Please help me connect the dots & achieve home media server zen?
I would like to update my movie, tv & music category content automatically without any user intervention.
I own the following devices:
• Intel NUC (NUC5PPYH)
• Running OpenELEC 6 on a 16GB SD card with write speeds up to 90mb/s
• (No SSD or HHD required)
• Logitech Harmony Remote, makes using this HTPC method wife-friendly
• Wired LAN Connection
• Synology DS415 play
• 4 x 3TB WD Red
• Wired LAN Connection
• Content delivered to NUC via NFS Shares
Tried & discarded software/packages:
• Plex Media Server - whilst the Plex interface is nice and offers the ability to access the media externally, the hardware transcoding of the DS415play is not compatible with Plex. To make this work would require re-encoding library which would be too time consuming so unfortunately is not an option.
• nzbToMedia – tried this script, combined with Transmission, CouchPotato & SickRage but could not resolve a permissions issue that would prevent Transmission from running a script following the DL completion. Is uTorrent a better downloader option on the NAS? Need one that supports categories, so Download Station is out.
• sabnzbd+ I tried this when I first bought the NAS but didn’t really like usenet groups. Open to trying this again or perhaps NZBGET as an alternative, if it would resolve nzbToMedia problems.
• Likewise, open to trying alternatives to CouchPotato & SickRage, such as Sonarr, if that would provide better results?
• Does Sonarr support TorrentDay? This site is blocked by my ISP so open to any proxy or VPN suggestions?
• VPN – would consider one of these accounts if it didn’t slow internet speeds. There are OpenVPN or Private Internet Access account providers. Any thoughts on these?
• Also what would be the best way for the Synology NAS & NUC to talk to each other? There are OpenELEC add-ons that can use SAB, CP & SB so considered managing them on the NUC and using the synology just for storage but not sure around permission access to achieve this?
Other devices available, but would prefer not to use:
• I7 Dell Laptop - I am much more comfortable with windows rather than linux and know there are windows installers, but would not want my laptop on 24/7
• PS3 – can play NAS media content via DNLA but user interface is not the best
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Please help me? Automated Media Management
1 year 8 months ago #2