NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AMD/ATI x1900 r580 tv out issue

AMD/ATI x1900 r580 tv out issue 1 year 5 months ago #1

• hugo
  • Junior Boarder
Hello,

I am trying to understand why my TV out s-video is all messed up on my ati x1900 r580 graphics card. This is an OLD system & an OLD TV. I dont wanna hear you need to upgrade. If we all upgraded the landfills would explode.

Anyway here are the specs:
Pent D 3 GHZ
1GB DDR2 667
ATI x1900 All in wonder.
Running openelec 4.2.1 - 6.0.3 same results

Everything works great except the TV out via s video. Its scrambled kinda with huge lines and discolored. I have 2 other systems that have had s video out and both have worked without issue. 1 was nvidia and the other used intel 960 graphics with s video out both have worked with this TV fine at 1024x768 res. I watch only SD content on this system although 720 plays fine I dont see the difference with the s-video out.

I have tried many xorg.conf but I am new to using xorg to solve this problem and dont really know what I am doing. I can not find a xorg file for my x1900 so this maybe why openelec just freezes when I try to boot with a xorg file like the following:

Section "Device"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
EndSection

What am I missing?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

AMD/ATI x1900 r580 tv out issue 1 year 5 months ago #2

• gda
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 145
hugo wrote:
I dont wanna hear you need to upgrade. If we all upgraded the landfills would explode.
If you don't want to upgrade, don't expect support. The OpenELEC team can't keep this old hardware just for doing tests.
Getting help from users could be difficult, because they seldom find this forum and are often not very experienced.

Gerald

AMD/ATI x1900 r580 tv out issue 1 year 5 months ago #3

• hugo
  • Junior Boarder
Your response Does nothing to help me. However I think I figured it out. I used another s-video TV to properly get the ati driver to see the TV, than I swapped back and it worked properly. This means its a driver identifying the proper display, it could be solved with a xorg.conf. This is what I need your help with GDA. Can you help me figure out how to write a proper xorg.conf for ATI driver?

Thanks

AMD/ATI x1900 r580 tv out issue 1 year 5 months ago #4

• gda
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 145
hugo wrote:
Your response Does nothing to help me.
It is not always possible to help everybody.

hugo wrote:
This is what I need your help with GDA. Can you help me figure out how to write a proper xorg.conf for ATI driver?
Sorry but no. I have never used AMD graphics and this will never happen. They make lousy drivers for Linux. All my OpenELEC devices are now ARM powered and even don't use a X11 server.

Gerald
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by gda.

AMD/ATI x1900 r580 tv out issue 1 year 5 months ago #5

• hugo
  • Junior Boarder
Alright I think I got it now anyway. its weird that the xorg file cant somehow be created to work with ati. I have tried like 100 combos and wasted a lot of time on this and still nothing works except the physical swap I did where I got the settings to stay once I swapped back. Very weird. If anyone else has an s-video issue this is prob your only hope with an AMD setup. Nvidia is a hella of a lot easier.