NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USB auto mount process in openelec...

USB auto mount process in openelec... 2 years 1 month ago #1

• allenm
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi.. your help with the following is much appreciated...

I would like to understand how openelec auto mounts USB drives especially by the USB volume label. Openelec is awesome but I have moved to Debian jessie only because I'd like to run Plex Media Server on the same machine as Kodi. I am having problems configuring to auto mount a USB flash drive/stick. There are programs (autofs, usbmount, pmount) but when I SSH openelec there seems to be no use of such programs. I'd like to implement the same approach as openelec. It works and works well! I appreciate anyone's help.

Thank you so much,
Allen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USB auto mount process in openelec... 1 year 9 months ago #2

• jrochet
  • Fresh Boarder
I would really like to know this too. I am unable to use my USB Seagate Backup Plus as a destination for rtorrent and I believe it has to do with the fact that there are spaces in the mount folder name which is "Seagate Backup Plus" (/storage/media/Seagate Backup Plus/).

I want so badly to just have it mount into /storage/media/2TBUSBHDD/ instead, which I can do manually, but I will never get this on a clean boot until I can figure out how the automount is happening because no matter what, rebooting forces it to remount into the "Seagate Backup Plus" folder.

USB auto mount process in openelec... 1 year 9 months ago #3

• lrusak
We use the utility called udevil. We auto mount filesystems with udevil using udev rules. These rules are shown here,

github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/packages/sysutils/udevil/udev.d/95-udevil-mount.rules

If you want to stop auto mounting a drive you will need to edit these rules. You can do this by copying them to the writeable udev rules locations
cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/95-udevil-mount.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/

then edit the rules to either exit if a specific uuid or filesystem label is found
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="Seagate Backup Plus", GOTO="exit"

Then reboot.

Otherwise the easiest thing to do would to just rename the volume label to something that you want ;)

USB auto mount process in openelec... 1 year 9 months ago #4

• jrochet
  • Fresh Boarder
lrusak wrote:
We use the utility called udevil. We auto mount filesystems with udevil using udev rules. These rules are shown here,

github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/packages/sysutils/udevil/udev.d/95-udevil-mount.rules

If you want to stop auto mounting a drive you will need to edit these rules. You can do this by copying them to the writeable udev rules locations
cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/95-udevil-mount.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/

then edit the rules to either exit if a specific uuid or filesystem label is found
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="Seagate Backup Plus", GOTO="exit"

Then reboot.

Otherwise the easiest thing to do would to just rename the volume label to something that you want ;)

I'd be so happy to just rename the volume label, but doing that in OpenElec I have no idea how.

USB auto mount process in openelec... 1 year 9 months ago #5

• jrochet
  • Fresh Boarder
Specifically, when I try this is what happens:

OpenELEC:/var/media # e2label /dev/sdb1 2TBUSBHDD
e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
OpenELEC:/var/media #

So instead I've been working around it by creating autostart.sh and chmod 407 to that, then inside I have:

seep 2
udevil umount /dev/sdb1
mount.ntfs /dev/sdb1 /storage/media/2TBUSBHDD

This works 50% of the time because since the mounting at bootup is still happening with the original volume label, my library and SMB both hang onto that name and so I have to do systemctl restart smbd.service, and I just have to live with my video library not being able to forget about "Seagate_Backup_Plus".

If I could redo the volume label, then factory reset and have it start out from day 1 as a no-spaces name, I'd be super happy.

USB auto mount process in openelec... 1 year 9 months ago #6

• jrochet
  • Fresh Boarder
I ended up plugging the USB drive into my Windows 10 laptop and just renamed the drive in there. Then I killed my autostart.sh file, and rebooted OpenElec with the drive reattached - everything is good!

rtorrent is working after reboots 100% of the time that I've tested with reboots so I think I'm all set. Thanks for the help.

USB auto mount process in openelec... 1 year 9 months ago #7

• lrusak
Just an FYI e2label is only good for ext[2,3,4] filesystems.

USB auto mount process in openelec... 3 months 1 week ago #8

• eungenue
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I moved to Openelec 7.0.1 from 8.0.4 because the slideshows are dead slow on 8.0.3 and 8.0.4, but unfortunately, it seems that 7.0.1 can't automount usb disks/flash drives. The /dev/sda (or the like) device is there, but nothing in /media. Manual mounting works, but I'd like it to do this automatically. Did anyone face this problem?