NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: openelec on nuc 513

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #1

• brooksbank
  • Fresh Boarder
new poster here , based in the Uk

tried a few Pi,s and cheap android boxes then decided to go "Nuc" , bought the 2820 , and used a 2g h/drive.,formatted the drive to ext4 , using windows and a proggy called mini partition tools

installed openelec , then created (via windows) a folder called "data" , copied all my films/audio and tv shows over , and built the libraries from the "data" directory

using a "ebay" special Microsoft xbox remote , and worked good.

update time , the next stage , a nuc 513 with the 2g drive reformatted and a M.2 card for boot

hard job was formatting the M.2 , so I had to load a basic windows on a spare drive , run mini partition tools, and create a ext4 drive , then load openelec from pendrive , the 2t drive was then added and named "data" and I loaded my data stock there.

I went the full hog and used 16 g memory , this thing flies!

the boot time using the M.2 card is incredibly fast (under 10 secs from power on inc bios check)

I spent a long time trying to get the box to start using the remote , however I gave up , because the box prefers a TV to be on before it starts , and I use a delay multi plug adaptor (turm main device on ie: computer and monitor/printer etc turn on approx. 15 secs later)

don,t know if what I have done is old news , or just good thinking by me ., but I seem to have a fast stable unit.

alan (preston lancs UK)
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by brooksbank.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #2

• chewitt
It's only old news in the sense that "My system runs great and I love Kodi/OE" is a fairly common occurrence around here :)

NB: In future you don't need to splash for 16GB RAM. OE runs in considerably less than 512MB so a 1-2GB stick is more than enough.

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #3

• brooksbank
  • Fresh Boarder
correct , however my first build with only 4g of memory (the 2820 only has one slot) proved to be unusable when I had to commandeer it and use it as a windows box .

the latest (beta release) , OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-5.95.3 shows memory installed as 15923mb and free memory as 15004 , so I make that 929mb being used , not " in considerably less than 512MB "

cpu core usage when streaming a film show less than 7% on all 4 cores , running at 2099MHz and a temp of 49 C

It was my usage of ext 4 on both my boot drive , and my storage drive I was happy about , and the ability for it to be seen on my network and to simply "drop" films/music into the storage drive.

PS: it makes a nice NAS drive as well , 3 times faster than a DLink d320l !

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #4

• chewitt
Put a 512MB or 1GB stick in and you will see the OS adjusts various things to run in comfortably less than 512MB. Put a 16GB stick in and the OS will adjust to use much larger caches "because it can" but for no measurable technical gain. Windows is a different beast entirely.. and entirely your own fault :whistle:

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #5

• brooksbank
  • Fresh Boarder
well my only other box to check is an Amazon Fire BOX , this is the one with the ARMv7 cpu

this box comes with a massive 1946MB of memory , however it only shows 1190 as free when streaming , so its using 756 , not so much of a huge drop from the 929MB when 16g of memory is there?

worrying to see 38% usage , which will quickly grow when I give it something to do , considering the mistake I made by under specking the first nuc , I am glad I opted for the extra memory , and it was not " entirely your own fault "

I have not got the will power to go back to a "toy box" , yup the amazon thing IS a toy! , the i3 nuc has enough power to do its job without "panting" and creaking

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #6

• gda
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 145
Are you sure you counted the free memory the right way? Look at this: www.linuxatemyram.com.
Sorry I can't provide a link, it is considered as spam :(

Gerald

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #7

• brooksbank
  • Fresh Boarder
why should I want to start typing and looking for
"$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1504 1491 13 0 91 764
-/+ buffers/cache: 635 869
Swap: 2047 6 2041
$
on openelec , which after all IS a pure graphical interface ,

I,m not worried about spending the extra on the memory , please remember that this is 1.35v sodimm , not very common , the smallest available locally is 4g at £35 , whilst a 16g kit (2 x 8g) costs £76 ,

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #8

• andrewddd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Disable(delete) swap

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #9

• gda
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 145
brooksbank wrote:
Do whatever you like, but 16GB in a NUC for OpenELEC is overkill. I own some NUCs too, one of them is named 5I3, are you sure you own a 513?
Another one is a D34010, both use 4GB RAM and I have no problems with Kodi in the Background and Steam, or some Game-Emulators in the foreground.
Maybe 4GB modules are more expensive per GB, but £35 are for me still less money than £76.

Gerald

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #10

• brooksbank
  • Fresh Boarder
Disable(delete) swap what? where in openelec?

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #11

• andrewddd
  • Senior Boarder
-/+ buffers/cache: 635 869
Swap: 2047 6 2041

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #12

• brooksbank
  • Fresh Boarder
gda wrote:
brooksbank wrote:
Do whatever you like, but 16GB in a NUC for OpenELEC is overkill. I own some NUCs too, one of them is named 5I3, are you sure you own a 513?
Another one is a D34010, both use 4GB RAM and I have no problems with Kodi in the Background and Steam, or some Game-Emulators in the foreground.
Maybe 4GB modules are more expensive per GB, but £35 are for me still less money than £76.

Gerald

NUC5i3RYH I chose it because of the ability to install both a M.2 card And a data drive , this gives the ability off SSD startup and running , and the large storage capacity of a large (2t) hard drive , larger capacities of the thickness req to fit don,t seem to appear in sata 3 format

andrewddd
being a windows user I chose openelec over a Linux install and a version of xbmc/kodi

as I am running on a graphical interface , please could you elaborate of your posting , please rmember I have only mildly dealt with Linux , mainly on a "run from CD" type settup
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by brooksbank.

openelec on nuc 513 2 years 2 months ago #13

• andrewddd
  • Senior Boarder
You can disable swap without delete swap partition
add to autostart.sh

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
or
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness