• Page:

TOPIC: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #21

• chewitt
  • Thank you received: 918
The default SAMBA config used by OE sets the box a domain/workgroup master browser. This is bad because it may upset some peoples networks. It is also good because it solves more windows domain browsing stupidity and problems than it causes. If you also set your PC to be the master browser via registry hacks you should run a custom samba.conf file (use the template in /storage/.config) and disable the forced master browser settings there else you may find the OE box still wins the elections. It can also help to make hosts entries (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and have everything run on DHCP reservations so the IPs don't change. This part of windows has sucked since the mid 90's :)
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by chewitt.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #22

• Rille_lkp
  • Junior Boarder
Ah, i thought (based on wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_SAMBA_Shares) that Openelec went through the standard election.

Changed samba.conf and now (from what i can see in the log) it doesn't become domain master any longer. Problem with opening WORKGROUP remains however.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #23

• DanPackMan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
This Lanscan tool for my windows pc helped me when troubleshooting. It quickly tells you who the master browser it.

I was often getting errors when I ran it, until I made my registry changes on my PC and Server, since then I can't recall getting any errors.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by DanPackMan.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #24

• Rille_lkp
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the tip, much easier then checking manually each IP/HOSTNAME using nbtstat. It gives no errors, i only have one master browser (my router)
Problem with not being able to access WORKGROUP from Openelec is however not related to my PCs running W7. I tried turning off all computers, started two HTPCs and they still can't open WORKGROUP. It seems like Openelec needs to be master browser or it doesn't work properly. Problem is that it (or i guess rather samba then openelec) doesn't work properly as a master browser either.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #25

• DanPackMan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Well, I did some checking and I still get errors from LanScan when my Openelec HTPC is on. Turn it off, the errors go away. I guess there is some type of Master Browser conflict going on. I'm not having any access problems anymore though. Maybe you need to hire a witchdoctor.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #26

• chewitt
Edit /storage/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml to contain the smb://user:pass@host/path/to/share that you're trying to access, and then make /storage/config/hosts.conf and create hosts entries for the machine(s) you're trying to reach (same format as any other hosts file) so that they are resolved locally without any need to f**k about with browsing services. Browsing is dependent on so many variables there is no straight answer to what your individual problem is. This does not "fix" the browsing problem, but it cleanly circumvents it.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #27

• chewitt
obviously.. that requires you to have the host machines on static DHCP reservations (best) or static IPs else you'll need to update the hosts.conf file all the time

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #28

• Rille_lkp
  • Junior Boarder
I already have all shares working, this is more me being curious and me wanting to find the problem :)
As i have 3 HTPCs i already use manual editing of sources.xml to set all shares and then copy them to all PCs and since smb:\\HOSTNAME works there's really nothing i need to fix. It just annoys me not knowing why my HTPCs can't browse WORKGROUP.
I have also setup a WINS-server so perhaps OpenELEC is resolving the HOSTNAME using WINS which is why smb:\\HOSTNAME works.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and tips.

Re: Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 9 months ago #29

• Rille_lkp
  • Junior Boarder
Couldn't let it go =)

Problem is solved by adding these lines to the global section of samba.conf:

lanman auth = yes
client lanman auth = yes
client plaintext auth = yes

Can't Access Openelec Filesystem Over Network 1 year 7 months ago #30

• Aledrus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm pulling my hair now..

Let me describe my setup.
I have two Win 7 machines,and 1 OpenElec Linux on Raspberry Pi.
I was able to browse folders on the OpenElec machine with \\IPADDRESS from Wndows Explorer and from my Android. I used to be able to do it just with \\OpenElec

I can't anymore. Not even with \\192.168.0.2\

But I can ping 192.168.0.2.
I can open the XBMC Media Control Browser at http://192.168.0.2
It also appears under Media Devices when I click on Network on Windows 7 - double clicking this opens Windows Media Player.

But I can't access the folders inside \\192.168.0.2\

The OpenElec is setup thru samba.conf to have prefered master = yes, domain master = yes.

At my Win 7 machine, I type cmd and then net view, and all I see are the two Windows 7 machines.
Using the nbstat, I discover that the machine I'm currently on is the _MSBROWSE_.

So the OpenElec doesn't appear on "net view" and it is not the master browser.

Extra info, the two windows 7 machines are on workgroup called DOMA
I typed this workgroup name in samba.conf as : workgroup = DOMA
But apparently it is not joining the Windows 7 workgroup. How do I specify to openElec the workgroup password?

How do I check if OpenElec has successfully joined the Windows 7 workgroup?

Am I right in assuming that it can't be elected as a Master Browser if its not part of the workgroup?

Thanks for any hints.
  • Page:

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut