• Page:

TOPIC: Compilation blues

Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #1

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello there, be gentle this is my first time in this forum and I am very new to the world of compilers and cross compilers! Trying to get the OpenELEC XBMC image compiled for my Rasberry Pi, my base system is Lubuntu 12.04 (Virtual Box VM) with the prerequisites completed as per the WiKi but after a few hours of cimpilation it all halted with the following error:

/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: /home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc.so: hidden symbol `__start___libc_subfreeres' isn't defined
/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/elf'
make[2]: *** [elf/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc'
make: *** [system] Error 2
markyd@Luby:~/OpenELEC.tv$

..... anyone got any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #2

• NisseDILLIGAF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I managed to fix this by changing in the file /OpenELEC.tv/config/path

change (line 109)
export CCACHE_DIR=$HOME/.ccache-openelec

to

export CCACHE_DIR=$ROOT/$BUILD/.ccache-openelec

this get me past the error with eglibc-2.15-18222

but I haven't tried the new images...
The following user(s) said Thank You: markyd

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #3

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
.... cheers, I won't pretend to understand how you figured that out :-) file edited and going in for another run ... will post results as soon as I have them, cheers!

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #4

• NisseDILLIGAF
  • Junior Boarder
I cant take credit for it...
I found it on the Raspberry pi forum :)

www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5163&p=79282

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #5

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
:-( boo hisss I did have hi hope but alas to no avail ...

s /home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/elf/interp.os /home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/elf/ld.so -lgcc
/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/linkobj/libc_pic.a: file not recognized: File truncated
make[2]: *** [/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/linkobj/libc.so] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc'
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by markyd. Reason: spelling mistake

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #6

• NisseDILLIGAF
  • Junior Boarder
hmm... strange... I had the same problem and after I changed CCACHE_DIR it worked..
have u tried starting from scratch with new git clone, change CCACHE_DIR then make?

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #7

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
..... I may be getting closer to an explanation ... just HOW MUCH SPACE is required for this lark? My VM is a standard issue 8GB and its not doing much else and the OpenELEC folder I just deleted is over 2.9GB ... excuse the shouting but my disk is full and I haven't done anything yet. I will empty my bin, remove as much crud as I can and re-run. Report back in a few hours.

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #8

• ultraman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 579
More than 10 GB.
ultraman == vpeter
Spotify build instructions
my Opera web browser addon (not for RPi)
Sundtek and HDHomeRun DVB driver addons
TBS, media_build, s2-liplianin unofficial images

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #9

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
Seriously? More than 10GB to make a 100MB image? oh .... then it will have to wait until tomorrow when I get to a proper laptop then :-) thanks for letting me know and may someone could add this little nugget of info to the instructions page. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

.... just for the record I did a clean re-run in the VM and it sorted out the original error but its still chunttering away so guess it will run out of space soon :-)

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #10

• ultraman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 579
You have to understand that almost everything is build from scratch. Including compiler, libraries, ...
ultraman == vpeter
Spotify build instructions
my Opera web browser addon (not for RPi)
Sundtek and HDHomeRun DVB driver addons
TBS, media_build, s2-liplianin unofficial images

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #11

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
... you have hit the nail on the head ... I don't understand. Don't get me wrong I work in IT (ok networks) and have quite a few Linux box's around but the last time I did any serious programming was in the 80's with a Jupiter ACE ... and that was interpenetrated so compilers and all their associated Voodoo is a mystery. But that's what the Raspberry Pi is all about isn't it learning the various skills set associated with the lower level aspects of computer life. I appreciate your help and patience and everyone else who is bothered enough to give up their time to help others.

MarkyD

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #12

• shinji257
  • Fresh Boarder
markyd wrote:
Hello there, be gentle this is my first time in this forum and I am very new to the world of compilers and cross compilers! Trying to get the OpenELEC XBMC image compiled for my Rasberry Pi, my base system is Lubuntu 12.04 (Virtual Box VM) with the prerequisites completed as per the WiKi but after a few hours of cimpilation it all halted with the following error:

/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: /home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc.so: hidden symbol `__start___libc_subfreeres' isn't defined
/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
make[3]: *** [/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/markyd/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/elf'
make[2]: *** [elf/subdir_lib] Error 2

..... anyone got any ideas?

This is an issue with it building libc for gcc. The issue stems from the host OS using Make 3.81. In order to resolve the issue you actually need to update to Make 3.82 and the issue will disappear.

Source: lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2012-02/msg00025.html

P.S. I've started building from source so if anyone is interested let me know. The builds are only guaranteed to boot but I have not had any issues.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by shinji257.

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #13

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 307
shinji257 wrote:

This is an issue with it building libc for gcc. The issue stems from the host OS using Make 3.81. In order to resolve the issue you actually need to update to Make 3.82 and the issue will disappear.

Source: lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2012-02/msg00025.html

P.S. I've started building from source so if anyone is interested let me know. The builds are only guaranteed to boot but I have not had any issues.

oh finally found a report about this issue :-)

we build our own make, some days ago i have updated our buildsystem to build and use make-3.82. so please do a recent checkout and try again. i hope this issue goes away :-) please report back.

Stephan

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #14

• shinji257
  • Fresh Boarder
Will do. It will take quite some time to do a clean rebuild from scratch. Even on my provider VPS it took about 4 hours last time (give or take). Re-running it now though to see. I renamed my user-installed make to something else so it uses the system installed one initially now. My first successful build so I'll let you know how it goes.

Re: Compilation blues 1 year 10 months ago #15

• markyd
  • Fresh Boarder
OK head spinning a bit ... so a management summary:

1) Was the renaming of the cache directory (top of thread) a red hearing then?
2) Do *Buntu 12.04 users need to manually upgrade their make?
3) Or is everything OK to just start again from a clean build?

... promise to use a real PC and not a VM with loads of free disk space :-)

MarkyD
  • Page:
Moderators: lrusak

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo