NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Advice on Hardware

Advice on Hardware 2 years 7 months ago #1

• pokeguru87
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a question on what people would recommend for hardware.

Currently I have a box with Asrock Mother Board with a G2020 (Specs) with a 8GB stick of RAM (graphics memory is shared, so system ram is actually about 7GB). I use PVR from a ServerWMC backend. All my cable streams are MPEG-2 with AAC (most are 5.1 although it varies between that and 2.0 depending on the channel). Currently I use the Intel graphics with it doing DTS and Dolby pass through to my sound system on the HDMI. Most of my stuff plays just fine, but I cannot turn on post-processing or it starts getting a bit jerky and interlacing leads to some rather odd behavior. This isn't very evident when watching my PVR streams, but when ever I start any of my 10bit videos it becomes painfully obvious. Things are just fine although sometimes it feels like there are Frame skips (although it doesn't show any in the info panel).

So, what I want to know, is would be worth upgrading to a dedicated Video Card, more specifically a GT730 (this one)? Personally, I can live without interlacing or post-processing effects, but if it might help with some of the periodic UI sluggishness it would be worth the money for the new card alone even if doesn't help video playback. So what is everyone's thoughts? What would be the pluses of upgrading the video? Would this be a worthwhile upgrade, or should I just stick with the built-in Intel Graphics?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Advice on Hardware 2 years 7 months ago #2

• nickr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 132
I don't know much about that particular processor, but given it is not all that old I think it should be pretty good (and therefore something else is wrong).

However you'll probably get more thorough advice here though. forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112
The administrator has disabled public write access.