NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Video (.mkv) doesn't always play

Video (.mkv) doesn't always play 4 years 3 months ago #1

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

Sometimes a video won't start playing. This happens most of the times when I have watched a video partly and press stop. If I then play the video again (resume from last position) it says its working but keeps saying it's working. After a couple of seconds the audio of the track starts but no video. As far as I know the only solution to get anything going again on my rasp is to disconnect the power source and boot again. I'm using OpenElec 3.0.1 but had the same issue in 2.99.2 and 3.0.0.

I never seem to have this problem when starting video's for the first time. So the problem is not really terrible but is annoying.

I'm using my rasp with an external usb disk (powered). Xbmc log file is here: pastebin.com/QwH7HQHU but does not seem really helpfull because the rasp "chokes" on the last video I played (at 20:23) and shows no other errors than it does while playing the other files.

One thing that seems significant is that I'm using a sony tv and control the rasp by the sony remote with cec. I seem to remember that in earlier versions of OpenElec (2.99.2) the same problem occurred but in those cases my tv switched automatically to another hdmi channel which played the video but then all control by the remote was lost and I also had to cut off power and boot again to regain control.

The problem seems to be somewhat similar to the problem of Fingolin (www.openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/64082-issues-with-some-hd-videos) but differs in some aspect so I made a new thread.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by jasperdejong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #2

• nrosier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Any reason why you haven't upgraded to 3.0.3 yet? That version is running pretty flawlessly for me.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #3

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll also try updating within the next couple of days. But ever since 2.99.2 no update fixed this problem. I've tried 3.0.2 but that version did not work to good on my setup so I switched back to 3.0.1.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #4

• nrosier
  • Junior Boarder
Have you tried a "clean" install? You seem to have a lot of settings in e.g. advancedsettings.xml

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #5

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a clean install. I only installed a new skin. That's it. Made no changes to advancedsettings.xml

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #6

• nrosier
  • Junior Boarder
Can't remember on my install (also started around 2.99RC1) having these settings in advancedsettings.xml. There wasn't even one IIRC . I had to create it myself. Hence the question. Can you rename advancedsettings.xml and try without all these settings?

This is my customer advancedsettings.xml:
<advancedsettings>
        <alwaysforcebuffer>true</alwaysforcebuffer>
        <freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>

<showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>

<fanartres>540</fanartres>
        <imageres>512</imageres>
        <thumbsize>256</thumbsize>

<useddsfanart>false</useddsfanart>

<lookandfeel>
                <enablerssfeeds>false</enablerssfeeds>
        </lookandfeel>

<gui>
                <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
                <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
        </gui>

<bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>
</advancedsettings>

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #7

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
There is no advanced settings on my raspberry. I know I did not create one and there is no file ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml. I don't know why the logfile says it loads one. Maybe there is an overall standard advancedsettings somewhere on the system that comes with openelec.

Meanwhile I recreated the problem with debug information on. This time the problem was the same one I had with the 2.99.2 version: the tv switched automatically to a different hdmi channel and I was unable to regain cec control of my raspberry. Here's the log file: pastebin.com/XYGCKKk9

Any help is appreciated. I can provide more info if needed.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #8

• jamesdm
  • Senior Boarder
This append to me using certain skinks like ACE, i can play a couple videos but then only load the audio and only reseting the pi works again so i use the skin Droid (that is the best for pi) and never more had that problem.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #9

• nrosier
  • Junior Boarder
I'm on the default (Confluence iirc) but Droid skin looks cool so am going to give it a try.

Using a USB-stick for storage in stead of SD-card and streaming movies over NFS. RPI is overclocked to High. I only see some buffering on big movies (> 10GB). I'm currently transcoding them all with different settings (Handbrake RF21, slowest) to get smaller files. Quality is still ok but haven't noticed any buffering on the new files anymore.
TV supports DTS and AC3 so RPI is configured to do passthrough. Don't know if that is the case for the OP.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #10

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your feedback.

I did a clean install of 3.0.3. Used standard confluence skin and was able to reproduce the same problem very easy. Play video -> stop at around 50% -> play same video and resume at last point -> rasp shows moving working icon -> after a few seconds icon stops moving and video starts audio only. See here for xbmc log: pastebin.com/wyivKWQf

I can also reproduce this bug with other video's. I have only seen this with .mkv video's (but that's most of my video's).

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #11

• Fingolin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi.. as you noiticed I had some similar issue with my pie.. try playing around with your overclock settings.. Also if you don't even got any.. especially the h264 freq..

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #12

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your suggestion. I read your post and will edit my config.txt and give it a spin.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #13

• nrosier
  • Junior Boarder
I've downloaded the file mentioned in the log you appear to have problems with but haven't had the time to try it. My PI is overclocked to High (previously Medium) and so far never have noticed a problem like you described. Hope to test the later today and give an update.

Video doesn't play sometimes 4 years 3 months ago #14

• jasperdejong
  • Fresh Boarder
I incorporated the settings from Fingolin's post into my config.txt (in a fresh 3.0.3 install):
gpu_mem_512=256
arm_freq=950
core_freq=450
h264_freq=350
sdram_freq=425
gpu_freq=325
over_voltage=4
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Seems to have solved the problem! Thanks Fingolin!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fingolin