NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro

[GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 10 months ago #1

• therio
  • Staff
  • Thank you received: 185
First of all, all credits go to Evanrich, as I mainly use his how-to, posted on the XBMC.org forum. I found this so easy to use that I wanted to replicate it and use it here as a guide for everyone to make his/her own distro for expirimental use.
Also I want to add to it, that every build is on your own "risk". Things can go wrong and other "optimisations" are still in test-phase which could make your build more buggier than the nightly builds provided on this site.
On the other side this guide will show you how easy it is to make your own build (thanks to Evanrich).

At last I want to say that I don't know how to add customisations/plugins/other drivers and or patches. I want to invite everybody who does know, to help me complete this how to and get people more involved in suchs processes.

First of all, it's required that you run a Linux distro like Ubuntu, Fedora or other well known OS's. It doesn't matter if you run them in a virtual machine or as main OS.

Also you need a working version of Openelec on your Media Center computer. These can be downloaded and installed from this site. No need for compiling them as they already been compiled for you. The guide how to do this can also be found on the forum of this site. Make sure you have editted the update.conf file, so that updates are installed automatically!

-On your "Linux" computer, you open a new terminal window
MAKE SURE YOU AREN'T LOGGED IN WITH ROOT RIGHTS. They aren't needed, but can do much harm to your computer which is compiling the distro

-Install git with the following command, if you aren't sure if it is installed already, it doesn't matter, the code will work or say that it isn't needed:
sudo apt-get install git

Go to the documents map, using the following code:
cd Documents

-Now we're going to download the needed files to combine from git. It is like downloading the raw code to build a compact image. The following command will download the needed files directly into the OpenELEC.tv map which will be created in your user-documents map (findable under: locations -> documents).
git clone https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv.git

After downloading all files, you can edit, remove and/or add everything to make your own customised version of Openelec. Once more, I haven't tried this yet so I cannot give you tips about it.

When done editing/adding/removing, go back to your terminal-window, and browse to your location. You can do that with the following command which is directing you to the map inside your user-rootmap:
cd Documents/OpenELEC.tv

For compiling a specific build, which I would recommend because of time and unneeded other builds for other systems, choose one of the following codes to start compiling:

to build an ION build (32bit):
PROJECT=ION ARCH=i386 make release

to build an ION build (64bit):
PROJECT=ION ARCH=x86_64 make release

to build an Fusion build (32bit):
PROJECT=Fusion ARCH=i386 make release

to build an Fusion build (64bit):
PROJECT=Fusion ARCH=x86_64 make release

to build an Intel build (32bit):
PROJECT=Intel ARCH=i386 make release

to build an Intel build (64bit):
PROJECT=Intel ARCH=x86_64 make release

to build an Ultra build(64bit):
PROJECT=Ultra ARCH=x86_64 make release

to build an generic build (32bit):
PROJECT=Generic ARCH=i386 make release

to build an Apple TV build (32bit):
PROJECT=ATV ARCH=i386 make release

Other flags that can be used when compiling:
PVR=yes DEBUG=yes

After you have put in the command, it is gonna take some hours to make it.
When it is ready, you can find your build in the OpenELEC.tv map in the target map.
There will be a tarball like our nightly builds there. Unpack and update like you normally do, and reboot. This will update your old Openelec install to your new created version.

Don't delete the files on your "Linux" computer yet, they can be useful if you want to compile a new version. Instead, open the map build.OpenELEC-XXXX.XXXX.devel and select "show hidden files" in the top bar (I think it is under "View", currently working with a Dutch translated version which says "Beeld").
Now all maps are showing and you can deleted them all except the map .ccache, this will make the time to compile a new build much shorter.

If you're going to compile a new build weeks/months later, it maybe wise to delete the whole OpenELEC.tv map. This ensures you that you will download all the latest tools and updates.

That's just it.

Another note, if you run in to compiling issues, report them through github -> issues.
A thank you is nice, but a donation is more needed ;)
Thanks in advance!!
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by newphreak.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sraue, MindTooth, grzegorzc, Whiskey, ace2883, l0gden, Nasp, winniwinter and this user have 2 others thankyou

[GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 10 months ago #2

• MindTooth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Really sweet :)

Credits to the both of you...

Ed1t: I would think that you need the building tools as well.
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by MindTooth. Reason: Building tools.

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 10 months ago #3

• saik0
On Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake, Gentoo, & Fedora (and maybe other variants of those) the build scripts should automatically install the necessary host tools needed to build the toolchain.

Nice guide, by the way. If you make changes and want to stay up to date the easiest way is to store all your uncomitted changes
git stash
Update the source:
git pull
Then re-apply your changes:
git stash apply
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by saik0. Reason: Edit for copypasteability(tm)

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 10 months ago #4

• Evanrich
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
saik0 wrote:
On Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake, Gentoo, & Fedora (and maybe other variants of those) the build scripts should automatically install the necessary host tools needed to build the toolchain.

Nice guide, by the way. If you make changes and want to stay up to date the easiest way is to store all your uncomitted changes
git stash
Update the source:
git pull
git stash apply

Thanks for the Nod, I couldn't have figured it out the first time without Stephan's help though. As for build tools, at least on my system they did not auto-download, when I get some free time monday I'll create a new VM and redo the steps, writing down EVERY package you'll need to do your own builds.
HTPC: Zotac ION-A-U with 4GB ram & 32GB SSD
Build box/File Server: W2k8 R2, AMD x3 455, 14TB RAID 5 with 2TB Samsung HD204UI drives.

Too lazy to roll your own builds? take mine: http://www.mediafire.com/openelec
Want to check my build status? check here:EvanRich's Jenkins CI server

Aw: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 10 months ago #5

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 650
many thanks for this guide, some comments from me :-)
therio wrote:
When it is ready, you can find your build in the OpenELEC.tv map in the target map.
There are 2 files (ending with .kernel and .system). Copy this files into your update map of your media center computer and restart it. This will update your old Openelec install to your new created version.

the *.kernel and *.system file must be renamed/copied to KERNEL and SYSTEM before copying to the update share, otherwise the update will not work, because it searches for exactly this files.

also an "PROJECT=xxx ARCH=xxx make release" creates an tarball which is the same that i release.

maybe you can include this things in this howto :-)

Stephan

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 10 months ago #6

• therio
  • Staff
  • Thank you received: 185
saik0 wrote:

git stash
Update the source:
git pull
git stash apply

Hi saik0,

Thanks for your comment. I want to update the how-to, only I'm not sure what to delete.
Is it only this part:
If you're going to compile a new build weeks/months later, it maybe wise to delete the whole OpenELEC.tv map. This ensures you that you will download all the latest tools and updates.
Or do I need to delete the part above it too?

Thanks for your help.

Therio
A thank you is nice, but a donation is more needed ;)
Thanks in advance!!

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 8 months ago #7

• josh4trunks
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
So how would I go about adding the ffmpeg package to openelec in this step "After downloading all files, you can edit, remove and/or add everything to make your own customised version of Openelec. Once more, I haven't tried this yet so I cannot give you tips about it." Thanks!!!

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 8 months ago #8

• mcorcoran
  • Fresh Boarder
I would also be interested in more information on how to add packages to your own distro. In my case I'm looking to add VLC in order to use the Multiroom audio plugin.

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #9

• boulala
Great guide but would anybody care to explaine the steps to add new software to us noobs. i would like to build my own and add makemkv so that i can play blu-ray discs.

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #10

• Juno
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Id like to add wifi drivers for my rig.
How to do that?
GJ

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #11

• Telebuddy
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm in the process of trying to add the drivers for my USB DVB device. I think I'm pretty close to getting it to work just need a few more tweaks.

If/when I get it working, I'll put together some step of what I did that will hopefully help everyone else.

I should have something up by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Phil

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #12

• demod
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
sudo apt-get install g++ nasm flex bison gawk autopoint gperf autoconf automake m4 cvs libtool byacc texinfo gettext zlib1g-dev libncurses5-dev

is all you need to install all the tools required for a compile. Might save a fair amount of googling. (thought I'd take note this time after a fresh install!)

cheers,

demod
The following user(s) said Thank You: Telebuddy, lallhands, viljoviitanen

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #13

• Telebuddy
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks demod, I thought bout writing down the additional tools I had to install to get my build to work but forgot, then couldn't remember all the package names.

I think most of those have already been mentioned in another thread except for the zlib and libncurses required to get the missing headers.

Cheers,

Phil

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #14

• MindTooth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
To get started on Debian/Ubuntu, I would prefer this way to download the build tools:
$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
This should get you started with the needed tools.

Re: [GUIDE] How to build your own OpenELEC distro 6 years 7 months ago #15

• demod
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks.. much more elegant!