• Page:

TOPIC: IPTV and Internet streams in XBMC (openelec)

IPTV and Internet streams in XBMC (openelec) 2 years 6 months ago #1

• porga
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,

can anyone explain me difference between IPTV and TV streams that are available as plugins in XBMC (like Al Jazeera)?

Also, can someone provide me with working IPTV channels or STREAMS (free or paid) which I can watch in openelec, and basic tutorial how to add them to Openelec?

You can answer me here or in PM box.

Thank you very much.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IPTV and Internet streams in XBMC (openelec) 2 years 6 months ago #2

• chewitt
  • Thank you received: 918
TV stream plugins access content over the internet via HTTP and simlar web protocols and they're either free (like Al Jazeera) or geolocked to specific countries (e.g. BBC iPlayer). The plugin is just rendering web content in a format better suited to your TV, but it's the same content you can access in a browser. There are lots of stream plugins in the XBMC repo - you'll find more info on them on the XBMC wiki site and XBMC forums; typically there is a forum thread on each plugin where the plugin creator handles support and questions from users.

IPTV is where you have a cable or a digital TV broadcast receiver box re-broadcasting the TV signals over your home network to an XBMC client plugin, or a receiver card inside or attached to the HTPC that turns the HTPC into a 'PVR' box capable of recording and time-shifting brodcast and with plugins provide essential functions like the programm guide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porga

Re: IPTV and Internet streams in XBMC (openelec) 2 years 6 months ago #3

• porga
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So basically, I do not need to install PVR version for STREAMS?
I have some questions:
1. Are there any paid IPTV-s broadcasting over internet or this functionality is limited to cable/DVB-T/DVB-C?
2. Is there a way to add custom TV stream from web to Openelec/XBMC, for which there is no plugin available?
3. Are there any good tutorials about that?

Aw: IPTV and Internet streams in XBMC (openelec) 2 years 6 months ago #4

• Mettbrot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
About 2 and 3:

If you have a stream on the internet which is shown in a flash video player: most of those streams use adobes rmtp prtotocol which is supported by xbmc. So basicly, if you want those channels as a file in your OE box you will have to find out the correct parameters for the stream. The best solution i found:
Download Mediabox and install: www.hensence.com/en/mbox/
Run it (requires admin rights)
Run your browser with admin rights (right click 'run with admin rights')
go to your streaming site and watch stream,
now, mediabox will detect the stream, if it is rmtp you are lucky and can use it in xbmc...
open mediabox(double click in system tray) right click on corresponding stream > download with blader...
blader will open and display a context menu window with a textarea where the right options are displayed. Copy those and put everithing into a *.strm file
I discovered that flash version and tcUrl can be dismissed. YOu will have to try on your own.

Here is an example:
Blader shows:
url: rtmp://109.163.230.194/live/pro7
app: live
flashVer: WIN 10,3,183,7
pageUrl: http://www.youfreetv.net/index.php?section=channel&value=pro7
swfUrl: http://www.youfreetv.net/includes/player.php?id=1
tcUrl: rtmp://109.163.230.194/live
playPath: pro7

Line in *.strm file:
rtmp://109.163.230.194/live/pro7 app=live pageUrl=http://www.youfreetv.net/index.php?section=channel&value=pro7 swfUrl=http://www.youfreetv.net/includes/player.php?id=1 playpath=pro7

save your file in OE filesystem and play it just like you would with a video. But DONT try to use your up/down keys to switch 'programs'. You would have to use stop and select another file...
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Mettbrot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porga
  • Page:

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut