As title suggests none of my laptop’s network interfaces work with openelec since i updated from version 5.0.8 to 6.0.3. I run openelec from a USB thumbdrive in live mode. Originally i thought it was only wi-fi that didn’t run, since ifconfig / ip didn’t show my wifi adapter, but later i found out that wired connection didn’t work either. No hardware LED indication on LAN port even. That same laptop runs both interfaces just fine once booted into Win7 installed on it’s HDD. Both also worked fine under openelec 5.0.8.
My laptop is a rather old one (purchased almost 10 years back) - Acer TravelMate 5520G-501G16Mi P/N: LX.TKP0C.002
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0GHz
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256Mb 64bit
I also have another issue since updating. On the bootup i get the 'MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC' message.[ Click to expand ][ Click to hide ]
It hangs there for about a minute and then proceeds with the boot process. No idea if it’s related to the original issue. I researched it a little bit and different sources suggest updating BIOS, but i think i have the latest one installed. I also tried using different boot parameters suggested: acpi_use_timer_override - caused no noticeable effect
Respective log-snapshots attached. I had to connect additional USB thumbdrive in the process, so disregard that.
Let me know if i can provide additional logs/information to help resolve this issue.
P.S.: I also considered updating to latest beta (7.0 b3 at the time of writing), but i’m in no hurry so if it’s worth researching this particular issue i’ll hang for the time being. Might have to rollback to 5.0.8 eventually if the latest one doesn’t work either.
Now that i have some spare time to do more research it turned out that there was a switch of drivers used in OpenELEC for Broadcom WLAN adapters. I've since returned to the legacy 5.0.8 release and did a 'proper' install of it onto that same USB thumbdrive. After i got the full set of support logs from that and inspected them i was able to confirm 5.0.8 uses b43 driver for my WLAN card while newer builds attempt to load proprietary Broadcom driver(bcm_sta aka wl).
So it appears like appropriate driver is being picked and loaded, but wlan0 doesn't appear under ifconfig. I tested various module blacklisting setups to no avail. Thus still hitting a wall on this front.
To touch briefly on other issues: wired LAN works fine under 7.0 beta 3 release so i guess that is out of the picture for now. As for the 'MP-BIOS bug' for me it is present during boot of the 5.0.8 release as well, but is skipped rather quickly, dunno what's the deal with that.
Set of logs from OE5 and OE7 attached for comparison