NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Black/blank screen after display power cycle

Black/blank screen after display power cycle 4 months 3 weeks ago #1

• brifletch
  • Fresh Boarder
I would appreciate any guidance or solutions to the issue I’ve described below – many thanks in advance.

Setup: NUC/KODI (Openelec) -> Audio Extractor -> Onkyo Receiver -> Samsung TV One Connect Box (+audio to wireless headphones)

If TV, or receiver is powered off, and back on again, signal from NUC/KODI is ‘lost’. TV displays only a black screen (does NOT show ‘No signal’ message). TV menus/Smarthub can be displayed correctly over the black screen.
When TV is powered off, input from KODI continues and audio can still be heard from the receiver. When TV is powered back on, the audio stops, and the black screen issue kicks in.
When receiver input is changed to a different device (PS4, Samsung Bluray, Apple TV) there are no issues, and the input can be switched back to KODI without losing the signal.
When other devices are connected through the Audio Extractor (PS4, Samsung Bluray, Apple TV) there are no issues, and display devices can be powered off/on without losing the device signal.
If Audio Extractor is removed from the setup, there are no issues, and display devices can be powered off/on without losing the KODI signal.
As above, the same issue persists when replacing the NUC/KODI device with a Raspberry Pi 2/KODI device (both running Openelec)

In order to resolve the issue, either:
a) The NUC/Pi/KODI box has to be rebooted, or
b) One of the HDMI cables to/from the audio extractor can be removed and replaced, or
c) The audio extractor has to be power cycled off/on

I believe the above suggests that it is a EDID/handshake issue that’s causing the problem?

Note: The exact same setup works flawlessly when connected to an earlier Samsung Plasma HDTV, rather than the 4K/One Connect Samsung I’m now using.

TV: Samsung UA55JS9000/One Connect Box
AV Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR515
Media Player: Intel NUC Core i3 (BOXDC3217BY) running KODI Jarvis 16.1/Openelec (although the same issue persists when using a Raspberry Pi 2 running KODI/Openelec)
HDMI Audio Extractor: Neet HDMI-in to HDMI-out and TOSLink-out
The administrator has disabled public write access.