• Page:

TOPIC: Help with a ZBox ID36 and OpenELEC

Help with a ZBox ID36 and OpenELEC 2 years 2 months ago #1

• doesntcount
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just bought a brand new ZBox ID36 and I'm trying to install OpenELEC. I've downloaded the Ion version and created a USB stick to boot the OpenELEC install. However, I'm unable to get the ID36 to boot from the USB drive.

The stick is fine, I was able to get my laptop to boot the OpenELEC install.

In the ID36, I've ensured that it's booting from the USB drive before the HDD. I've also tried messing around with the USB configuration in the BIOS. I read in some forums that ZBox's have had issues booting from the USB 3.0 ports in the front, so I've ensured I'm using the USB 2.0 port in the back. I've also tried pressing F11 and explicitly choosing the USB to boot from.

If anybody has any ideas for why this isn't work, I'd appreciate the tips. Thanks for the help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Help with a ZBox ID36 and OpenELEC 2 years 2 months ago #2

• doesntcount
  • Fresh Boarder
Turns out in the bios, when it says "USB: Slimtype BD" that doesn't mean USB, it means the Bluray Drive. So there is no option in the BIOS to boot from the USB.

If I can't boot from the USB, and you can only install OpenELEC from USB, am I doomed?

Is there a way to boot the OpenELEC installer from a CD?

Re: Help with a ZBox ID36 and OpenELEC 2 years 2 months ago #3

• doesntcount
  • Fresh Boarder
So I booted the Zbox into Ubuntu using a CD. From there I told the create_installstick to write to the Zbox's /dev/sda. When I rebooted the Zbox, voila, it booted into the OpenELEC installer. But the installer complained that "No devices were found" :(

I need to have the HD's partitions already setup before the installer runs, but I need the installer to boot from the HD.

This totally sucks. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Re: Help with a ZBox ID36 and OpenELEC 2 years 2 months ago #4

• doesntcount
  • Fresh Boarder
I have solved this now. The issue was a very poorly designed bios in the ID36 and some hardware limitations.

First of all, I couldn't plug the USB drive into the USB ports. I had to use the eSata port for the bios to recognize the bootable usb drive.

Second, in the hard disks section of the bios, I had to prioritize the USB drive above the HDD before it would show in the boot ordering list.

Pretty awful. So far I'm not at all impressed with the Zbox.

At least I have OpenELEC installed and running though.
  • Page:

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut