• Page:

TOPIC: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously

general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 2 years 1 week ago #1

• binhex
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hi just a general question, i dont know if anybody is running this or something similar but wondered if a zotac id41 box would be powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously?. the unit spec is as follows:-

CPU Compatibility
Name Intel® Atom™ D525 (dual-core) (1.8 GHz)
Socket NA (integrated CPU)
Frontside bus 800 MHz

i have 4GB of ram fitted, running a internal SSD, will record to unraid server.

ideally would like to either use hdhomerun boxes or usb tv tuners

edit - sorry forgot to mention, both the backend and frontend will be running on this device.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 week ago by binhex.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 2 years 6 days ago #2

• Darksoul71
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I do not see any issues here.
I have been using an AMD E350-based PC (2x1.6 GHz) over a year for recording single DVB-T streams without issues. Even heavier load to the system (e.g. copying a lot of files, Audio or Video file encoding) caused any drop outs or artifacts inside the DVB-T stream.

Keep in mind that "recording" DVB streams only means writing a data stream to your HDD. DVB-T streams usually have a max bitrate of 10 MBit/s which translates to data rates below 1.5 MB/s.

If your HDD is fast enough to constantly write 3 MB/s (which even the slowest 2.5" HDD should be) then even writing two DVB-S2 streams would not cause problems for your box.
My OpenELEC Box:
Intel E4500 w. AC Freezer 64 Pro / 2GB DDR2 RAM / 1TB HDD for media /
PCIe GeForce 8400GS / 4GB SANDISK USB Stick (OpenELEC) / Yakumo DVB-T stick

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 2 years 6 days ago #3

• binhex
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks darksoul I think I might take plunge then and get a dual dvb-t usb stick.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 2 years 5 days ago #4

• Darksoul71
  • Junior Boarder
You are welcome !
The questions to me would be though if to get a single dual or two single DVB-T sticks.
Linux ususally plays nicely with multiple identical devices. ;)

Alt least compared to Windows :sick:
My OpenELEC Box:
Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by Darksoul71.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 2 years 3 days ago #5

• binhex
  • Junior Boarder
Gone with a single dual usb tuner, see people are having a lot of luck with this one K-world DVB-T 499U-2T USB Dual Digital Terestrial TV Tuner hopefully it will work fine.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 2 years 1 day ago #6

• Darksoul71
  • Junior Boarder
Might be useful if you report back if it works fine.
The supported hardware part in the wiki is still very incomplete ! :huh:
My OpenELEC Box:

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 1 year 11 months ago #7

• binhex
  • Junior Boarder
hi darksoul, thought i would give some feedback as requested :-)

The Good
i can confirm the usb tv dongle (K-world DVB-T 499U-2T USB Dual Digital Terestrial TV Tuner) does indeed work perfectly, i could record two dvb-t streams at the same time, i could watch live tv with no breakups, switching channel was very fast too, faster than my quad core wmc with hauppauge nova-t pci cards :-), so i would def recommend giving the usb dongle a go, especially since these things cost only £30!!!

The Bad
tvheadend - working out how to get channels to appear in openelec is something of a dark art, i struggled with this for some time before coming to the conclusion that the muxes automatically added by tvheadend are wildly out of date and therefore completely useless. thus i cranked up google and managed to find a site which lists the correct frequencies and values for uk freeview. once i have manually added in the muxes the services started to appear and i could then click on (what was) stubbornly greyed out button to map to channels, yay!.

The Ugly
epg and timeshift - so i have channels now in xbmc but no epg, hmm i thought shouldnt this just populate once the channels are there?, not so, bit more googling and i fould a utility which pulls down epg from microsoft, copied the resulting xml over and now have epg, yay again. timeshift is sadly missing, i was aware of this before i got the usb tuner, but still disapointed that its not there at the moment, fingers crossed this will be included in xbmc frodo soon.

ok so there we go, long post but i hope it helps somebody out, conclusion is that i WONT be shutting down WMC for TV quite yet as the WAF would go out the window, but i am very keen to see how frodo develops, looks like i will be downloading openelec dev builds soon :-).

ok here are the links to the bits and pieces i needed to get going:-

list of frequencies for uk freeview - just click on the transmitter nearest to you, then go down the list and note frequencies and the QAM value and ?K value, the rest leave as auto

www.ukfree.tv/txlist.php

googd guide for the fundamentals of getting this all working:-

www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/boards/14/topics/4798

last but not least, tool for generating epg:-

mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

good luck!.

binhex.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 1 year 11 months ago #8

• Darksoul71
  • Junior Boarder
Heya binhex,

thanks for the feedback. I guess this might help anyone searching for dualtuner DVB-T device.
At least if they search the forum. :)

Since I have not tried timeshifting with my Yakumo stick I can not give feedback how well this works with my device in OpenELEC. What I can tell you though is that both tuning the channels and EPG have worked pretty much automagically (as they say today). The muxes which are available via TVHeadend seem to be pretty outdated depending on your location.

I simply used the search muxes functionality inside TVHeadend. It took a while but all available channels where found.
The EPG itself grabs its data fine from all muxes available. So the WAF here would be high enough although I currently teach my wife how to use EPG on our Xoro STB :)

I am not much of an expert in regard to TVHeadend but for your dualtuner box my expectation would be that you are able to use both muxes and EPG straight from the device without external tools.

HTH,
D$

Edit: Here is a posting on DVB-T in UK and issues with finding muxes:
openelec.tv/forum/79-tvheadend/43362-for...ing-serviceschannels
My OpenELEC Box:
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Darksoul71.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 1 year 11 months ago #9

• binhex
  • Junior Boarder
Darksoul71 wrote:
The EPG itself grabs its data fine from all muxes available.

hmm interesting, so how did you trigger tvheadend and/or xbmc to update the epg information?, i found only the option in xbmc to either pull data from a website or to import from an xml file, can you give me the steps you used to populate epg, i would much rather go down this route than have to use the mc2xml tool every 2 weeks to pull down epg information!.

thanks a lot for the link to the guide regards grabbing the mux information, that def will help!, not sure why tvheadend cant incorporate what w_scan is doing so thats its automagic? :-), but hey its a workaround and for that im grateful.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 1 year 11 months ago #10

• Darksoul71
  • Junior Boarder
Heya binhex,

Hm, I did not trigger anything so far IIRC :huh:

I simply followed the steps which seemed logical. At least after reading this:
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=OpenELEC_Tvheadend_addon

I selected my DVB-T stick as adapter, started a channel scan. Then I added the muxes as channels to TVHeadend. The EPG within TVHeadend was first unpopulated but filled after a while I let the PC running. May be 20 to 30 minutes later I could see all the available program for the channels I selected. I think the most important step is to assign all your muxes (as the found channels are called) to channels inside TVHE.

HTH,
D$

Edit: If nothing works, it might even be possible to use external tools to grab the EPG from the DVB-T stream and dump it into a XMLTV file:
www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/issues/325#note-2
tvgrabeit.sourceforge.net/
My OpenELEC Box:
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Darksoul71.

Re: general question - zotac id41 powerful enough to record 2 dvb-t broadcasts simultaneously 1 year 11 months ago #11

• Darksoul71
  • Junior Boarder
Short note:
I saw that there is a simple XMLTV file grabber configured inside my OpenELEC installation per default. So my best guess is that TVHeadend might use something like tvgrabit in the back to produce an XMLTV file which is read in the background.
My OpenELEC Box:
The following user(s) said Thank You: binhex
  • Page:

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut