NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

WETEK Play

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide

[In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 5 months ago #1

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Introduction

After frustration with my Harmony One (and confusion over configuration options / conflicts with previous knowledge from XBMC LIRC/MCE Remote configuration processes) I decided to create a walk-through for configuring Logitech Harmony remotes (specifically the Harmony One). :cheer:

I truly hope that this guide will help others with their Harmony Remote configuration! The purpose of this guide is to provide a full and complete walkthrough for configuring your remote. B)

So... take a deep breath and relax, because this is a lot easier and much less intimidating than it seems! ;)

Standard Configuration Steps

Configuring Harmony Remote

Open your Harmony Software. I am running Logitech Harmony Remote Software 7.7.0 (for Mac).

Proceed to the Devices tab to add your HTPC as a device on the remote.

Click on the "Add Device" button, which will bring you to this screen...

From here, you will select to add a Media Center PC (as shown below):

You then need to choose Microsoft as the manufacturer and enter MCE for the model.

Click "Next" and you will be able to review the device information for your HTPC.

Once you finalize the process of adding your HTPC, you will see it listed under the "Devices" tab.

Now you can customize the device settings. Click on "Settings" for your HTPC device.

You are now able to choose from the above actions. You can rename your HTPC device to something more meaningful, customize buttons, and edit remote timings. We will jump straight to editing/modifying the buttons. (option shown in above image - "Customize Buttons")

The default settings for MCE remote will work properly! Please ensure they match the following (you are able to edit these to your liking but will also be required to remember those changes and make the proper adjustments during later stages of the configuration guide).

Once you have finished configuring the "Standard Buttons" you can move on to "Additional Buttons".

Always remember to update your Harmony One remote after you make changes! You can also add the HTPC device to various Harmony activities. I do not plan to cover this process in the configuration guide unless specifically requested.

At this point, you are ready to move forward with configuring your HTPC for use with the Harmony/MCE remote
. :)

Configuring XBMC (OpenELEC)

Once you have finished configuring the remote you can move on to settings on your HTPC. The settings I use are found under Settings --> System --> Input devices.

Under this section I have both "Remote control sends keyboard presses and Enable mouse DISABLED.

Advanced Configuration Steps

Custom Remote Functionality

Customization plays a big part in OpenELEC and XBMC. From skins, to add-ons, to playlists... and also remote configurations. This is arguably one of my favorite features, the ability to customize your buttons to perform the exact actions you desire!

This seems like a daunting task, but be assured that this is only intimidating because of loads of conflicting information (and information overload). Once you have a grasp on this process it is much simpler than you may realize. ;)

In order to completely customize the button functionality on your Harmony One, you must personalize the mappings in the keymap.xml file. Under OpenELEC, this file can be found at the following path ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps (which is shared via SMB under OPENELEC > Userdata > keymaps).

You can edit/modify this file on your local machine with a text editor. This helps with XML syntax if you are uncomfortable with XML. You can also SSH into your HTPC and use 'nano' to modify the file. The end result is same! ;)

I have included my keymap.xml file for reference. Feel free to use this to help with the customization of your keymap.xml B) See this pastebin link. Please note, this file is from the XBMC Github and includes my personal modifications and tweaks.

** Remember to save the keymap.xml file once you have finished your customizations! Also, reboot your HTPC so the settings will hold. :) **

Talk about keymap.xml (explain confusion with remote.xml and lircmap.xml)

Debugging Your Remote

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
Will include steps to debug your Harmony remote and identify IR commands

Advanced Logitech Harmony Configuration

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
Will include steps to fully customize the Harmony remote (including custom buttons/actions).

References/Important Links

XBMC Wiki: keymap.xml
XBMC Wiki: List of Built-in Functions
XBMC Wiki: List of Built-in Controls
Keymaps Included in XBMC (GitHub)
OpenELEC: AMD Athlon X4 | NVidia GT430 | 2x2Gb RAM | Gigabyte MoBo | Antec Case & PSU
FreeNAS: 4x1TB RAIDZ (additional 4x2TB soon)
Supporting Services: SABnzbd+, Couch Potato, Sick Beard on FreeNAS .7.2 AMD64 embedded
Home Theater: Panasonic VT25 | Yamaha RX667 | Panasonic 3D BluRay | Harmon Kardon...
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by bmcclure937.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scOOtt, hugohek

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 5 months ago #2

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
*RESERVED*

Overflow in case all content does not fit in first post!
OpenELEC: AMD Athlon X4 | NVidia GT430 | 2x2Gb RAM | Gigabyte MoBo | Antec Case & PSU
Supporting Services: SABnzbd+, Couch Potato, Sick Beard on FreeNAS .7.2 AMD64 embedded
Home Theater: Panasonic VT25 | Yamaha RX667 | Panasonic 3D BluRay | Harmon Kardon...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hugohek

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 5 months ago #3

• gilphilbert
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi bmcclure937,

If you complete your guide it will no doubt be added to the guide section in the documentation, so please keep up the work
:)
OpenELEC.tv - the future of XBMC...

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 5 months ago #4

• Bossanova808
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I've seen problems with people using 'MCE' as the device in the Harmony software - I've found it better to use 'Media Center Extender'. I think maybe the button mappings are better and maybe the timings too? I've been using it for ages so I can't recall what the problems actually were with MCE, but you might want to try the alternative...

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 5 months ago #5

• therio
  • Staff
  • Thank you received: 185
openelec.tv/find-help/documentation/howtos/item/configurating-your-harmony-one-remote

A start has been made already ;) If your guide is completed, we'll merge them into eachother.
A thank you is nice, but a donation is more needed ;)
Thanks in advance!!

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 5 months ago #6

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you both for the input. I will go ahead and continue with my guide and we can decide how to proceed once it is complete. :)

I was unaware of the other guide (as it was never listed until this point). Strange that once I started my guide another one pops up... :unsure::dry: with the same basic layout as mine.

My guide has been started, but only sections without the *UNDER CONSTRUCTION* message are completed. I still have some work to do in order to finalize my guide.

(as per the "Media Center Extender" vs "MCE" as device model... I appreciate the suggestion but have not had issues to this point using "MCE")

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #7

• therio
  • Staff
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi bmcclure937,

How's your progress on the guide?
A thank you is nice, but a donation is more needed ;)
Thanks in advance!!

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #8

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
Progress on the guide is great. Basic configuration is done, just need to finalize the "advanced customization". ;)

The guide is currently capable of instructing a new Harmony owner on how to configure the remote and get it working with OpenELEC. This includes all essential functionality.

More advanced personalization will be included (like keymap.xml).

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #9

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
Updated guide to include information on keymap.xml... section still under construction and deciding whether to provide more detailed explanation on how to edit file. Most information is easy to interpret from example keymap.xml file.

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #10

• Bossanova808
  • Expert Boarder
Suggestion - You could greatly simplify your keymap.xml example - you don't need to duplicate the whole github file, jsut put in your changes as your remote.xml subsumes the system one (ie xbmc first loads the standard one, then over the top the user one is added and re-programs anything you have in there, but all the base functionality is already there).

This way it's way too complex.

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #11

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks boss!! :) I was aware of a custom keymap.xml overriding the default keymap.xml but I did not know that you could simply include your custom changes within your custom xml file and leave out the default.

I agree that this does simplify the process. I still recommend looking at the keymap.xml file in its entirety to gain a better understanding of the format and how the customization works. Especially looking at the global and window-specific functions and actions.

I will refine the guide when I have time. What I have in place will work for now, as it is easy to copy/paste and use to see what the keymap.xml is made up of ;)

One question. When you make the changes as you describe, do you still use keymap.xml file or do you simply name it remote.xml :unsure: :dry:

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #12

• Bossanova808
  • Expert Boarder
I think of it from the functional end - i.e. in this section, I want to do this, so I do it all in kepmap.xml and can combine a remote and keyboard section under one area heading, if you see what I mean. That way all the stuff for a particular bit of xbmc is in one easy to find place....
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Bossanova808. Reason: Bad spelling!

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #13

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
I understand the formatting of the XML and how it works :) I was curious what the name the resulting XML file when I extract the "custom" pieces to place into the Userdata\keymaps directory.

Do I keep it named keymap.xml and it is just a simplified version. All of the core functionality is kept in the default keymap.xml file on the system but the custom actions/mappings override that from the user space?

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #14

• Bossanova808
  • Expert Boarder
yeah just keep it as userdatad\keymaps\keymap.xml and it overrides anything from the system one.

Re: [In Progress] Harmony One Complete Guide 5 years 4 months ago #15

• bmcclure937
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks! For now, it does not hurt to use the keymap.xml I have provided. This does not hurt... but the custom keymap.xml file could be greatly simplified, which would help distinguish the custom actions/mappings and make maintenance easier.

I do like having the entire keymap.xml file though to learn the structure. As I have said before, diving into the file and seeing the structure and how mappings are defined makes the whole configuration much easier to understand when trying to create your personalized mappings.
Moderators: lrusak