• Page:

TOPIC: Samba Issues

Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #1

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
First let me say that I am new to OpenElEC but I am thoroughly impressed. I have a home built box with an I3-2125 intel processor. I first loaded the stable Dharma version but quickly decided to move to the 1.99.2 version. I had a couple of issues to overcome but after searching through the forum I was able to resolve all but one. I am no longer able to view the htpc box through SAMBA from either my Ubuntu or Window laptop. When I first installed 1.99.2 I did see the htpc box on the network and was able to successfully copy a few movies over the installed SSD but since then I have been unable to view the drive/files. I can SSH into the machine but no go for viewing through the network.

I did search through the forum trying to find an answer and I did find and apply this
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Troublesome_SAMBA_Shares
but still I am unable to see the htpc box on the network. Below is a what I currently have in the /storage/.config/samba.conf file. Is there something incorrect or missing? I tried shutting down all computers on the network and reboot starting with the htpc box but to no avail. When I try to view the network from my Ubuntu laptop I get a 'Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server' error message. Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me to a potential solution.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Currently in my /storage/.config/samba.conf.

[global]
server string = OpenELEC
workgroup = WORKGROUP
domain master = yes <-- Added as per instructions
local master = yes <-- Added as per instructions
preferred master = yes <-- Added as per instructions
os level = 100 <-- Added as per instructions
netbios name = OpenELEC
security = share
guest account = root
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
smb ports =445
max protocol = SMB2
min receivefile size = 16384
deadtime = 30
os level =20
mangled names = no
syslog only = yes
syslog = 2
name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
printcap name = /dev/null
load printers = no
encrypt passwords = true
enable core files = no
passdb backend = smbpasswd
smb encrypt = disabled
use sendfile = yes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #2

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
Doing some additional research I found this -> openelec.tv/forum/76-network-filesystems...t=20&start=180#29027

However I am not clear if this is something I need to create. I do not see a autostart.sh file in my /storage/.config/
If I do need this I am not quite understanding what I need to include in it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #3

• valzi
  • Junior Boarder
Samba will probably ALWAYS have issues in Openelec for you until they improve it. Mine does, anyway. The current release works much better than a few releases back, for me.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #4

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
What is weird is that it did originally worked when I first install RC2 but now no matter what I try I can not see the htpc box on the network from any computer. ugh, very frustrating . .

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #5

• kollock
  • Fresh Boarder
Wiped my XS35-GT Ion build to install 2.0 and now I'm getting Error 2: Share not available... never had an issue before

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #6

• valzi
  • Junior Boarder
That's a new one for me too. Just started happening in 1.99.1 for me.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 2 months ago #7

• xe
  • Staff
  • Thank you received: 76
valzi wrote:
Samba will probably ALWAYS have issues in Openelec for you until they improve it. Mine does, anyway. The current release works much better than a few releases back, for me.

Please quote your git bug report tickets. Vague references to potentially unreported issues help no one :)

We have extensively tested cifs for months now with no issues so it is odd you are seeing any.
#################################################
I collect Karma points feel free to contribute :)
#################################################

Re: Samba Issues <- Resolved 2 years 1 month ago #8

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
Finally figured out how to restore the samba drives on my htpc box through my Ubuntu laptop. See step "3b Ubuntu Update" in this link -> wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_to_OpenELEC_2.0

Entered my IP address and "root" as the username, hit connect and just like that my htpc drives appeared. Haven't tried it from a windows machine yet but glad this worked!

Seems though I now need to do this every time I start up the machine but a small price to pay for having it work.

Thanks to all that responded.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 1 month ago #9

• valzi
  • Junior Boarder
Forgot to ever reply to xe:

I can't quote tickets for this git thing you're talking about because I didn't buy any tickets, much less go to the show. Vague references to concerts I didn't go to help no one.

Here is the post in which I asked for help with Samba though, if that's anything like what you're looking for: openelec.tv/forum/110-update-openelec/47...able-reasons-in-post

It doesn't get very specific because the thread didn't generate interest, and I just let the thread die.

As I said though, the current version works much more often. To be specific about the problem, I often can't access the Samba share from any of the computers on the network, though they can all access each other's shares. To solve the problem, I reboot the OpenELEC machine. Sometimes one boot does the job, but sometimes I have to try 2 or three times. In earlier release candidates, it was more like 6-8 times, so this is much better.
  • Page:

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut