NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: x264 decoding stutters on Raspberry Pi

x264 decoding stutters on Raspberry Pi 2 years 10 months ago #1

• Arp
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I use openelec (now version 5) on a Raspberry Pi. I always encode my blurays using x264 to an external hard drive which is connected to the raspberry.
Now, sometimes the video stutters for a bit. Not only with 1080p, but also 720p. Most of the time it seems to appear in dark scenes. Most of the time, it goes away after a scene changes. The funny thing is, if I go back 30 seconds and replay the same scene, everything is smooth, no stuttering at all, which seems to implicate some kind of buffering problem?

Just now I encountered this problem, rewinded and then the stuttering was gone. I stoped the playback, started something else, and then went back to the same file, and the stuttering startet again. It is always at the same point in the video, which seems to implicate wrong encoding settings? (which would be bad... I dont want to encode everything again :D). When I want to play the same file back with vlc on my pc, everything is smooth as it should be.

And the last thing, I could swear that in an older version of openelec ... something like 3.2, this issue was not present.

Any Ideas?
Thx.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

x264 decoding stutters on Raspberry Pi 2 years 8 months ago #2

• sygin
  • Fresh Boarder
I too have a similar problem (OpenELEC 5.0.0 to 5.0.5) RPi B+ and RPi2.

Video 1080p24 h264 file with AC3 5.1 will stutter in some places for a few seconds (NFS and local SD card).

A sample with this behavior: www.speedyshare.com/6Cv4v/download/StutterTest.mkv

For the sample above stuttering will start at around 32 seconds and can clearly be seen around 33 - 36 seconds. If the stereo track is selected I do not get stutter.

File is encoded with Handbrake 6874svn (x86_64).

To work around this issue, I start the video and play it for 5 seconds. I then skip back once (to the start of the video). Playback will then be 100% smooth after this skip back for the rest of the runtime. If I play the same file with stereo AAC track this problem does not occur.

I have tried video sync settings, cache size and mode changes, audio pass-through, playing the file off the local SD card (class 10 card), overclocking GPU & CPU, etc but nothing seems to help.

Insight is appreciated.

x264 decoding stutters on Raspberry Pi 2 years 8 months ago #3

• Shaun2029
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
To get smooth HD playback on the Raspberry PI for Openelec 5.0 try turning off OMXPlayer acceleration.

Settings->Video->Acceleration

Disable OMXPlayer acceleration and enable MMAL acceleration.
MMAL acceleration is enabled by default.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inspector71, cortez8592

x264 decoding stutters on Raspberry Pi 2 years 4 months ago #4

• inspector71
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks. This tip helped me get audio playing smoothly again when viewing streaming media. Sweet!

x264 decoding stutters on Raspberry Pi 2 years 2 months ago #5

• stayloa
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi - I've also experienced this issue on 5.0.8 and disabling OMX Player helped.

Any idea what the problem is?

This thread seems to say that it should have been fixed since 5.0.7?

Thanks,