NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can't get vpn to work

Can't get vpn to work 2 years 7 months ago #1

• mplaats
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I've tried to install vpn using the method described in the thread about brian hornsby OpenVPN addon but I can't get it to work om my RP2 with OpenElec 5.0.8.

I'm using mullvad as vpn client. I've downloaded their config files and edited them to use /storage/.config/vpn-config (they're not using a username & password but are using a key file). I've also installed brian hornsby OpenVpn. When I try to start the vpn using the addon I'm getting an "Unable to connect to OpenVPN management interface" error. I've also changed to openvpn path to use /usr/sbin/openvpn.

Next I've tried to setup vpn using the OpenElec config installer. It says ready but I get an ip address in the range of 10.8.x.x and can't connect to the internet.

Anyone any idea on what I'm suppose to change to get it to work?

T.i.a.,
mplaats.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't get vpn to work 9 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Ylan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi mplaats,

did you get it to work? Or have you switched to another VPN-service? Or did you just drop it?

Humbly, Ylan

Can't get vpn to work 4 months 2 weeks ago #3

• W00doo
  • Fresh Boarder
I've got this working by:

1. Using the OpenVPN Manager addon (thevpn.guru/install-zomboided-kodi-17-vpn-addon).

2. When you download your config files from Mullvad, extract them and delete the windows ovpn file (mullvad_windows.conf.ovpn) and rename the linux config file (mullvad_linux.conf) to mullvad_linux.conf.ovpn.

3. Open the linux ovpn file up and comment out the up / down scrips section out as follows:

# Parses DHCP options from openvpn to update resolv.conf
#up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
#down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

Note: This is because OpenElec doesn't have the resolvconf package installed, nor can you install it (the file system is read only). This leaves the connection open to DNS leaks. To combat this, you need to hard code the dns server you provided by Mullvad into the DNS settings for the system (which you can do through the UI - OpenElec Settings > Connection > Edit > DNS)

4. Copy all the files over to the filesystem on OpenElec
5. Use the "User Defined" profile for OpenVPN Manager and then use the import wizard through the GUI of OpenVPN Manager on OpenElec to choose the directory where you have saved the files.
6. Import the files, confirming as necessary then connect to the VPN using the connection tab to validate the connection.

Job Done!