NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #1

• funkmuffin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi -- I've been running and updating OE for a year. I think the official downloadable Generic Build might be corrupted at the source. I've now downloaded it twice and both downloads fail the size check on SYSTEM.

Can one of the devs check the files and make sure it's not corrupt?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #2

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 650
can you check via ssh:
df -h /flash

the Generic build is a bit bigger now, and we added a size check to be sure the build fits on this partition. New installs should create now a 256MB partition instead a ~170MB partition. You can resize /flash with something like gparted or do a fresh install.

Stephan

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #3

• funkmuffin
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the reply. yep - 173.3 M. Puzzled why this change starts just now with the release, and wasn't an issue with any of the betas...

I have a remarkable amount (~12 months) of my own configuration (plugins, UI, etc), including a from-scratch tvheadend configuration for my cable provider... I'd like to do a clean install, but I'm not quite sure how to preserve all of my configuration - I certainly don't want to go through 4 hours of tvheadend config again... Can you offer any help on doing that?

Thanks!
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by funkmuffin.

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #4

• sraue
  • Developer
gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

you can create a live gparted stick which you can boot in gparted. gparted is a graphical tool to resize/create/format/remove partitions. be carefull before you apply the changes - but its selfexplained.

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #5

• funkmuffin
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks! gparted is downloading now.

For future reference, though, is it possible to preserve and restore installed plugins and their configurations while running a clean install? I've been wanting to wipe and clean everything up, but just don't want to go through the TVHeadend setup again (and I'm pretty sure I forgot something important...)

Also -- I just checked through the 3.0 Release News item. It would probably be a good idea to put this partition re-size information there or somewhere handy to head off more posts like mine. :)

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #6

• sraue
  • Developer
to save the addon data: /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/<addondir>
to save most xbmc data, database and configs (incl addon data: /storage/.xbmc/userdata
to save data and addons: /storage/.xbmc
to save OpenELEC settings: /storage/.config

simply copy this dirs above to a drive to backup this stuff and restore back to the same locations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: qwerty875

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #7

• sraue
  • Developer
made this thread sticky, it would be great if you want help with creating a article for our wiki :-) let me know if you need a wiki account.

Stephan

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #8

• athloni
  • Junior Boarder
sraue wrote:
to save most xbmc data, database and configs (incl addon data: /storage/.xbmc/userdata

simply copy this dirs above to a drive to backup this stuff and restore back to the same locations.

TIP for sraue: Make a backup function in OE settings addon.

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #9

• sraue
  • Developer
athloni wrote:
sraue wrote:

TIP for sraue: Make a backup function in OE settings addon.

its done and comes with openelec-3.1 :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: athloni

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #10

• snowchild
  • Fresh Boarder
possible to provide a step by step tutorial? ;)

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #11

• bwhinnen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
In a nutshell, follow the instructions to create a live CD or USB, or if you have a Linux machine, just attach the HDD to that (I did the last step as I don't have any USB sticks at the moment).

Firstly backup your config and XBMC installation:

For me it was ssh into the box, then "tar cvf config.tar .confg" and "tar cvf xbmc.tar .xbmc" and I copied the resultant TAR files to a safe location.

Run gparted and let it find the disk you want.

There should be two partitions, the first which is around 179MB in size and the second which is the remainder of the disk. In my case 56GB (60GB SSD).

Step 1. Resize the second partition, and set it so there is 256 - first partition size BEFORE the second partition, the gparted screen will give you:
SPACE BEFORE:
PARTITION SIZE:
SPACE AFTER:
You need to set the SPACE BEFORE, it will automatically change the partition size as required, note that I had to set this twice as the first time it didn't take correctly. For me the SPACE BEFORE was set to 77MB.

Step 2. Resize the first partition, and set it so that the size is now 256MB in total, no SPACE BEFORE or SPACE AFTER.

Hit apply (the tick at the top in the GUI) and wait.

NOTE: There will be warnings about boot partitions etc, but as we are not moving the first partition, only making it larger there will be no concerns.

Then you can put the new 3.0.0 files into the .update directory as you normally would and let the update happen.

Hope that helps.

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #12

• snowchild
  • Fresh Boarder
moving a almost 500gb partition takes about 5hrs in my case as i have a 500gb drive inside :( probably easier to install 3.0 freshly :(

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #13

• bwhinnen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
snowchild wrote:
moving a almost 500gb partition takes about 5hrs in my case as i have a 500gb drive inside :( probably easier to install 3.0 freshly :(

Yes mine took 30 minutes (SSD connected via USB2). So it is not quick. But as long as you have the .config and .xbmc directories you will be able to throw them straight over a fresh install to make it the same as it was. I've done it a few times :)

Can't Update to 3.0 -- Size Check failed on SYSTEM 4 years 7 months ago #14

• funkmuffin
  • Junior Boarder
bwhinnen wrote:
snowchild wrote:

Yes mine took 30 minutes (SSD connected via USB2). So it is not quick. But as long as you have the .config and .xbmc directories you will be able to throw them straight over a fresh install to make it the same as it was. I've done it a few times :)

Agreed -- I ended up doing a fresh install. In my case, gparted had issues with my existing partitions, and instead of spending HOURS troubleshooting, I just copied .xbmc and .config off to my NAS, did a fresh install and then restored .xbmc and .config. Easy. Also, the machine is much snappier now, which was an unexpected benefit. My old system was about a year old and started with 2.0 dev builds, was updated manually about a hundred times... Now that I know how simple the fresh install process is, I think I'll do it every major release!