NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Addon Repo Management and licenses

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #1

• viljoviitanen
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Source, please. (and let me remind you're legally required by the gpl to give the source to anyone you give the binary...)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #2

• ultraman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 889
Wow, what a rude post to a guy who spend his time to contribute something.
ultraman == vpeter
LAMP addon - Linux, Apache, MySQL PHP bundle
Sundtek and HDHomeRun DVB driver addons

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #3

• viljoviitanen
  • Senior Boarder
ultraman wrote:
Wow, what a rude post to a guy who spend his time to contribute something.

I take the license issues very seriously.

Either you care about the gpl or you don't. If you don't I'll stay away from anyone who doesn't.

(for the record, I too have done some addons to openelec. Which have full source and build instructions available.)

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #4

• ultraman
  • Platinum Boarder
You could just wait a day or 2 to clear the things up.
ultraman == vpeter

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #5

• viljoviitanen
  • Senior Boarder
ultraman wrote:
You could just wait a day or 2 to clear the things up.

So could you, instead of calling me rude (and I must say it's highly demotivating as an openelec wannabe contributor to be called rude by an openelec developer). And why is it rude anyway to remind of the things gpl requires, that is (imo) the very essence of gpl? I think it's even more rude to post binaries of gpl software without sources.

Maxim said "Feel free to improve it as you feel fit."

How are you gonna improve it without sources? I'm not interested in figuring out stuff from just the addon zip. Doing it with the sources is plenty challenge for me - as has been figuring out the whole openelec addons stuff without documentation.

I think x11vnc support (enabling easy remote administration, as opposed to just ssh) in openelec is very good stuff, and if an addon repository is to be built, I'd like to see this there.

</soapbox>

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #6

• ultraman
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, you started this debate ;) And yes, I could not write anything. And I already delete the post but then I write it again.

You wrote that x11vnc support is very good stuff. I think sraue don't agree with this because if I remember there was a discussion about this long time back. I was playing with this months back (like 6)! And already made all the stuff running (x11vnc AND JDownloader) but didn't have a will to make a package because there is no real road map what will be included and what not.

Moderators, please change my status and remove me as a developer.
ultraman == vpeter
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by ultraman.

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #7

• Maxim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
The only thing that's not already source, are the x11vnc binaries themselves. Everything else is config files and a bash script. You can download and compile whatever binaries you want at your leisure, the same way that I did. x11vnc's site is here: www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/

One of the binaries is pre-compiled from x11vnc's site (x11vnc.sourceforge.net/dev/x11vnc-0.9.14_TEST_i386-none-linux_noxfixes), so if you want to go email them about that one contact info is here: www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/#contact

The "improve upon" suggestion was to the XBMC service itself, which is all in plain text config files, or interpreted language scripts. Lacking in any XBMC service experience I thought that there might be a way to improve upon the service and make it more flexible, or robust.

To clarify, this is hardly an "addon for OpenELEC." This service should work for any XBMC installation where the binaries will execute. I just happened to be using OpenELEC at the time that I had a need to have this feature. Normally x11vnc is integrated into the start up of the X server with GDM, or XDM, or whatever login manager is used, however, with OpenELEC the options are rather limited. So I put it into a service and it worked out.

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #8

• Maxim
  • Fresh Boarder
Just to save myself the trouble and your time, I've downloaded the sources, and posted them on github.

github.com/downloads/Maxim9/XBMC-Service-x11vnc/x11vnc-0.9.13.tar.gz
github.com/downloads/Maxim9/XBMC-Service-x11vnc/x11vnc-0.9.14-dev.tar.gz
The following user(s) said Thank You: applefag

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #9

• xe
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
Its nice to see the source request and fulfillment discussion even if it got a little but heated there for a moment.

Just for reference whilst not being a GPL expert you cant simply say the sources are here, maintained by someone else and consider the matter closed.

Making them available in this way is fine but if those go offline or change (as often urls change) it is the binary issuers responsibility NOT the upstream donor, to keep copies ready to distribute.

It is not a huge headache but it is something to keep in mind and one reason git/clone etc are o popular.

This is another reason why we prefer pull requests into our git as part of that process ensures GPL and copyright and reduces the headache of some ad hoc development.
#################################################
I collect Karma points feel free to contribute :)
#################################################

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #10

• viljoviitanen
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry for the heating up.

Service script needs some minor cleaning up, at least indentation if nothing else. Otherwise I don't see any problems with it, except the fact that that it's using binaries without any information how they were compiled and what the source might have been. Maybe the x11vnc author can get away with this, but I don't think anyone else should just distribute binaries without any info on how they were made. So if I was you, I'd add info in the zip file, a readme file or something that explains where the binaries are from.

Anyway what I was after is how to compile a working x11vnc binary from sources with the openelec build system. Like the rest of the openelec system is done.

Now for some semi off topic: if an official or unofficial "extra" addons repository for openelec is to built, it's going to require proper fetching of sources and building, not using pre-built binaries which contain who knows what.

And even more off topic: after yesterday's irc discussion I'm seriously thinking about setting up (at first) an unofficial addon repository, with (at first) just 32-bit builds... Of course I hope others will join me maintaining the repo, or maybe be inspired enough to turn the repo I'm going to start into an official repo... I'm going to make it fully transparent so that anyone can set up the repo without any hassles. Like openelec is done, anyone can build an openelec system from source without any hassles.

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #11

• Maxim
  • Fresh Boarder
Am I kosher at this point? Otherwise, I'll remove the binaries and put instructions to use your own. Really it's just a wrapper script for a looped execution of a binary. It can be used for any application that can run in the background.

Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #12

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 650
Hi,

please stop the debate about sources, gpl etc here.

I am very happy there are some guys here who helps me with that, who learns to use our buildsystem without ask me many questions, who does here a very great support etc.

In ultraman's case for example he creates addons sometimes on its own way and own scripts, without using our sources, so its easyer for him to develop. he provides the work here for testing and if he knows it works he works on the integration in openelec. this is possible and there is nothing wrong. also there is nothing to provide in this stage of development, because he uses unmodified sources and programs. he provides the work here, because he work on stuff he never can test byself because he dont have the hardware or he work on things he never use byself - for free - and thats only to help us and because he have fun with this. And he provides us the sources and scripts if he is done, he knows it works and is ready for including. He (and i speak about many others too) has done a lot of stuff already.

I really much appreciate this help from him and many others!!!

Also if anyone provides binary only Addons, there is no problem with providing this without the sources, thats the idea of addons to support additional (and closed source) stuff too without touching our buildsystem (and breaking the license). (the same like if you install a nvidia closed source driver on your OSS based OS).

About the official Addons and repos:
i have mostly not the time to maintain/update/test the addons byself (anymore), or i cant do this alone anymore. because of this, and it was everytime the idea behind the addons, i want to give this job away to one or two main addon maintainers.
- This addons which are mostly user contributed should go in our or a own git repo on our github account and the repo byself should be located on our domain.
- The addons must be well tested before they goes online
- The maintainer should be able to manage all the this stuff, the users who contributes etc.., he dont must create/build the addons byself, but he must know who can does this.
- The Maintainer should have a good contact to our main developers via the forum and IRC
- He should be able to add subforums on our forum and should invite moderators for support of this forums byself and/or moderate this subforums.
- he should help with looking over the sources/scripts and should be able to help the addon devs with coding in a clean way and in our coding style
- The Addons should never break openelec (the coresystem) byself, other then that every additional addon will be welcome if it helps our users (even if some addons makes no sense to me *personally*)

So, i hope some of our yctive users and devs dont give up because of this source/gpl stuff you are very welcome here. i will split this thread in 2 seperate threads and i would like to change the topic of this discussion about the addon/repo stuff byself, so you can discuss here how we can manage this in the future.

many greetings

Stephan

Re: Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #13

• viljoviitanen
  • Senior Boarder
Well, like I said, I'll take a shot of creating an (unofficial) addon repo build+distribution system. If nothing else it can serve as a technical base for the future official repo hosted with OpenELEC domain.

Re: Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #14

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 650
i have nothing against unofficial repos too, which are selfmanaged. sure its better from userside to have one whole repo instead thousands smalls... i only have the one wish: plese try to provide addons for all builds of every addon (if it makes sense for the addon byself for sure)

Re: Addon Repo Management and licenses 5 years 8 months ago #15

• viljoviitanen
  • Senior Boarder
There's the repo building system:

github.com/viljoviitanen/Openelec-addons/blob/master/make-repo.sh

It works so that it copies over the extra addons over checked out openelec git directory

Then builds the addons for specified targets (project & arch)

And finally generates the addons.xml and addons.xml.md5 files needed for deployment.

My first test repo, built from my github addons repo is now at

viljo.wippiespace.com/openelec-addons-repo/

The repository zip file is there too.

Still only i386. I need to basically re-install my machine to get enough space for 64-bit builds as well. So it'll take a while... but my script should work there too.
  • Page: