NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cache on Kodi-Openelec

Cache on Kodi-Openelec 2 years 5 months ago #1

I want to make a video cache to have less buffering when playing movies and TV shows on "slow internet". I have a Asus Chromebox with 6 or 8GB ram with Kodi stable.

I want to make an advancedsettings.xml and put it in root folder (in kodi root folder), but do not know how to move files in root. I have a Minix X7 (Android KK TV box) running kodi and it can cache a whole show since I changed the advansettings.xml.

I am trying to do the same with this box but am not great with linux. Do I have to use commands or is there a way to manually move files? I have been stuck on this since I bought Chromebox.

Please help me make this box functional. My android box is excellent, but it force closes a lot unlike the chromebox openelec version.

(Hope I have posted in correct forum. Please let me know if I have not or moderator please move.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cache on Kodi-Openelec 2 years 5 months ago #2

• chewitt
nano /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Copy/paste or type the content you want in the file and ctrl+o to save then ctrl+x to exit, then reboot.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by .

Re:Cache on Kodi-Openelec 2 years 5 months ago #3

• Namoi
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
You can also use winSCP if you are under windows.
It's really convenient when you are used to graphical explorer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cyrusalmighty

Re:Cache on Kodi-Openelec 2 years 5 months ago #4

chewitt wrote:
nano /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Copy/paste or type the content you want in the file and ctrl+o to save then ctrl+x to exit, then reboot.
I am trying to open terminal to try this method, but I cant figure out how. Is there any way to open a command terminal while in Openelec? I restart the Chromebox but I only have the "Boot menu" option. I do not have another computer to remotely access into openelec. I have searched to find out how to use nano but i find nothing yet.

Re:Cache on Kodi-Openelec 2 years 5 months ago #5

• chewitt
There is no text editor *in* Kodi so you will need another computer to access the box over SSH with. I have an app on a mobile phone (which is on the same network as the OE box) for emergencies .. that might be an option?

Re:Re:Cache on Kodi-Openelec 2 years 5 months ago #6

chewitt wrote:
There is no text editor *in* Kodi so you will need another computer to access the box over SSH with. I have an app on a mobile phone (which is on the same network as the OE box) for emergencies .. that might be an option?
I was able to get to a windows laptop and make the needed xml file. I am happy to say it finally worked for me. I cached a whole show on slow internet in just a few minutes.

I searched for a while and realized it was easier to remote ssh then to keep looking for a local terminal option. But now that you mentioned the phone app you have made me very interested. I appreciate all the help here.:thumbup::thumbup::D

Cache on Kodi-Openelec 5 months 6 days ago #7

• kodikwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
We completely understand how tiresome it is to follow the process but we recommend you to follow our blog for the simplest tutorial.
Last Edit: 5 months 6 days ago by kodikwiz.