NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #1

• chewitt
"Pink Tint" issues are caused by the AppleTV sending component-colour signals over HDMI to a display device that does not understand them (not to be confused with analog "component" output). Most modern HDTV's support component video over HDMI, but the HDMI "standard" is well known for inconsistencies in vendor implementations and something (we have no clue what) triggers the graphics driver to switch from RGB to component over HDMI. Your combination of devices + drivers + configuration + BIOS + cables doesn't handle it correctly ..and everything goes rose-tinted. This problem is not exclusive to OpenELEC - it's also seen on other Linux distro's (e.g. sams crystalbuntu image) and even the original AppleTV OS. The root cause is probably a bug in the (now very old) embedded video BIOS - which cannot be updated.

NB: The original OSX-based AppleTV software allows you to (re)store resolution and display format (YPrCr, RGB low, RGB high) changes as the default in the BIOS. THIS tool from the nitoTV developers allows you to reload the original ATV OS onto a spare hard drive and perform a factory restore to the original Apple OS. If anyone has time/inclination to test RC7 (where most people have reported this) after running the original OS and resetting the HMDI output format ..we'd love to hear the results! THIS HAS NOW BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN TO FIX PINK TINT ISSUES, it's not perfect or simple but it does work.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by chewitt.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #2

• lukeisareallybigword
Well, the pink is gone after all that. I changed the default picture output to RGB High. However, the screen flickers like a sumbich until you turn off the vertical sync in the system settings.

I received no sound on RC7 over the HDMI.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #3

• chewitt
did you switch to "RGB High" via a setting on the TV, or by running the original AppleTV OS ?

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #4

• lukeisareallybigword
It was from the original AppleTV OS. I ran the factory restore and then changed that setting, then made the rc7 on a usb stick and booted from it.

Love the sandals btw.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #5

• chewitt
I did the same and restoring the original AppleTV OS to a spare 40GB drive, running factory restore then re-selecting "RGB High" under HDMI settings corrects the pink tint issue - for now, i'm sure it will stuff up again at some point! :silly:

Interestingly "nvidia" driver ATV builds have never given me this issue. Presumably the nvidia driver knows how to talk to an nvidia BIOS correctly so the issue is avoided.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #6

• matka
I've installed to atv HD using the r8664 build and got the pink tint. It looks like the tool from nitoTV is an Apple OS application. I do not have any Apple products. Is there another solution ? I'm mostly using Linux.

George

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #7

• matka
I just installed r8718 that is build with unofficial nVidia driver and Pink Tint is gone ! I'm ok with sound via optical. Thanks chewitt !

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 10 months ago #8

• chewitt
The nvidia driver builds never have 'pink tint' issues when XBMC is running but unless you restore the Apple OS and set HDMI to use RGB High or RGB Low you may still see bright flashes of neon pink (and dark green) during boot before the XBMC homescreen comes up. Restoring the Apple OS is the only way to completely resolve things.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #9

• i3laze
  • Junior Boarder
chewitt wrote:
The nvidia driver builds never have 'pink tint' issues when XBMC is running but unless you restore the Apple OS and set HDMI to use RGB High or RGB Low you may still see bright flashes of neon pink (and dark green) during boot before the XBMC homescreen comes up. Restoring the Apple OS is the only way to completely resolve things.

So, after I reset to stock ATV, which\where ATV settings should I set?
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by i3laze.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #10

• chewitt
It's been a while since I ran the AppleOS so i'm not completely sure, but it's under the system menu; there should be an option to change the HDMI output from component to RGB High or RGB Low (depending on your TV one will be better than the other). Any good?

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #11

• i3laze
  • Junior Boarder
I got tint out of XBMC after playing any video. I guess there might be a workaround like that:
Updating the nouveau boot proccess with HDMI-settings round robin, which toggles every HDMI-mode and comes back to default?

My luck yesterday I got new A/V reciever and there's no pink tilt on 1.0.2a either reciever on, either in standby with "HDMI pass through".

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #12

• chewitt
There is no workaround. The nouveau driver has read-only access to the vBIOS so it cannot write back settings changes; hence the *ONLY* way to properly correct this is reset them through something that can, i.e. the original AppleOS. The closed-source nvidia binary driver takes colorspace input from xorg.conf and corrects the output to RGB while it is running, but this is a run-time preference not an instruction to reset/store in the BIOS so it's not permanent. The reason your AV receiver works is that it's capable of switching the component colour input from the ATV into RGB output over the HDMI connection to the TV, or something along those lines.

For sure there is a way to cure this, but with the vBIOS, Apple and nVidia sources unavailable it needs serious hardware reverse-engineering skills. Know any volunteers? (it's not me)

Is that test image otherwise behaving properly?

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #13

• i3laze
  • Junior Boarder
Yeap, 1.0.2a is rock-solid.
takes colorspace input from xorg.conf and corrects the output to RGB while it is running
Maybe, you'll be able reproduce such behaviour for nouveau?

--Update--: Any progress on factory ATV reflashing script?
My ATV goes pink everytime I switch off/on a/v reciever, or switch from HDMI1 to other inputs.. till ATV reboot.
Precisely, I switch back to HDMI, have 0,5sec normal video an then PINK.

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #14

• i3laze
  • Junior Boarder
chewitt wrote:
It's been a while since I ran the AppleOS so i'm not completely sure, but it's under the system menu; there should be an option to change the HDMI output from component to RGB High or RGB Low (depending on your TV one will be better than the other). Any good?
THIS tool from the nitoTV developers allows you to reload the original ATV OS onto a spare hard drive and perform a factory restore to the original Apple OS
Any ideas if ATVDrive.app can be run from MacOS Install DVD? (got Macbook Air wiped out for Win7).

[AppleTV] PINK TINT/SCREEN ISSUES - README 5 years 8 months ago #15

• chewitt
It's not possible as the MacOS X install DVD/image boots straight into the installer and you can only drop out of the installer routine to a pre-defined list of utility apps. The environment is controlled and there's no finder interface where you can select and run another app from.