NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: playback issues

playback issues 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• OniBocho
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everyone.

I am running the latest OpenElec on a Raspi 2 (recently migrated from OSMC) and I have been having trouble with MKV playback for a couple of weeks now. The full setup is:

a Raspi 1 Model B+ as a NAS (SMB and NFS) server, two hard drives attached to it and the Kodi Krypton 17.3 Raspi 2 as a player, connected to my Panasonic VT50 TV.

The problem is that most dark areas of the video is hard-pixelated, almost as if it were on SD and it is especially visible between different brightness sections of these dark areas, eg fabric, clothes in general etc etc

The thing is that when I attach the HDD containing the files to the VT50 and use the TV's media player, everything seems absolutely fine. So it's not a matter of the source video file, or a corruption of some kind.

The MKV files are usually 1080p (some are 720p) L4 profile and I have bought the VC1 and MPEG2 codecs from the foundation, which I've put in the /flash/config.txt file.

I am not very certain about the next thing I'm writing, but it's pretty possible this thing started longer than 2 weeks ago, when I was still running OSMC on my Raspi2, but quite possibly not in this scale.

I've searched this forum and others, tried different HDMI cables, different power cables, switched on and off the two hardware acceleration settings on the Player Settings menu, nothing seems to fix it.

The test file I've been using lately gives this media info:

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1h 28mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 3 500 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Does anyone have an idea on what I need to do? Thank you all in advance!
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by OniBocho.
The administrator has disabled public write access.