NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 10 months 2 weeks ago #106

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
jan wrote:
So where is Sraue???

According to commit logs, he's back to work on OpenELEC.
LibreELEC has its own problems when comes using Intel, apparently is built only for cheap Raspberry PI versions. OpenELEC was steady among platforms.

Completely false. If anything, it should be better due to more recent kernel, driver stack and Kodi version. I'm on Intel myself and it's working great.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by escalade.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 10 months 2 weeks ago #107

• m.hueske
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, looks like sraue had some time off. But when looking at github you can see that he is still developing OpenELEC further. I don't believe this project has died...
CuBox-i2ex
DVBSky S960 / Montage M88DS3103
Western Digital Elements 1TB USB HDD
Optoma HD131Xe Projector
Teufel Concept E 400 Digital "5.1-Set"

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 3 weeks ago #108

• patseguin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Is OpenElec dead? Haven't seen a new release or beta in a really long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim788e

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 2 weeks ago #109

• chewitt
Although Raspberry Pi is a large chunk of our userbase (same for OE) it is rarely a major focus for LE development simply because it has exceptional upstream support and requires little effort. If there are issues with LE and Intel devices they are not being reported to us via forums etc. so we assume there are no serious issues (users are normally shy with praise and vocal with issues). If you have factual evidence of a reproducible problem. Go report it else it will not be resolved.

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 2 weeks ago #110

• Roby77
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
PrvSAT wrote:
jan wrote:
Sraue hasn't left for LibreElec, Sraue is the founder/creator of OpenElec!!

in fact you can say he is OpenElec.

LibreELEC has its own problems when comes using Intel, apparently is built only for cheap Raspberry PI versions. OpenELEC was steady among platforms.

WHAT ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I use it on two intel boxes (milhouse kyrpton build ) and i don't see any problem

:blink:

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 2 weeks ago #111

• nickr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 132
PrvSAT wrote:
jan wrote:
Sraue hasn't left for LibreElec, Sraue is the founder/creator of OpenElec!!

in fact you can say he is OpenElec.

So where is Sraue???
Why not making the final release, just to not let unfinished business? Where is your pride Sraue?

what drugs are you on? Libreelec is built for

Rpi1
Rpi2/3
AMLogic
Generic PC with Intel, Nvidia or AMD graphics
Odroid C2
Wetek Core
Wetek Hub
Wetek Play
Wetek Play2

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #112

• PKOneTwo
  • Junior Boarder
chewitt wrote:
Although Raspberry Pi is a large chunk of our userbase (same for OE) it is rarely a major focus for LE development simply because it has exceptional upstream support and requires little effort. If there are issues with LE and Intel devices they are not being reported to us via forums etc. so we assume there are no serious issues (users are normally shy with praise and vocal with issues). If you have factual evidence of a reproducible problem. Go report it else it will not be resolved.

not true. There are several threads and posts (in LE forum) about intel platform (maybe not the newest braswell/haswell ones) having issues with stuttering playback. Since a few alphas now.
and no solution there. besides: do you even test those builds on most common plattforms?
at the looks at it, you don't do a thorough testing (at least on intel).

for example: on the last alphas: when having (10 oder lets say 40 files in a playslist, mkv) and zapping through a files (30 sec forward) and then jumping to next file....when you do that 7 oder 10 times (sometimes more) then it freezes...and yeah i checked my hardware...reproduceable...intel Ivy plattform (celeron 1007u, 4 GB Ram, 120 GB SSD)

don't have this problem with latest OE self made build
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by PKOneTwo.

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #113

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
"Several threads", and how many Intel users do you think there are in total that does not have any problems? I have both a haswell and an ivy bridge and they run perfectly smooth for me on LE. Keep in mind that it's perfectly possible that you and others have configured something wrong. I can jump through files no problem. Where is your thread with logs?

*ELEC is simply a Linux distribution. Intel is the best supported platform bar none on Linux, they have lots of skilled devs writing code for the upstream kernel. The latest and greatest like Apollo/Kaby Lake will need a more recent kernel, so older releases might need backported patches for those.

LE and OE master is very equal in kernel and Kodi version so the differences (with regards to Intel support) are minimal.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by escalade.

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #114

• PKOneTwo
  • Junior Boarder
escalade wrote:
"Several threads", and how many Intel users do you think there are in total that does not have any problems? I have both a haswell and an ivy bridge and they run perfectly smooth for me on LE. Keep in mind that it's perfectly possible that you and others have configured something wrong. I can jump through files no problem. Where is your thread with logs?

*ELEC is simply a Linux distribution. Intel is the best supported platform bar none on Linux, they have lots of skilled devs writing code for the upstream kernel. The latest and greatest like Apollo/Kaby Lake will need a more recent kernel, so older releases might need backported patches for those.

LE and OE master is very equal in kernel and Kodi version so the differences (with regards to Intel support) are minimal.

Why don't you look it up in LE Forum before you praise LE to the skies? (BTW: this is an OE forum)
there are more than "some" people having the same issue!
And if you have such a BIG issue (stuttering) and that for 3-4 alpha releases = than you should better try to fix it...but, LE is more for cutting edge than bug free!

And again, i would recommend you read carefully:
OE (self made latest build = no issue...stuttering or bug that i reported above)...LE both issues...how can that be = being ironic B)
If you read what sraue writes time to time, you would know why...
And NO, they don't use "very equal" kernel or Kodi version. What ever "very equal" shoud mean.

Just my 2 cents: you want a reliable KODI port = use OE...otherwise have fun with bugged version of a Kodi port with LE (same goes for LE 7.02 = stable)
Maybe that'll change, but for now that is the case...it's up to you...

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #115

• nickr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 132
PKOneTwo wrote:
escalade wrote:

Why don't you look it up in LE Forum before you praise LE to the skies? (BTW: this is an OE forum)
And if you have such a BIG issue (stuttering) and that for 3-4 alpha releases = than you should better try to fix it...but, LE is more for cutting edge than bug free!

OE (self made latest build = no issue...stuttering or bug that i reported above)...LE both issues...how can that be = being ironic B)
And NO, they don't use "very equal" kernel or Kodi version. What ever "very equal" shoud mean.

Just my 2 cents: you want a reliable KODI port = use OE...otherwise have fun with bugged version of a Kodi port with LE (same goes for LE 7.02 = stable)

wow such hatred...

I struggle to find these le forum posts you are talking about. Just had an addmittedly quick hunt around on their forum, and can't find any that describe this problem on intel.

Perhaps point out the urls to some?

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #116

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
PKOneTwo wrote:

I can't see that I was praising either, in fact LE/OE devs do very little for Intel support this is done by Intel themselves.

You're just repeating the same bs. I still have Intel hardware and playback is still smooth, I've been on Ivy Bridge and Haswell for 3 years.

I did read it and replied and you still failed to point to a real error report with logs.

You realize that both are open source projects, right? Just go look yourself.

OE master: Linux 4.9-rc8 Kodi master (close to b6)
LE master: Linux 4.8.12 Kodi beta6

That is quite "equal". They even share the same patch set for Kodi/kernel. Logically, considering LE is a fork. Both projects cherry-pick and share stuff between eachother now.

Your 2 cents is worth exactly that, considering that you are talking out of your behind. You fail to realize that OE/LE is simply a set of build scripts to put together a minimal distro for running Kodi. They use pretty much the same software. Saying that one ships a "bugged version of a Kodi port" is factually wrong.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by escalade.

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #117

• panusha
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #118

• PKOneTwo
  • Junior Boarder
nickr wrote:
PKOneTwo wrote:
escalade wrote:

wow such hatred...

I struggle to find these le forum posts you are talking about. Just had an addmittedly quick hunt around on their forum, and can't find any that describe this problem on intel.

Perhaps point out the urls to some?

look (mostly) in toe developemetn and bug reports section...a lot of folks have this issue (some even with with OE 7 beta as well as LE 7) with LE alpha.
i gues you have to go though it all...some folk even posted bug reports...the issue wa snot resolved until today

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #119

• PKOneTwo
  • Junior Boarder
escalade wrote:
PKOneTwo wrote:

I can't see that I was praising either, in fact LE/OE devs do very little for Intel support this is done by Intel themselves.

Wrong. just wrong. Di you know what sraue did in the past with intel?
Did you even look into the commits (since OE 6) before posting BS again? i guess your BS is coming out of your mouth as well as your back.
sarue communicated some stuff with intel developers (hints were in the commits). And he did implement more stable drive version (don't know if modified or not, didn't look into the code, but the comments in the commits well showed he adapted it very well).

escalade wrote:

You're just repeating the same bs. I still have Intel hardware and playback is still smooth, I've been on Ivy Bridge and Haswell for 3 years.

You and your HW go and give a visit to my behind. that's what your BS is worth.
Lots of folks having issues and they are wrong because you said so...sure

escalade wrote:

I did read it and replied and you still failed to point to a real error report with logs.

Your no Dev, you dind't even read the commits and at the looks at it, you pretty much doing shit here....why the hell should i give that to you?
If intereted read yourself into it...go through bug reports in LE page by page..you'll find it soon enough

escalade wrote:

You realize that both are open source projects, right? Just go look yourself.

OE master: Linux 4.9-rc8 Kodi master (close to b6)
LE master: Linux 4.8.12 Kodi beta6

That is quite "equal". They even share the same patch set for Kodi/kernel. Logically, considering LE is a fork. Both projects cherry-pick and share stuff between eachother now.

BIG BS again...by the time this beta came out sraue dind't push the 4.9 kernel and the latest build is with an older kernel...
so no they were not even "equal" kernel versions

escalade wrote:

Your 2 cents is worth exactly that, considering that you are talking out of your behind. You fail to realize that OE/LE is simply a set of build scripts to put together a minimal distro for running Kodi. They use pretty much the same software. Saying that one ships a "bugged version of a Kodi port" is factually wrong.

Well, everyone can read, except you...maybe you read into the discussion between LE Devs and Sraue and why they splitted...
LE is more cutting edge, near KODI...sraue did stress out: he wanted a less bugged version and din't care for using older kernels, drivers, ol,der libraries or KODI...

and is is a set of libraries...scripts are only used for compiling them...you really repeat shit you read somwhere....
Anyhow folks: seems my 2 cents are worth something...anyone who can read, please do

[Beta] OpenELEC 7.0 beta 3 released 8 months 1 week ago #120

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
Well, looks like I got served. So much deep facts and truth in that post I give up :) Have a nice day.

EDIT: Changed my mind, I'll answer you just in case people actually buy into this nonsense. That plus I have too much spare time.
Wrong. just wrong. Di you know what sraue did in the past with intel?

What's wrong? Please be more specific. I'm not aware of mr sraue writing any Intel code whatsoever. Please do point me to these magical commits. Nearly all Intel patches have come from fritsch and I'm not sure if the code is his to begin with either.
Did you even look into the commits (since OE 6) before posting BS again? i guess your BS is coming out of your mouth as well as your back.
sarue communicated some stuff with intel developers (hints were in the commits). And he did implement more stable drive version (don't know if modified or not, didn't look into the code, but the comments in the commits well showed he adapted it very well).

Sure, I've been following commits since around OE2/OE3. Do you mind detailing what I've said that is BS?

Again with these super Intel patches from sraue. Wanna link the specific ones you are talking about that has been written by him? Should be pretty easy.

You've still failed to point to a proper error report with logs as I've asked several times. Lots of people are on Intel without any issue whatsoever.

There are as of this writing 5 Intel patches in LE, 3 of which are shared with OE.
You and your HW go and give a visit to my behind. that's what your BS is worth.
Lots of folks having issues and they are wrong because you said so...sure

So, where are the reports from all these people with issues?

Just this statement here is not enought to make any conclusions. How was the testing conducted, did you do clean installs or simply migrated between distro's keeping settings? And where are the logs ;)
Your no Dev, you dind't even read the commits and at the looks at it, you pretty much doing shit here....why the hell should i give that to you?

How do you define a dev? I have commits both in OE and LE and I have my own fork, does that count?

You don't need to give anything to me, but your statements lack meaning without anything to back them up.
If intereted read yourself into it...go through bug reports in LE page by page..you'll find it soon enough

There's been two people from the LE community that commented they couldn't find it already, so let's leave it at that.

No?

OpenELEC kernel version
LibreELEC kernel version

Like I said, it's open source. You can disagree all you like, you'll still be wrong.
BIG BS again...by the time this beta came out sraue dind't push the 4.9 kernel and the latest build is with an older kernel...
so no they were not even "equal" kernel versions

I don't understand, are you claiming there is a huge difference between Linux 4.8 and 4.9?

They are both using the same version of Kodi (as of this writing both projects are at beta7), and they have mostly the same patches. Logically, as LE is a fork. Everything is the same up to the very build flags used.
Well, everyone can read, except you...maybe you read into the discussion between LE Devs and Sraue and why they splitted...

Sure I did. I even had the story re-told by people who were actually involved.
LE is more cutting edge, near KODI...sraue did stress out: he wanted a less bugged version and din't care for using older kernels, drivers, ol,der libraries or KODI...

Uhm, what now? The fork happened because sraue wanted a less bugged version? Are you listening to yourself?
and is is a set of libraries...scripts are only used for compiling them...you really repeat shit you read somwhere....

You literally just recommended reading this and that, only to attack me for repeating something I read. It sounds to me like you are talking about yourself, because it's not "shit I read somewhere", it's facts. OpenELEC by it's very nature is what you call a buildroot, a set of tools to build a minimal Linux distribution. It's not even original, it was based on GeeXboX. You want to argue with this, go right ahead and make yourself look even more silly.
Anyhow folks: seems my 2 cents are worth something...anyone who can read, please do

They're still not worth anything, as your statements have been proven wrong.

There, now I'll let everyone go back to the original discussion. Which is long dead anyway ;)
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by escalade.