NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater

[Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 8 months ago #1

• Adam B.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Boblight analyses what's on your screen, and displays the output to your ambient lighting solution.

How to Install
  • You will need to be running an Openelec Eden Nightly Newer than 12/4
  • Install the boblightd package from the openelec repository from under All Addons -> Services
  • Reboot Openelec
  • Connect to your Openelec server via SMB and navigate to userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.boblightd/
  • Rename boblight.conf.sample to boblight.conf and edit to suit your configuration.
  • If you want ambient lighting on all the time
  • Connect to your Openelec server via SMB and navigate to userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.boblightd/
  • Rename boblight.X11.sample to boblight.X11 and reboot.
  • If you only want lighting when playing video
    • Install the boblight script addon from the official XBMC repository
    • Configure addon, defaults should work fine.

How to Build your ambilight
    There are many options when it comes to building an ambient lighting solution. I've researched a few different options, and the easiest I've found is adalight.

This tutorial is pretty thorough: www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/
    You should only need to buy this kit this arduio, and a few miscellaneous wires and connectors.

After following the tutorial, it should work out of the box with the boblight.conf sample file included with the addon. Be sure that you flashed the arduion with the ledstream.pde file.
    Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Adam B..
    The administrator has disabled public write access.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: sraue, swifty, schumi2004, viljoviitanen, zirkus

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 8 months ago #2

• Solid Cactus
    Hi,

Many thanks for the tutorial!

This is just what I was looking for since swapping to openelec!

Karma added!

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 8 months ago #3

• tommymsw
    • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3
    This is soooo cool! Almost makes me upset that I have 110 in. projector!

Thank you for the tutorial... I was very curious about this.

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 8 months ago #4

• newphreak
    • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 112
    This is added on the main website now. (Updated even).
    openelec.tv/find-help/documentation/usage/xbmc-addon/item/225-boblight
    Samsung UE55ES7000S 55" led tv - Denon AVR-3313 - NAD C275BEE - B&W DM683 - B&W HTM61 - B&W 686
    Intel NUC
    And a Logitech Harmony Touch to control it all.

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 8 months ago #5

• zirkus
    • Fresh Boarder
    Ordered this stuff today, but have to wait until the americans shipped it over the great lake.

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 8 months ago #6

• devkid
    • Expert Boarder
    • Thank you received: 21
    Really cool stuff! I am thinking about trying it!
    One question: How much CPU load do those image analyze algorithms do? Will it cause any problems on a small Atom system (namely Shuttle XS35GTV2)?

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 7 months ago #7

• Adam B.
    • Junior Boarder
    devkid wrote:
    Really cool stuff! I am thinking about trying it!
    One question: How much CPU load do those image analyze algorithms do? Will it cause any problems on a small Atom system (namely Shuttle XS35GTV2)?

When playing a 720p video, boblightd uses about 5% cpu on my 3 year old core2duo machine.

If all your decoding is happening on the GPU, I'd imagine that there would be enough left for boblight, but that's only a guess.

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 7 months ago #8

• devkid
    • Expert Boarder
    • Thank you received: 21
    Thanks for reply. Even if a Core2Duo is multiples times faster than an Atom I also think it should be fast enough for it. Maybe I will install the software and see what happens before ordering the hardware.
    I am currently not really sure if I will start this project since I did not had a chance to see it in action in real life. Im afraid I might find it a bit annyoing/distracting to have a lightshow behind my TV all the time in everyday usage. Lets see ;)

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 7 months ago #9

• Mettbrot
    • Expert Boarder
    • Thank you received: 14
    Hi there,

just a quick question. Is the controller able to handle more than 25 LEDs? Just in case I have a bigger screen. Or is it limited in the amount of connected LEDs?

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 7 months ago #10

• Adam B.
    • Junior Boarder
    Mettbrot wrote:
    Hi there,

just a quick question. Is the controller able to handle more than 25 LEDs? Just in case I have a bigger screen. Or is it limited in the amount of connected LEDs?

I have a 61" screen with a total of 50 LED's on the sides and top (nothing on the bottom since it's on a stand), and it works great. I think the Arduino + Boblight setup can handle up to 75, maybe more. It's just a bit more/different configuration.

Aw: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 7 months ago #11

• Mettbrot
    • Expert Boarder
    Hey, another question! Can I take the 5V power directly from the motherboard? I think red and black pin from any plug delivers 5V. And, if I can: Is the amperage enaugh to power the arduino and the LEDs?
    Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Mettbrot.

Aw: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 7 months ago #12

• Mettbrot
    • Expert Boarder
    I just read that Molex plugs can deliver up to 6A. So if i take the black and red cable from one of these I'm going to be fine. :-)
    Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Mettbrot.

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 6 months ago #13

• The_Dogg
    Just ordered my parts for this, can't wait to get them and try it on!

I already had an Ikea Dioder on the back of my tv, Ambient Lighting will be much better IMO

Re: [Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 5 years 3 weeks ago #14

• ajax_oriion
    Good setup Adam.

I have just setup my Rpi with Openelec and want to set this up as well.

But problem is Digital RGB LED Pixels is not available in India. In that what is the alternative available? If i set it up with LED light strips, would i require a LED controller seperately?

( Bear with me... I am a noob in electronics ) :(

Thanks

[Ambient Lighting] Setup ambient background lighting for your home theater 4 years 10 months ago #15

• KidCastro
    • Junior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1
    Nice setup Adam, hopefully u can help me out if I get stuck setting this up. Must be awesome watching blurays at ur place.

Justin
    • Page: