NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained?

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 1 month ago #1

• msj33
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi All.

As most of you all can see, OpenELEC seems more and more to be dead end project.

-No releases or news for more than 3 months.
-No Code commits in Github.
-Almost every core member have left for joining the new LibreELEC project(Forked of OpenELEC): Reason: Seems to be some kind of dispute.
-Community forums activity are decreasing with rapid speed.

So are there anyone left to give it the final push off the cliff or at least give some kind of status on a future of OpenELEC?

If the project is finally dead, I would prefer if someone stated it officially as News or as Forum News post - Then the remainders of the community can decide on future options.

Personally, I'm off for LibreELEC due to the majority of developers are there...........just a bit sad to see the end user community split in two.

Thanks to everyone involved in the OpenELEC project - Massive achivements along the way

/Morten
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Herrminator, Nemsis72

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 1 month ago #2

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8
Considering the current version of the "official" Kodi release is still only 16.1 Jarvis, then there's really nothing more OpenELEC can release except beta versions of Kodi 17 Krypton... which they already do. The last beta release was posted Sunday, 01 May 2016 18:51.

openelec.tv/news/22-releases

edit: actually, I'm not sure if OpenELEC has betas of the Kodi17.. I'm just guessing that's what the OE betas are. Either way, they can't really update OE until a new "official" Kodi 17 is released.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by greenbag.

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 1 month ago #3

• msj33
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
As I remember it, OpenELEC have had beta's before.

I believe this is the longest period without any news(not even about the breakup!) and the longest period with any kind of release.

Personally I don't buy that argument - But a small part also hopes that I am wrong.

What is the biggest concern currently is the silence from Devs and site admins.......This surely does not point in any positive direction currently.

Time will tell eventually.

/Morten

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 4 weeks ago #4

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
They may very well be going through some changes behind the scenes. "Stuff" happens in the real world. As long as they're still releasing betas, then don't worry about it. LibreElec is still quite new.. many of their releases, is fixing bugs that any new system goes through. That doesn't mean they are any better, or further along the game that OpenELEC. That just means OpenELEC has already ironed out the bugs of their os.. the only thing that would spark a new release, would be a new Kodi release. They won't do a release just to make you happy. Why release what's not needed?

IMHO.. you're making it to be more dramatical than needed.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by greenbag.

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 4 weeks ago #5

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
There was 0 commits in either the stable or master branch for almost 4 months. Obviously that was because of the fork, which is understandable considering the only remaining developer is the founder (I think). LE is not a "new" system btw, it was forked from OE meaning it was a direct clone at some point. The differences are still minor.

In any case, development on both the stable and master branch has been resumed during the weekend and there's even cherry picks from LibreELEC. So it looks like OpenELEC is back on track and work done on both projects can still benefit eachother.
OpenELEC is dead, check out LibreELEC.

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #6

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
I'm well aware LE is not "completely" new, and that it's based on big brother OE. But... it's still only 5 months old.. March 2016. All I meant was.. OE has already worked out the bugs in it's operating system.. LE still has a few things popping up here and there. There wouldn't be a new release of the same version of Kodi unless there's bugs that were fixed. If there's no new Kodi.. then there's no need for an update. Unless they're trying new things in Kodi itself.. such as blueray player, etc.

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #7

• ultraman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 889
greenbag wrote:
All I meant was.. OE has already worked out the bugs in it's operating system..
But you have to understand that LE team is not some new people - they come from OE team.
ultraman == vpeter
LAMP addon - Linux, Apache, MySQL PHP bundle
Sundtek and HDHomeRun DVB driver addons

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #8

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
ultraman wrote:
greenbag wrote:
But you have to understand that LE team is not some new people - they come from OE team.

I get that, but it's more than just a name change and new graphics.

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #9

• ultraman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 889
greenbag wrote:
ultraman wrote:
greenbag wrote:
I get that, but it's more than just a name change and new graphics.
Yes, it is better too :P
ultraman == vpeter
LAMP addon - Linux, Apache, MySQL PHP bundle
Sundtek and HDHomeRun DVB driver addons

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #10

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
I must confess... I actually just installed it last last night. :P I just did a dual-boot Raspbain/LibreELEC using berryboot onto a 120GB Sandisk usb ssd. Although I love compiling... I just couldn't get my damn Hauppauge 950Q remote to work as well as it does with both OE and LE. That.. and for some reason, every once in a while.. I'd backpage in Kodi, only to have the taskbar in Raspbian appear. :P I gave up... lol.

I know the last time I was hanging out at Kodi forums, milhouse was trying to get the blueray player working.. I guess that would be a Kodi thing, and not specifically a LE os thing. I know they fine tuned for the raspberry pi's though.. which is another reason I wanted to try them out. I compiled LE8.0 Krypton, but some of my pluguns didn't work.. same with OE's beta of Krypton. That's not the os's.. that's the plugin's coders not having a working version for Krypton yet. I think. :P

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #11

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
greenbag wrote:
I'm well aware LE is not "completely" new, and that it's based on big brother OE.

It was 100% OE at the time of the fork. You can look at LE as OE if OE didn't cease development, considering the entire team left and continued with LE.
But... it's still only 5 months old.. March 2016. All I meant was.. OE has already worked out the bugs in it's operating system..

So because the founder went MIA and the entire team forked you interpret that as the OS being bug free?
LE still has a few things popping up here and there.

Seeing as it's active, bugs will be fixed. And they've already resolved issues that still exist in OE.
There wouldn't be a new release of the same version of Kodi unless there's bugs that were fixed. If there's no new Kodi.. then there's no need for an update. Unless they're trying new things in Kodi itself.. such as blueray player, etc.

Kodi latest stable: 16.1 (17 in beta 1)
OpeneELEC 6.0.3: Kodi 15.2

You do the math ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nemsis72

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #12

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
I could swear I was running 16.1.. I guess that was a self compile. As for the entire team leaving.. that wasn't mentioned.. the original post made it sound like some or most of the coders left, but not all of them. With that, I was under the impression "some" of the staff stayed, and therefore.. OE would continue on. I've been around coders for quite a few years while mod'ing in another type of community. I've seen fights before, and teams split up.. but I've also seen new blood join the teams. I guess that's what I thought I was seeing here.. a spat, teams split and start their own thing. And as it just being a fork of OE.. even when it's the same team who wrote OE, tiny things still get missed.. especially when there's multiple platforms, and they don't use all those platforms themselves. If they did.. there wouldn't be compiling issues with some platforms. That's all I meant by that comment.. tiny things here and there might have gotten missed through the transition. I just remember seeing the LE release page over at Kodi's site... each one fixing a bug. If it wasn't os, then it's their own version of Kodi that they're working the bugs out of then I guess.

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #13

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
What platforms are they not using themselves? You seem to be basing a lot of your statements on guessing, which isn't helpful either way.

Anyways, as mentioned commits are being done on OE again. Although no word yet from the maintainer. At the end of the day we users can't really complain as we're getting a free product. Personally, I can't help but think a lot of users would have stayed loyal as long as there were some communication, but there hasn't been any at all and this place is like a ghost town.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ultraman, Nemsis72

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #14

• MadX
  • Fresh Boarder
escalade wrote:
What platforms are they not using themselves? You seem to be basing a lot of your statements on guessing, which isn't helpful either way.

Anyways, as mentioned commits are being done on OE again. Although no word yet from the maintainer. At the end of the day we users can't really complain as we're getting a free product. Personally, I can't help but think a lot of users would have stayed loyal as long as there were some communication, but there hasn't been any at all and this place is like a ghost town.

I guess it's just about regrouping. The foundation of OE is really good and solid. If there are gaps in commits to github - it's really not a problem.
I think that sraue has done a great job getting the product to where it is today, and seeing as though I don't have any issues with my current install of 7.0Beta3, I don't see any compelling reason to want to switch.
I am seeing a number of commits on github, so I am sure that we can look forward to some news in the not too distant future ...

Is OPENELEC still developed/maintained? 1 year 3 weeks ago #15

• escalade
  • Gold Boarder
He could easily grab every commit they did and vice versa, that's the beauty of open source. The problem lies with the community side, who's going to care about contributing and making addons to a project that doesn't communicate with it's users and lets the forum be overrun by spammers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ultraman, Nemsis72
  • Page: