TOPIC: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly?

MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 21 hours ago #1

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Reading this thread:
cMyth MythTV addon for the PVR version of XBMC

It looks like a MythTV / OpenELEC combination could be the PVR solution I am looking for. My mandatory requirements are:
  • Must be Wife Friendly - Select 'TV' from the main screen, browse channels, EPG (pulled from the over-the-air embedded EPG data)
  • Must be able to pause, rewind, fast-forward
  • Must be able to record currently watched program with a single remote button press
  • Must be able to schedule recording of individual shows, or a series of shows, via the EPG

Now while Windows 7 Media Centre does this all 'out-of-the-box', I'm willing to put up with a bit of pain installing the MythTV backend and configuring the OpenELEC frontend (including building from source)

Is the MythTV / OpenELEC combination ready to meet my needs?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 18 hours ago #2

• CvH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 58
I´am not quite sure about the timeshift. I didn´t know if XBMC support it.

TVH didn´t support it at the moment, VDR does.

MythTV is somewhat user unfriendly i would test VDR.
SAT>IP + J1900
SAT>IP + Intel G3258

OpenElec 4 images with support for much more DVB cards !
Last Edit: 2 years 16 hours ago by CvH. Reason: typo

Re: Aw: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 16 hours ago #3

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
So are you saying there is no way to do timeshift in xbmc at all (even with VDR)?
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by calris. Reason: fixed typo (xbox->xbmc)

Aw: Re: Aw: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 16 hours ago #4

• CvH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 58
VDR is supporting timeshift, but if the XBMC integration can handle it have to be tested :)
SAT>IP + J1900
SAT>IP + Intel G3258

OpenElec 4 images with support for much more DVB cards !

Sv: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 12 hours ago #5

• jenkins
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 98
No... Not supported at the moment Lars is working on it...

Id say use TVH it is easyer to setup...
If you dont already know myth?

Use mce remote and my remote.xml
Use ION system
Dont use WiFi

With this you are good :-)
Except for tshift... Use XOT ondemand insted

sent from tapatalk
If I've helped you, hit me with some karma...

rTorrent Service addon HERE
remote.xml HERE
Last Edit: 2 years 12 hours ago by jenkins.

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 12 hours ago #6

• kbekus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
calris - I'm not sure I'd hand it off to the wife just yet... the cmyth code is only just getting there. If you jump into the development thread on xbmc: thread you'll see it's progress.

What are your requirements out of curiosity?

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 2 years 2 hours ago #7

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
I'm planning on replacing our existing Windows 7 media center with XBMC (sick of the freezing and CDs missing from the library amongst other things).

I'm more than happy to be a beta tester and compile from code. But I don't want to spend to much time doing that if cmyth won't provide the timeshifting feature any time soon.

I have a spare DVB-The tuner card in my development PC (Fedora 17). So I can use that machine as a backend server for testing.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #8

• kbekus
  • Junior Boarder
The timeshifting feature is somewhat broken right now, and I'm not sure if it's a cmyth addon problem or a problem within XBMC... from reading here it seems that you *CAN* timeshift but there are issues with ongoing recordings
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by kbekus.

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #9

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
So the question remains - Who is leading the 'XBMC Timeshift' race? TvHeadend isn't in the race (yet) so it seems to be VDR v. cMyth v. MediaPortal. From what I am reading:
  • Standalone MythTV supports time shifting (pause, rewind, fast forward)
  • Standalone VDR supports time shifting (pause, rewind, fast forward)
  • The XBMC PVR API is designed to support backends that support time shifting
  • MythTV + cMyth + XBMC (Eden + PVR or Frodo) are 'close'
  • VDR + XBMC (Eden + PVR or Frodo) could be close (not much info)
  • MediaPortal + XBMC (Eden + PVR or Frodo) may provide solid but rudimentary support
  • XBMC PVR API might still need some work (scheduling of new recordings for series?)

As I said, I have a Fedora box with a spare TV Tuner and a willingness to experience the bleeding edge. Time for me to 'muck in' :)
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by calris.

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #10

• sebj
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-and-tricks/31170-mythtv-025-addon-for-openelec-r10534

Doesn't get more WAF points than this. It's a little out there, but everything works.

You can mod confluence to add a home screen item that launches the addon.

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #11

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
I've installed MythTV 0.25 and managed to get the TV channels tuned in. It was a bit of a pain to setup (manual setup of the MySQL database), but all-in-all, it didn't take too much effort.

So now I can watch TV on my dev machine, but the built-in OpenELEC MythTV plugin does not seem to work at all (designed for MythTV 0.24?). I'll try to build one of the development plugins being worked on during the week (unless someone can point me to prebuilt x64 plugin)

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #12

• kbekus
  • Junior Boarder
Looks like the XBMC wiki has been updated RE: timeshifting.

calris - what platform are you running OpenELEC on? The plugin that comes with OpenELEC stable doesn't really work at all (it ought not be included I reckon). Try the one I compiled in the other thread.

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #13

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
kbekus wrote:
Looks like the XBMC wiki has been updated RE: timeshifting.
Excellent :)
kbekus wrote:
calris - what platform are you running OpenELEC on?
It's an AMD E350 based board, so x86_64
kbekus wrote:
The plugin that comes with OpenELEC stable doesn't really work at all (it ought not be included I reckon).
I'm glad I didn't spend too much time trying to get it to work then
kbekus wrote:
Try the one I compiled in the other thread.
I assume the info on the wiki (as updated as it is) is for the standard plugin which doesn't work. I'll try getting the one mentioned in the other thread

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #14

• calris
  • Junior Boarder
calris wrote:
So the question remains - Who is leading the 'XBMC Timeshift' race? TvHeadend isn't in the race (yet) so it seems to be VDR v. cMyth v. MediaPortal.
I had a quick look at MediaPortal, but that seems to be very Windows centric. I could try and build from source, but I don't like my chances of getting the support I would otherwise get by going the MythTV route.

But now I am really confused as to the direction to go... It's like an endless array of options:
  • MythTV 0.24, 0.25 or 0.26
  • myth:// protocol or cmyth
  • XBMC vanilla or PVR addon

Here are a few links I've found so far:
So much info, so many choices, so much confusion - At this very moment, I am in a state of total despair :( Why does there need to be so many unrelated projects all looking at solving exactly the same problem (seamless integration of a MythTV backend with full-blown PVR support including timeshifting).

MythTV 0.25 is currently provided in the main YUM repositories for Fedora 17, so that is what I am currently[/] running. I wouldn't know exactly which commit of 0.25 I am using though.

I'm perfectly capable and happy to build any version of MythTV (the backend server is my dev machine, so that makes life much easier). I can also give building a XMBC add-on (for OpenELEC 2.0) a go.

Re: MythTV Backend / OpenELEC Frontend - Wife Friendly? 1 year 11 months ago #15

• kbekus
  • Junior Boarder
:) Yeah it is very confusing, there are (at least) 3 approaches to having an XBMC frontend talk to a MythTV back end!

1 - various myth addons, development is tailing off as far as I'm aware. Your third link. People have it working now, and in that thread are links for compiled versions. Works with XBMC Eden because it's a generic addon, not a PVR addon. No idea if it supports timeshifting.
2 - using the myth:// protocol and adding it as a video source to XBMC. I think this uses the libcmyth underlying library *but* the version of libcmyth used is old and it's not possible to easily use the updated libcmyth I refer to as option 3 below.
3 - using the libcmyth library and a PVR capable XBMC build. In active development as per your first link. Go this choice. It's still somewhat raw but is usable now and supports up to and including Myth 0.26

To be honest I'd recommend option 3. It will require a nightly version of OE (the released version 2.0 is still Eden + the PVR branch which is too old - it doesn't support the API version in the newest cmyth). This gives you a Frodo build of OE.
Then get the libcmyth PVR addon. You can compile your own - just grab the cfetzerc git, it is the somewhat stable PVR code, or if you want to try bleeding edge grab the janbar git. My compiled version is in your 4th link. It's about 2 weeks old though, I need to compile a newer version. It works but does crash occasionally.

Timeshifting. I believe it's still a work in progress within XBMC, let alone the PVR addons. Check post 1468 in your first listed link. I think the code is in XBMC (you'll need a recent nightly), just now that the libcmyth PVR addon needs some code to support it.

FWIW I have a Scientific Linux 6.3 backend running MythTV 0.25.2. I would like timeshifting but I'm willing to accept waiting for it. I just have scheduled recordings I want to play back later on. So I use a nightly OE on both ION and RPi. Then I have the libcmyth PVR addon compiled and working on my ION setup. I don't yet have a version of the addon for RPi.

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut