WETEK Play

We are looking for a person who can help us with writing articles and texts for our website. If you are familiar with OpenELEC and Kodi and you like writing articles (in english) please contact sraue via PM or via our IRC chat.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Samba Issues

Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #1

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
First let me say that I am new to OpenElEC but I am thoroughly impressed. I have a home built box with an I3-2125 intel processor. I first loaded the stable Dharma version but quickly decided to move to the 1.99.2 version. I had a couple of issues to overcome but after searching through the forum I was able to resolve all but one. I am no longer able to view the htpc box through SAMBA from either my Ubuntu or Window laptop. When I first installed 1.99.2 I did see the htpc box on the network and was able to successfully copy a few movies over the installed SSD but since then I have been unable to view the drive/files. I can SSH into the machine but no go for viewing through the network.

I did search through the forum trying to find an answer and I did find and apply this
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Troublesome_SAMBA_Shares
but still I am unable to see the htpc box on the network. Below is a what I currently have in the /storage/.config/samba.conf file. Is there something incorrect or missing? I tried shutting down all computers on the network and reboot starting with the htpc box but to no avail. When I try to view the network from my Ubuntu laptop I get a 'Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server' error message. Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me to a potential solution.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Currently in my /storage/.config/samba.conf.

[global]
server string = OpenELEC
workgroup = WORKGROUP
domain master = yes <-- Added as per instructions
local master = yes <-- Added as per instructions
preferred master = yes <-- Added as per instructions
os level = 100 <-- Added as per instructions
netbios name = OpenELEC
security = share
guest account = root
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
smb ports =445
max protocol = SMB2
min receivefile size = 16384
deadtime = 30
os level =20
mangled names = no
syslog only = yes
syslog = 2
name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
printcap name = /dev/null
load printers = no
encrypt passwords = true
enable core files = no
passdb backend = smbpasswd
smb encrypt = disabled
use sendfile = yes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #2

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
Doing some additional research I found this -> openelec.tv/forum/76-network-filesystems/11391-netmountconf-is-ditched-in-new-eden-how-to-set-sambacifs-shares?limit=20&start=180#29027

However I am not clear if this is something I need to create. I do not see a autostart.sh file in my /storage/.config/
If I do need this I am not quite understanding what I need to include in it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #3

• valzi
  • Junior Boarder
Samba will probably ALWAYS have issues in Openelec for you until they improve it. Mine does, anyway. The current release works much better than a few releases back, for me.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #4

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
What is weird is that it did originally worked when I first install RC2 but now no matter what I try I can not see the htpc box on the network from any computer. ugh, very frustrating . .

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #5

• kollock
  • Fresh Boarder
Wiped my XS35-GT Ion build to install 2.0 and now I'm getting Error 2: Share not available... never had an issue before

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #6

• valzi
  • Junior Boarder
That's a new one for me too. Just started happening in 1.99.1 for me.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #7

• xe
  • Staff
  • Thank you received: 78
valzi wrote:
Samba will probably ALWAYS have issues in Openelec for you until they improve it. Mine does, anyway. The current release works much better than a few releases back, for me.

Please quote your git bug report tickets. Vague references to potentially unreported issues help no one :)

We have extensively tested cifs for months now with no issues so it is odd you are seeing any.
#################################################
I collect Karma points feel free to contribute :)
#################################################

Re: Samba Issues <- Resolved 2 years 10 months ago #8

• rsp
  • Junior Boarder
Finally figured out how to restore the samba drives on my htpc box through my Ubuntu laptop. See step "3b Ubuntu Update" in this link -> wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_to_OpenELEC_2.0

Entered my IP address and "root" as the username, hit connect and just like that my htpc drives appeared. Haven't tried it from a windows machine yet but glad this worked!

Seems though I now need to do this every time I start up the machine but a small price to pay for having it work.

Thanks to all that responded.

Re: Samba Issues 2 years 10 months ago #9

• valzi
  • Junior Boarder
Forgot to ever reply to xe:

I can't quote tickets for this git thing you're talking about because I didn't buy any tickets, much less go to the show. Vague references to concerts I didn't go to help no one.

Here is the post in which I asked for help with Samba though, if that's anything like what you're looking for: openelec.tv/forum/110-update-openelec/47505-should-i-roll-back-to-stable-reasons-in-post

It doesn't get very specific because the thread didn't generate interest, and I just let the thread die.

As I said though, the current version works much more often. To be specific about the problem, I often can't access the Samba share from any of the computers on the network, though they can all access each other's shares. To solve the problem, I reboot the OpenELEC machine. Sometimes one boot does the job, but sometimes I have to try 2 or three times. In earlier release candidates, it was more like 6-8 times, so this is much better.
Moderators: lrusak