• Page:

TOPIC: Slow network initialisation

Slow network initialisation 2 years 3 months ago #1

• vbtrek
  • Fresh Boarder
I wonder if anyone could help me. I've just installed openelec beta 4 on my home theatre machine using the Fusion build (OpenELEC 2.0 (Beta 4) - 1.95.4 Fusion x86_64).

I have setup a mysql database which is running on my Windows Home Server 2011 and also a central cache of thumbnails also on the WHS box using advancedsettings.xml http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4159.

It appears that my openelec machine is not authenticating with my WHS machine correctly and thus failing to connect (this is just my speculation) even though I have specified username and password on all smb paths, and I have also made sure that the user exists on my WHS. So, I don't get access to the library after boot up. However, if I go into the music file list in XBMC and scan 1 of the folders there is a noticeable delay while XBMC connects then the scan runs fine and then all the main menus suddenly switch to being in library mode.

There are a number of errors showing in my 01_XBMC.log http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4160. Most of these error relate to not being able to connect to the WHS box.

The HTPC is only 1 year old so it's not a slow old PC, the home server is a HP MicroServer and the network is all running at 1GB so it's not an issue with the speed of my network.

If any of the other logs are needed I have the full openelec set available.

Previously, this worked fine with openelec 1 and Dharma with the addition of the following in the netmount.conf file:
cifs | //192.168.1.14/XBMC/thumbnails | /storage/Thumbnails | username=xbmc,pass=xbmc
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by vbtrek. Reason: Added notes about my h/w and network infrastructure
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Slow network initialisation 2 years 3 months ago #2

• lrusak
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 471
However, if I go into the music file list in XBMC and scan 1 of the folders there is a noticeable delay while XBMC connects then the scan runs fine and then all the main menus suddenly switch to being in library mode.

So after this you can access your media and play it fine?

if you think it's just loading in to fast for the network you can try creating an autostart.sh in your configfiles SMB share that has this
#!/bin/bash
sleep 10
and see if it works any better. (you'll have to chmod +x the script also)
<-- Hit me with some karma if I've helped you out :)

Re: Slow network initialisation 2 years 3 months ago #3

• vbtrek
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response Irusak, that didn't solve the issue for me. In fact it doesn't matter how long I leave openelec after it boots it never connects, it will only connect correctly when I access one of the shares on my WHS box.

I'm sorry to say I gave up on openelec on this PC (needed to get something working). I've now install XBMCbuntu and got it working, but it did give me an idea that might get openelec working. When you install XBMCbuntu you have to setup a user account, I also had to make sure that this account was created on the WHS.

So, does openelec have a username (and password) for the underlying operating system? Anybody know what it is...
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by vbtrek.

Re: Slow network initialisation 2 years 3 months ago #4

• lrusak
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 471
default username is root
default password is openelec

you can setup profiles if you want to.

I can't see this being an issue though as you can set a username and password when you setup your video sources in openelec.
<-- Hit me with some karma if I've helped you out :)
  • Page:

Our Sponsors & Partners

arctic_logo
at-visions   SolNet   ThePiHut