NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jarvis Kodi version out soon?

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #1

• martinjh99
  • Fresh Boarder
When will Openelec switch to using Jarvis?

New version of kodi is out now...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #2

• klojum
Yes, Kodi Jarvis is out. Fortunately for us, there is no policy that OpenELEC needs to release new builds within a certain time period after Kodi.

So when while OpenELEC Jarvis be out? At this time, it's impossible to put a date on that event. But development is still ongoing.

OpenELEC has its own 'road to success'. Keep in mind, Kodi is merely the application itself, where as OpenELEC includes an entire operating system underneath, which requires fiddling, fixing & adjusting so it can be as foolproof as possible. It also has to run on various different hardware solutions. Besides that, Team Kodi has its internal struggles, and so do we. So yes, we're behind in the schedule that we initially had in mind.

For now, patience is the best remedy.

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #3

• martinjh99
  • Fresh Boarder
Fair enough - Just wondered as a plugin I use isn't working properly and over at kodi forums the general idea is that running Jarvis would fix it.

Guess I'll have to wait then :)

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #4

• Grimson
martinjh99 wrote:
Guess I'll have to wait then :)

Or build it by yourself from the master git repository. wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #5

• PascalD
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Is the git already updated to the Kodi 16 stable version?

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #6

• martinjh99
  • Fresh Boarder
I may know my way round Linux but I think thats going a bit too far ;)

Need Rpi2 version so I'll wait thanks all the same!

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #7

• PascalD
  • Junior Boarder
PascalD wrote:

Nope... git is still 16.0 RC3... Compiled a new build today....

Re:Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #8

• stevellion
  • Fresh Boarder
We just need a little patience. I'm keen to get Jarvis, with a mixture of installs at home, all using a shared db, I will just wait until all flavours are ready before upgrading.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #9

• PascalD
  • Junior Boarder
PascalD wrote:
PascalD wrote:

Nope... git is still 16.0 RC3... Compiled a new build today....

Looks like the master git is Kodi 16.0 stable now... '/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0-devel/kodi-16.0-a5f3a99' yesterday it still said RC3.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by PascalD. Reason: Add pic

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #10

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8
Compiling is actually the easy part.. no programming skills required. Seriously. As long as you have a linux box to work on, even a usb stick with Ubuntu on it, all you need to do is install the build essentials.. ie: compiler stuffs, then all you have to do is type the command to actually compile the source. The hardest part of the compile... is waiting the 3 hours for it to compile. :P
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install git build-essential make libxml-parser-perl

git clone https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv.git
cd OpenELEC.tv
PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm make image

Your files will be in "target" folder. It seriously is that simple. You may need to change the source files "slightly", as I found the build would stop on certain packages, as the link it's trying to download from is either dead, or having server issues. Anything from videolan for instance..
ftp://ftp.videolan.org

Needs to be changed to...
http://ftp.videolan.org

Otherwise.. it'll stop on error, saying it can't connect. There was only 2 or 3 packages I needed to edit.. they'll be in the "packages" folder, and you'll know which files by which ones fail. When it fails, just look at the name of the package, then look for it in the packages folder.. edit the link in the package.mk file.. save it, then rerun the "PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm make image".. it'll run through everything it's already compiled, then pick up where it left off with your new edits. Once you have a successful compile... don't delete that packages folder.. back it up. Or.. remember which packages need to be fixed. That way next time, it'll run straight through without errors.

As for the other problem packages.. just google the package name.. you'll find a link pretty quick.

wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by greenbag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tobor, AlwinHummels, PascalD, Nemsis72, CoolWolf

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #11

• chewitt
If there are any non-working PKG_URL's it would be "good citizen" to report them via the GitHub development issue tracker. You get bonus credit if you submit the changes as a pull request (so we don't have to do anything apart from merge them).

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #12

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
I'll run it through again using a fresh source, then make a list of the problem packages.

Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 4 months ago #13

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
lol... now it ran through with no errors, without me changing anything. :P I guess the snags I hit were only temporary, or the sources fixed their links.

Oh well... if you run into issues, you'll know how to fix them.

btw... I mentioned about putting Ubuntu on a usb stick for compiling.. if one was to do this, they'll want to use an actual disk partition to do the actual compiling on.. ie: a fat32 or ntfs partition already in their system. Otherwise... it could take quite a long time to compile on the usb itself. :P

The best scenario, is to make a partition in your system dedicated to Ubuntu. I have a 80gb pata drive in my dual-boot system, specifically for Ubuntu. It's all it needs.

Actually THE best scenario, is to dump winblows altogether, and just install Ubuntu.. or LinuxMint. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nemsis72

Re:Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 3 months ago #14

• Nemsis72
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I dumped my entire Windows OS and installed Linux Mint 17.3... best move I've done. My computer runs much faster, and compiling from sources is much easier.. I compiled a couple of OpenElec builds with Kodi 16 for some friends and family members... A custom Kernel for my Linux OS.. So far they've been running great.... I just Compiled an openelec for the MX2 G-Box with Kodi 16 Jarvis for myself.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Nemsis72.

Re:Jarvis Kodi version out soon? 1 year 3 months ago #15

• greenbag
  • User is blocked
I love linux. Been using it since more than a decade now. I just installed Knoppix to a usb stick tonight, and it actually compiles pretty quickly.. I was surprised. It was only a wifi driver I compiled, but still. :P I was going to do a tutorial on setting it up for a portable compiler, but the stick's only 8gb... you need at least 11gb just for the OpenELEC build. I'll pick up a 32gb stick first.
  • Page: