NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

WETEK Play

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec

Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 11 months ago #1

• flo_w
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Been searching the forum and web and all the instructions seemed overly complex. Also, I do not really need a Linux system at the moment, so I thought I'll just wing the installation and see what happens :laugh: I used Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, on a SSD drive, but this should work for related systems as well.

You need:
- Empty hard drive or be prepared to wipe your drive
- USB stick with openelec installation files
- Copy of your favorite bootable live Linux distribution (e.g. Knoppix) with GParted
- Windows 7 installation media
- A copy of EasyBCD (free for private use)

Then follow this sequence:
- Install openelec from the USB stick (This will wipe your drive!!)
- Restart the computer with your live Linux system and start GParted
- You will see 2 ext4 partitions: openelec boot (~250MB) and openelece storage (rest of your drive's capacity)
- Reduce the size of the storage partition to your prefered value (min. 4GB)
- Create a NTFS partition for Windows (and preferably a NTFS partition for your data)
- Shut down the computer and remove the live Linux media
- Restart the computer with the Windows installation media and install windows
- Restart the computer. It wil boot into Windows. Don't worry that there is no sign of openelec at this point.
- Install EasyBCD and start the program. Create a new boot entry. Select the Linux tab and Syslinux as bootloader. Your openelec boot path will be displayed. Adjust all settings (names, default boot, timeout etc.) and save everything.
- Restart your computer. Voilá, the boot menu will be displayed and you can select between Windows 7 and openelec :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alexbergsland, dxwilli, ALG, Ferrovol, fcanete, shuttle, akanealw, morgish, marble, astronman and this user have 2 others thankyou

Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 10 months ago #2

• shuttle
  • Fresh Boarder
Used this method on my Nuc and it worked liked a charm!

Thanks very much ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by shuttle.

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 10 months ago #3

• patseguin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Great instructions. I only wonder why you need to dual boot. Do you use it for gaming?

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 10 months ago #4

• shuttle
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, emulators and other light gaming, although the Nuc is quite a capable little machine and can run battlefield 4 at 720p.

The problem I get currently though, is if I reboot between the two OS's (say from Windows 7 to Openelec) the network settings seem to fail. It seemingly doesn't want to join the network and streaming plugins like iPlayer don't go anywhere. The only way around the problem is to reset the router and the Nuc. My guess is the router isn't doing a good job of managing the ip address changes.

Has anyone else had this problem with dual-boot systems? Or know of a resolution?
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by shuttle.

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 10 months ago #5

• ALG
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks for this flo_w

Shuttle, maybe if you setup a reservation on your router so it allocates the same ip address for the MAC address of your PC?

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 9 months ago #6

• jer-az
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Does this work?

Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 8 months ago #7

• dni
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Folks,

what should i do, if i have W7 preinstalled on my system and i don't want to lose it (we use it for 3D BD.) Ho can i install openelec on the same disk with dual boot?

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 8 months ago #8

• spinecho
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, like dni, I would also like to know how to do this! ;-)

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #9

• Erwinner
  • Fresh Boarder
Same question here.... On my NUC I spent sone time setting up Win7 the way I like it on my SSD and had XBMC running on a USB-stick. Now I have plenty of spare space on the SSD and already left some unallocated space available for the XBMC partitions. Is there an easy way to simply clone the USB installation to the remaining free unallocated SSD space?

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #10

• chewitt
  • Thank you received: 1428
Erwinner wrote:
Same question here.... On my NUC I spent sone time setting up Win7 the way I like it on my SSD and had XBMC running on a USB-stick. Now I have plenty of spare space on the SSD and already left some unallocated space available for the XBMC partitions. Is there an easy way to simply clone the USB installation to the remaining free unallocated SSD space?

use the backup/restore functions in the OE configuration addon?

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #11

• Erwinner
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Chewitt. Now only i first look for a solution to install OpenElec in the SDD without erasing the current Win7 installation...

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #12

• KidCastro
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
chewitt wrote:
Erwinner wrote:

use the backup/restore functions in the OE configuration addon?

chewitt, will this save everything so once restored everything will be exactly the same including addons, custom backgrounds, downloads folder etc etc... I basically want a mirror image of my current installation. Previous topics found in search basically imply that I need to do an SSH and kill xorg services then copy directories, does the backup now do all this for me.

Or should I use XBMC official backup addon - whats the difference?
kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XBMC_Backup
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by KidCastro.

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #13

• Erwinner
  • Fresh Boarder
And funny thing is the backup is made in \storage\.xbmc\ directory which is invisible in the file manager so making a copy to my NAS before the reinstall whipes the backup files is a puzzle to me....

Re:Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #14

• chewitt
  • Thank you received: 1428
The backup is a complete backup of Kodi and other OE configuration areas. It is stored in a directory accessible via the internal Samba server (which is appropriate given that you should be moving it off-box) and from the SSH console if you'd prefer that way (WinSCP is easy). If you enable "show hidden directories" in Kodi configuration it's also accessible from the File Manager GUI. If you decide to reinstall the box before moving the back-up file to an off-box location ..there's no programmatic way to code around stupid :whistle:

Dual boot Windows 7 + openelec 1 year 6 months ago #15

• Erwinner
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks chewitt. The "show hidden directories" sounds exactly what I need to copy the backup tar archive from my USB install to my SSD install. Only now I need the find how to enable that :puzzled:

[Edit] found the option to show hidden directories (strange location: is in confluance appaerance settings), but now I only need to be able to mount the 'other' drive in the righthand destination screen in the file manager. I booted both my OpenElec install on the USB drive and on the SSD drive but am unable to browse to the other drive... :puzzled:
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Erwinner.
Moderators: lrusak