TOPIC: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected"

Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #1

• g0pkh
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi There

I am trying the RC5 version of OpenELEC on a ZOTAC ION MINI ITX A motherboard, and have come across this strange problem. I believe this has been mentioned before, but I cannot as yet find a cure.

After installation the system aquires a network connection with an IP address aquired by DHCP from my router which is fine, I am also able to establish an SMB connection to my unraid video share. However the system is unable to connect to the Internet for any downloads of extra add-ons such as updates or skins etc.

When I go into the Settings pages and system info, I see the error "Internet Not connected check network settings". The LAN connection is however solid and the connection remains to to my server.

I can connect into OpenELEC using SSH (putty) with no problem whatsoever, and have noticed that after this connection is established that the Internet Connection also works (for a while, before dropping again).

Why is just the Internet connection affected and not the overall LAN connection ?
There is no problem with the hardware since XBMC dharma 10.1 installed from the LIVECD works just fine.

This problem has been before (I found by searching the forums) however I do not see any real acknowledgment nor help with a fix.

I also notice the "DNS server" entry in XBMC settings is showing as 127.0.0.1 (local loopback) rather than that issued by my DHCP server (compared to the LIVECD install which is correct).
I have tried to correct this by manually editing /etc/resolv.conf however OpenELEC has a write protected system of course.

I have also tried manually entering a Static IP address in the OpenELEC program add-on but have noticed that whatever DNS settings I enter, the entry in XBMC settings remains fixed at 127.0.0.1

Static IP Address however does take effect and is reflected in XBMC.

This Internet connection problem is a show stopper for me unfortunately. I really thought OpenELEC was the way to go, the boot times and simplicity (compared even to the LIVECD system) is fantastic.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this ?

Regards

Pete
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #2

• splnut
  • Junior Boarder
I am also running a Zotac IONITX-A-U (Wireless for now) and have the same issue with DNS not being correct. I have noticed that when I scan for new content it will pop up stating that information can not be downloaded at this time and if I want to continue (or something similar). Although I am still able to stream media from local machine.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by splnut.

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #3

• g0pkh
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi

I am not of course entirely sure that the DNS setting is the cause of this issue, but when
compared to the same machine using the 10.1 LIVECD build, the DNS reflected in XBMC is that expected from my router, in my case 192.168.10.250, this value is also reflected in the file
/etc/resolv.conf as "nameserver"

However since the OpenELEC build is write protected, I cannot edit resolv.conf to confirm this is the cause, and obviously since I cannot edit it, I can see no way that the coded entry of 127.0.0.1 can be altered.

What I want to know of course, is why when you manually edit the OpenELEC entries for DNS using the supplied add-on are these not reflected in XBMC, I suspect that these settings are actually only used for the SAMBA utility. In this instance I have no use for SAMBA on the XBMC machine, since all of my movies are streamed directly from another server (in this case unRAID). I have no need to connect in any way to the XBMC box, apart from SSH possibly.

Is the fact that the DNS entry is shown as 127.0.0.1 the route cause of loss of Internet connectively ? I think only the OpenELEC author can answer that.

In my case I am using a wired connection, and just to be totally clear about it,
THE LAN CONNECTION does NOT drop, just the loss of Internet connectivity.

Regards

Pete
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by g0pkh. Reason: corrections

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #4

• znelbok
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I too see the same thing with the DNS address.

I also have issues with the subnet mask being set to 0.0.0.0 on a restart out of suspend/sleep.

Mick

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #5

• HarryRosen
  • Fresh Boarder
Has this been fixed in any nightly builds, I want to move back to openelec but this is very annoying issue when the internet part drops out and i can't scrape info anymore

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #6

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 376
HarryRosen wrote:
Has this been fixed in any nightly builds, I want to move back to openelec but this is very annoying issue when the internet part drops out and i can't scrape info anymore

can you test this? you can install on a usb stick to test.

Stephan

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #7

• HarryRosen
  • Fresh Boarder
test the nightly? I will test tonight, it only happens when i resume from suspend

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #8

• g0pkh
  • Fresh Boarder
It happened to me, all the time, on two machines that I was building for family members

I went back to 10.1 LiveCD

Pity, because I really like OpenELEC.

It just seems to be a problem with the built-in proxy.
Could you just not provide a symlink to resolve.conf in a writable part of the file system
and let XBMC alter it, like it always has ?
It does seem rather unnecessary to provide a built-in proxy.

Pete

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #9

• chewitt
  • Thank you received: 857
The connection manager in OE (connmand) implements a local DNS proxy so XMBC (correctly) reports 127.0.0.1 as the configured DNS server. It's an oddity of OE, and very probably not the problem. After a clean reboot, and when the internet connection has dropped, can you copy/paste the following to pastebin.com and share the links:

dmesg
ifconfig
/var/log/messages
/var/lib/connman/default.profile
~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/os.openelec.settings/settings.xml

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #10

• halotestin
  • Junior Boarder
Getting a fully working internet connection in openelec is a ******* nightmare... Zbox ID40, LAN connection is up, Internet is completely dead in xbmc, everything in my network works flawlessly... except openelec.. It's been a pain since first install...
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by gilphilbert. Reason: Removed profanity

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #11

• gilphilbert
  • Thank you received: 42
halotestin - I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Reading on the forums the issue only started after RC5 - have you opened up a thread specifically about this, or tried the IRC channel?
OpenELEC.tv - the future of XBMC...

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #12

• claypigeon
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
For those having this issue, check to see if your internet is dead or you have just lost the ability to resolve DNS names. I was having a similar issue where openelec would look like it lost Internet connectivity, when in fact IP connectivity was working fine but the host could no longer resolve correctly, you can test this by ssh in to your host and from the shell ping an ip address directly, for example:

ping 74.125.224.80

That is one of the IP address for google.com. When I was having the problem if I pinged google.com it would return something like "bad address" What turned out to be the cause was one of the daemonds in that openelec is using for managing the network called connmand was segfaulting. If this is what is happening to you, the connmand daemond will no longer be running. you can check this with the following command:

ps -elf |grep connmand

that should return something like:
  436 root       0:06 /usr/sbin/connmand
32138 root       0:00 grep connmand

if you dont understand unix, what you are looking at is the first line showing the running connmand daemond the second showing the grep command (string search utility) we just ran against the output of the ps command searching for the string connmand.

If you dont see /usr/sbin/connmand as a running process, the connmand daemond is not running and your DNS services will fail.

You can look in your /var/log directory at the messages file for details of its demise. You will want to look for something like the following in /var/log/messages:
May 11 02:43:03 (none) daemon.err connmand[502]: Aborting (signal 11)

signal 11 is the signal for SIGSEGV which is a segment fault, basically the process failed in a unplanned way typicality due to a something like a memory violation.

You can "grep connmand /var/log/messages" to search for any syslog messages regarding connmand

If you had the same issue I was having this crash was preceded with a log of messages like
May 11 02:40:11 (none) daemon.err connmand[502]: Error with UDP server 192.168.10.1
192.168.10.1 is my router and my name server, and just for disclosure the router is running dd-wrt. So what ever this error message is, connmand and my router or DNS server had some disagreement about something, and sadly I could not find good connmand documentation and the IRC group supporting connmand was not very helpful in illuminate the situation.

you can see an example of my messages in the following pastbin pastebin.com/VQcv3FNM

You will see lots of these messages, the log file was full of them, Until eventually connmand just failed with a segfault on line 371. Regrettably and arguably connmand does not get restarted upon segfaulting, but the good news is you can restart it from the command line. From the shell just run "connmand" this should restart connmand and you should now be able to access the Internet using domain names. you can test this just by pinging google.com from your shell. With connmand running it should now resolve the DNS name to an IP address and ping will work as should your XBMC applications, that is until connmand fails again, which if you are having the same issue I am, it will happen again it is just a mater of time.

So now you might be asking what is the root cause, did you fix it, and assuming so how did you fix it?

Good question. Clearly connmand is segfaulting and that should not happen, so I would call that a bug in connmand. As I showed my log, prior to the segfaulting of connmand, there were a lot of error messages "Error with UDP server 192.168.10.1" so I knew there was some kind of issues I just had no real idea of exactly what it was, but my bet was it had to do with the DNS protocol since dns normally uses a UDP datagram, 192.168.10.1 was acting as a DNS server and connmand.

The one issue I found with how my router was set up, is I purposefully put in an domain name into it which is not my real domain name, you can see it in the log as "May 11 02:40:04 (none) daemon.info connmand[502]: Setting domainname to mnet.com". I just used it as a bogus internal domain name, knowing that it was in use publicly, but it was purely for my own internal use so I didn't care. I did change this to match my isp domain name to see if might be an issue, even though that is not technically correct to do either. At the same time, I also upgraded my router code to the the latest version or dd-wrt, and converted to using DNSmasq. So there were 3 major changes to my DNS server and router, and after I made those changes the UDP error messages went away and connmand has been solid ever since.

I can't say exactly what resolved the issue, but connmand is no longer crashing, regardless it should never segfault. Clearly there was some unexpected condition occurring with connmand, but after I changed my configuration, I no longer get UDP error messages from connmand. So if your problems with Internet connective loss are similar to mine, take a good look at your gateway/DHCP/name server configuration. Regardless connmand should not SIGSEGV due to how external systems are configured.

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #13

• MindTooth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Updated to the latest snapshot release today, and I lost my wireless connection.

Is there something that has changes, that might have caused this problem for us?

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #14

• sraue
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 376
Hi,
MindTooth wrote:
Updated to the latest snapshot release today, and I lost my wireless connection.

Is there something that has changes, that might have caused this problem for us?

from which release to which you have upgraded?
try the latest from today (r7139)

Re: Intermittant "Internet Not Connected" 3 years 3 months ago #15

• MindTooth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Will do, Stephan. I tried the previous one.

I'll report back later.

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo