TOPIC: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #201

• ridd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Could anyone provide some guidance on configuring these emulators to work with RCB (Rom Collection Browser)? Specifically I'm unable to point RCB to the emulator locations. Sorry if this is a beginnerish question, I don't have much experience with nix.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #202

• TheOddLinguist
  • Fresh Boarder
What I did (maybe not the simplest solution, but it works) is point RCB to some random file when it asks me for that path. Then, I SSH in and manually edit /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.games.rom.collection.browser
/config.xml to point to the right file. e.g.:
<emulatorCmd>/storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.mednafen/bin/launch.sh</emulatorCmd>

If there's a simpler way (I'm sure there is), someone will chime in. But that works for me. hehe
The following user(s) said Thank You: ridd

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #203

• Danny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I use the same method.. Since when browsing in rom collection manager it wont show hidden folders..
I work for Karma points, give me one :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ridd

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #204

• ridd
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for this, I actually found in the system settings you can enable hidden folders, and was able to path to the proper location from there (/storage/.xbmc/addons/ for anyone else needing to know).

Also discovered two things with mednafen at least, it won't play .7z files according to the logs. Also if you host your roms at a different location other than the local system (I have an unraid NAS), it won't play from there even after mapping the share through the file manager in XBMC. At least with SMB protocol, that's all I tried...maybe it works with NFS.

Just a heads-up for anyone else trying this, I finally got it working by copying my roms to the local openelec system, now I just have to get the sound working :) Base on the logs it needs some libs I think. Will look into it. Thanks for the help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thetester

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #205

• thetester
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

I'm very excited by these developments.
I have been checking a few of the emulators out and so far have mixed results.
I have managed to open two games using epsxe - so so far I can say this is the most stable for me. Any ideas how to tackle this below? seems they all complain about the same thing??
root /var/tmp # cat dolphin.log 
./dolphin-emu: error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root /var/tmp # cat pcsx2.log 
./pcsx2: error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./pcsx2: error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root /var/tmp # cat pcsxr.log 
./pcsxr: error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./pcsxr: error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root /var/tmp # cat psx.log 
./psx: error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Also no luck getting PS3 controller connected.
I connected it in Windows using d3tool (on a different PC) and wrote down the PS3MAC. Still no luck getting it working even when manually typing it in. I have successfully connected a logitech mediaboard pro but not a official PS3 controller. Do I really need to install windows on the same PC and make a pairing to get this working?
EDIT: I managed to get it working! using the tools available under bluez-tools (thanks Ancalex!).
Btw, the MAC address in the d3tool pairing page run in windows is backwards! I used bt-monitor to see what was going on in another ssh window while I was trying different combinations of:
./bt-device -r [PS3MAC]
./bt-device --set [PS3MAC] Trusted 1
./bt-input -c [PS3MAC]

EDIT2: I added another PS3 controller using bluetooth and confirm both controllers are working for multiplayer games. Was actually great fun! - tested with mupen64plus. Just need to find a way of exiting the game using the PS3 pad, perhaps I can create a key combo in the keymap to quit the game?

Acer revo 3700 PVR
XBMC 11.0 Git:a76f5d4 (Compiled Jul 6 2012)
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by thetester.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #206

• ridd
  • Fresh Boarder
As a followup I'm still unable to get any sound, here's the error I'm getting:
./mednafen: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required$
./mednafen: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required$

Any advice on how to proceed would be helpful, no forum search/google-fu provided any joy.

Edit - after some configuration changes in my audio devices, I'm still getting the above error, but now getting this (which I think is the source of the issue):
Initializing sound...
  Using "SDL" audio driver with SexyAL's default device selection.No available $
Error opening a sound device.

Edit 2 - I've tried manually modifying the launch.sh and/or mednafen cfg file to force ALSA as well as trying to set the sound device to "sexyal-literal-default" (per info found on the mednafen documentation/forums)...still no sound. Here's the error I have currently:
Initializing sound...
  Using "ALSA" audio driver with device "plughw:0,7":ALSA Error: snd_pcm_open(&alsa_pcm, id ? id : "hw:0", SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK, 0) Device or resource busy
Error opening a sound device.

Error is indicating that the device is in use, maybe there is a way to force a restart of ALSA prior to launching mednafen? Or is there another way around?

Edit 3 - finally fixed it by digging through some posts in this thread, found my solution by configuring a downmixer as discussed in this thread: openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/38614-opene...it=20&start=20#39009
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by ridd.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #207

• Danny
  • Senior Boarder
Thetester thanks, finaly some good info, seems your gfx configuration needs a module mine doesn't, ive seen this before, so libxcomposite will be included in the next version of pcsxr pcsx2 and psx.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #208

• Sync
  • Fresh Boarder
I don´t know if its just me, but the download links don´t work!!?? Sorry if you know this or not :)
Can wait to test this out with my Zotac ID-80 :p

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #209

• Danny
  • Senior Boarder
They should work now, my isp had a crappy day yesterday :p

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 1 month ago #210

• Sync
  • Fresh Boarder
cheers, gonna give this a try :)

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 4 weeks ago #211

This may not be the most proper place for this question but I'm having some trouble with sound in mednafen while playing snes games. It's very garbled, I assume due to CPU speed. My question is, I'm running an Atom 330 and that should be plenty to emulate snes at full speed, is there something I'm doing wrong with this or should I just stick to using no sound?

For the record, gameboy advance emulation works 100%, sound and all.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 4 weeks ago #212

ridd wrote:
Just a heads-up for anyone else trying this, I finally got it working by copying my roms to the local openelec system, now I just have to get the sound working :) Base on the logs it needs some libs I think. Will look into it. Thanks for the help!

In order to play games from a network file system you need to mount the remote filesystem somewhere on your local filesystem. You can do this in the autostart.sh. There are guides to do this around the forums but if you can't figure it out, I can send you my file later tonight.
thetester wrote:
EDIT2: I added another PS3 controller using bluetooth and confirm both controllers are working for multiplayer games. Was actually great fun! - tested with mupen64plus. Just need to find a way of exiting the game using the PS3 pad, perhaps I can create a key combo in the keymap to quit the game?

You can use the PS button to exit if you'd like. I can get you the code for it (at least what works for me) later today but what I did was set UP to the PS button and then copy the key code for UP from mednafen.cfg and assign it to exit. There are a few special characters for those buttons that you can use, I think ~ is or and + is and so you can set PS + Start to exit and you can keep ESC on there too.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #213

• Danny
  • Senior Boarder
I would like the config line for ps button as quit, I understand your method, just wana save some time, I've used a LOT of time on this :p

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #214

command.exit keyboard 293~keyboard 27~joystick c2c2797b524c2dc5 00000010

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #215

• Eoghlear
  • Junior Boarder
I am having serious issues getting mednafan to work with Advanced Laucher.
It works on itself, but can't get in to work with advanced launcher (would like this for cover/fan art)

I remember i got zsnes working in XBMC on ubuntu but can't quite remember what i did.

When using advanced laucher i select the launcher app in storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.mednafan/bin/mednafan

and fill in the rest of the info.

When i select it afterwards via add-ons/ programs i wont't work.

Am i missing something or is tis obsolete?

Paul

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #216

There is a launch.sh in that folder.

What you want to do is launch that file as your executable with just the file as the parameter. If you want to change the command line options you can edit that script but it should be set up pretty well for you already.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #217

• Eoghlear
  • Junior Boarder
seanseymour wrote:
There is a launch.sh in that folder.

What you want to do is launch that file as your executable with just the file as the parameter. If you want to change the command line options you can edit that script but it should be set up pretty well for you already.

So in advanced launcher i select:
-file launcher (emulator),
-then select mednafan/bin/launch.sh,
-followed by selecting the file folder (i.e. Snes/Roms),
-extension: .smc,
-app arguments: "%rom%" (default),
-Name launcher,
-Select platform,
-Select thumb/fanart folder an done?

So far this doens't quite work. Will continue tommorow but thanks for your reply at this hour (from where i live).

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #218

Yes, that's what I've done and it's worked for me.

There is a log file in /tmp/mednafen.log (I think that's the name) that will have info in it if it's actually trying to launch it. Maybe you can turn on debug logging and check your log while you attempt to launch? (tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log)

And don't worry about the time, I'm in PST 3:30 PM here.

EDIT: I was just thinking that you should make sure you've got chmod +x on launch.sh and mednafen
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by seanseymour.

Re: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #219

• Eoghlear
  • Junior Boarder
Still not working via advanced launcher. Mednafen itself runs when selected via the add-ons section.
Will try some more as well as your chmod option.

Aw: OpenELEC Game Console Emulators 2 years 3 weeks ago #220

• Mettbrot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
I am having some trouble getting a dualshock3 configured with your script... there is no file names under /storage/.cache/bluetooth/$MYMAC so it doesn't find the mac of my controller... Or do I have to plug it in with a usb cable? It doesn't say so in the first post...

The first time I ran the script it patched my system and kernel but after update and reboot I was getting the message about the missing parameter so I took a research and found out that it can not obtain the mac address of my controller because the file is missing...
Am I doing something wrong?
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Mettbrot.
Moderators: lrusak

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo