NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line.

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 3 months ago #16

• famaller
Thanks for the details, I have tried this and the manual method at the
beginning of this string. I do not get any error messages, But my iMac will not boot from the USB stick.

Can you guess what I am doing wrong?

I end up with four files on the USB, KERNEL, ldlinux.sys, syslinux.cfg, and SYSTEM

Regards

Niels-Martin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 3 months ago #17

• lrusak
You cannot boot a Mac computer into OpenELEC.

This is a limitation of Apple hardware and not OpenELEC.

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 3 months ago #18

• famaller
Thanks

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 3 months ago #19

• lrusak
famaller wrote:
Thanks

I think you are missing the point of OpenELEC....

why don't you just install XBMC on your Mac?

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 3 months ago #20

• chewitt
lrusak wrote:
You cannot boot a Mac computer into OpenELEC. This is a limitation of Apple hardware and not OpenELEC.
It *is* possible to boot a Mac into Linux and there are a small number of people with OE running on Mac hardware; mostly older Mac mini's using the Generic image. An older thread with a poorly documented explanation of how it was installed is here: openelec.tv/forum/111-appletv/6661-openelec-on-mac-mini#31047

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 3 months ago #21

• tcn33
  • Fresh Boarder
lbstephane wrote:
Hi,

Doesn't work for me on my both mac.

Got this error :

: command not foundtallstick_osx.sh: line 2:
'penelec_create_installstick_osx.sh: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `{
'penelec_create_installstick_osx.sh: line 3: `read_input(){

Thanks for your help !

I had the same issue, but relatif's script worked for me. This was on OS X 10.8. Thanks!

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 2 months ago #22

• timvd
Hi,
I followed the script, and tried different versions of OpenELEC but I cannot get it to work. The script ends without any errors, but when I put the usb key in my intel atom pc, it won't boot. Just gives me the error: non system disk.

When i put an ubuntu iso on the key with unetbootin for mac, it boots without any problem, so it's not the disk.
Help?

Re: HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 5 years 2 weeks ago #23

• ncardoso
  • Junior Boarder
Same problem.

I have a Zotac with OpenElec on a HDD. I had to recove the HDD using an ubuntu on a SD card 16GB.
I made a dd of the Ubuntu iso and it worked fine, SD card booted.

I made then a dd of OpenElec using the create_installstick_osx, worked fine, but it doesn't boot with the SD.
Looks like it is not a bootable drive.

HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 4 years 6 months ago #24

• don.kjer
  • Fresh Boarder
I have written an updated version of this script that works with OpenElec 3.0.1:

github.com/dkjer/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/packages/tools/bcm2835-bootloader/files/create_sdcard_osx

It requires installing fuse-ext2 from sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-ext2/ . It more closely matches what the Linux sd card creation script does.

- Don

HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 4 years 2 months ago #25

• olivenoire
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everybody
I'm actually trying to install openelec on my mac
Obvisously it does not boot on usb key wuth a "boot error" message and a black screen
Is someone able to explain me how to install in.

I'm sorry i'm a human being, does not understand what to do with this script nor command line etc

Thank you in advance

HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 3 years 11 months ago #26

• steve1977
  • Fresh Boarder
Same question here. I have followed the guide to create the USB stick (wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC/Creating_The_Install_Key#tab=Mac_OSX). Unfortunately, I cannot boot the mini from this USB stick.

Any thoughts?

HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 3 years 11 months ago #27

• chewitt
Our standard installer will not boot on a Mac so you need to manual install the OS. There are other threads in the forum that detail the install process for mac mini's .. the process should be the same on other Mac hardwares.

HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 3 years 11 months ago #28

• steve1977
  • Fresh Boarder
chewitt wrote:
Our standard installer will not boot on a Mac so you need to manual install the OS. There are other threads in the forum that detail the install process for mac mini's .. the process should be the same on other Mac hardwares.

Thanks for your message. Could you point me to a thread that is up-to-date and has the right detailing. This thread appears to be one of them and but none of them appears to be conclusive and none of them actually working for me.

HOWTO: Installing OpenELEC on USB-key with solely Mac OSX command line. 3 years 11 months ago #29

• chewitt
mac mini is not an officially supported install target and unless someone donates something none of the project staff or dev team have one so there is no official documentation or writeup - only the few threads in the forums that you can find via searches
  • Page: