NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Unofficial OpenELEC updater add-on (Dev Update)

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #46

Just seems like the addon is trying to do more than it needs to do. All it needs is to download the latest Kernel, Kernel MD5, System and System MD5 files, place them into the Update folder and prompt for a reboot. The rest is done by the Pi.

Even with OC'd Pi that process works fine, but with the addon, something else happens somewhere.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #47

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
joshmoulton wrote:
Just seems like the addon is trying to do more than it needs to do. All it needs is to download the latest Kernel, Kernel MD5, System and System MD5 files, place them into the Update folder and prompt for a reboot. The rest is done by the Pi.
Yes that's exactly what it does. Of course the update files are contained in a bzipped tar file so it also has to be decompressed and the files have to be extracted.

At the end of the process you end up with the four files in the .update folder, the same as if you put them there manually. The only difference I have found is that the files have 744 permissions when copying manually to the Update share, and 644 (i.e. not executable) when using the addon. I highly doubt this would make any difference to the update process though.
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #48

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
I've pushed out version 1.0.8. Here's the changelog.
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #49

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
1.0.9 has been pushed to the repo. This just adds a progress bar for the md5 verification, which takes longer than I expected on RPi.

Hopefully I'll get a chance soon to look into the system update issue on RPi that's been reported by some.
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #50

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
joshmoulton wrote:
It screws the update each time, but if I manually move the files needed to the Update folder on the RPi it works fine after a reboot. Not sure what causes it to not work with the users addon
I've been running the addon on an overclocked RPi in an attempt to reproduce your problem but for me the update works perfectly every time. Maybe the recent builds are more stable in that respect.

Here are the overclock settings I am currently using:
arm_freq=920
  core_freq=330
  sdram_freq=450
  over_voltage=2
  force_turbo=0
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #51

• gggie
  • Fresh Boarder
So this continues to work great for me, but one weird thing I noticed that may be a bug: if you go through system/addons to get addons, at the screen where it lists addon repositories (where it shows openelec's and xbmc.org's repositories), it for some reason lists this add-on as well, as though this add-on were a repository. :blink:

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #52

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
@gggie I'm glad this is working well for you. Which machine type do you use?

I also noticed what you describe. This is happening because I made the addon self-updating, using the instructions here. It seemed more convenient to distribute it like that rather than requiring a repo to be installed first.

I agree it doesn't seem correct that it shows up as a repo. This could be an XBMC issue. If it's supposed to be shown I would expect it to be called OpenELEC Dev Update Repository (as specified in addon.xml) not OpenELEC Dev Update. It also doesn't make sense to use the addon's description as the repo description.

I'll ask the question on the XBMC forum.
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #53

• gggie
  • Fresh Boarder

I use Generic build on custom built htpc.

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #54

Weird, not sure. I even tried with a default config.txt tonight and it did the same thing. How long on average should it take after reboot?

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #55

• lrusak
Leopold wrote:

I also noticed what you describe. This is happening because I made the addon self-updating, using the instructions here. It seemed more convenient to distribute it like that rather than requiring a repo to be installed first.

I agree it doesn't seem correct that it shows up as a repo. This could be an XBMC issue. If it's supposed to be shown I would expect it to be called OpenELEC Dev Update Repository (as specified in addon.xml) not OpenELEC Dev Update. It also doesn't make sense to use the addon's description as the repo description.

I'll ask the question on the XBMC forum.

You should just create your own repo. It is easy to do and will match the XBMC format.

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #56

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
lrusak wrote:
You should just create your own repo. It is easy to do and will match the XBMC format.
It is already connected to a repo on Google code, that's how it is able to keep up-to-date. I didn't see the point in distributing a repo zip (which would require two steps to install the addon) if I could just supply the repo information in an addon zip (only requiring one step to install).

This is all documented on the XBMC wiki.
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 11 months ago #57

• XSnPX
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Leopold wrote:
joshmoulton wrote:

Here are the overclock settings I am currently using:
arm_freq=920
  core_freq=330
  sdram_freq=450
  over_voltage=2
  force_turbo=0

Hi Leopold,

I tried ur OC setting and again, no update possible and script error when decompressing. Everything is great without any OC.

How did you do it fo rit not to crash on yours? Does it have to do with the quality of your SD card? I am currently using Kingston 4gb SDHC class 4.

Thank you for any support on this, as when i use the OC, its quite a snappy little machine :)

Thanks.

B.

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 10 months ago #58

• Leopold
  • Expert Boarder
XSnPX wrote:
I tried ur OC setting and again, no update possible and script error when decompressing. Everything is great without any OC.
Do you actually get a script error or does XBMC crash and then restart? If I crank up the overclock settings I can get XBMC to crash during the decompression so I will try to investigate what causes that. If it's a script error can you follow the instructions here to post a log.
XSnPX wrote:
How did you do it fo rit not to crash on yours? Does it have to do with the quality of your SD card? I am currently using Kingston 4gb SDHC class 4.
I'm using a 4GB class 10, perhaps it's worth trying one of those. A good quality charger supplying at least 1A is apparently also very important. There seems to be quite a large variation between different RPis though, so you might just be unlucky.
Leopold's Repo - zip
- OpenELEC Dev Update
- OpenELEC RPi Config

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 10 months ago #59

• lrusak
Leopold wrote:
It is already connected to a repo on Google code, that's how it is able to keep up-to-date. I didn't see the point in distributing a repo zip (which would require two steps to install the addon) if I could just supply the repo information in an addon zip (only requiring one step to install).

This is all documented on the XBMC wiki.
I understand this, It is just a messy way to do it.

Re: Addon to Install Development Builds 4 years 10 months ago #60

• XSnPX
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi there,

I got a new type of SD card which is the Sandisk Ultra 8gb class 10, hopefully the OC will be more stable on new updates.

WHich brings me to your add-on... some websites already have later versions of the build... at the moment running the last one 12577, will your add-on also include the new version 3 BETA ones eventually?

Thank you

Ben.