NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it.

I understand

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: VPN Manager for OpenVPN

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 3 weeks 1 day ago #961

• Mepsipax
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Guys, I need help setting up userdefined as well.
I'm using NordVPN and starting openvpn via shell on a server works fine.

However, I do not get how to import .ovpn files.

I tried putting them into the userdefined folder with a subdirectory 'nordvpn' as specified in the docs. But I don't what to do next.
The Import wizard also doesn't help because no matter whether choose import via file or directory, it only lets me choose a remote directory. However I have all the .ovpn configuration files stored locally on the kodi device (raspberry pi). NordVPN's remote source for downloading the .ovpn files only provides a zip file which afaik doesn't work with the import wizard.

How am I supposed to proceed here?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 3 weeks 13 hours ago #962

• Arathonk
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi guys, especially Zomboided,
I have a RaspberryPi3 running OSMC running Kodi,
Installed OpenVpn and VPN Manager for OpenVPN months ago and it has always been working fine with my VPN provider,
Im using NordVPN and the last few days it isnt working anymore,
I got a notification saying something about server updates and a Wizard(I guess it was the user defined),
Since then ive been logged out of NordVPN and if I try to set it up again, NordVPN seems to have vanished from the list,
I contacted OpenVPN and they cant help and also NordVPN say they dont have a solution and that there have been some trouble with the makers of these plugins.

So whats up with all this and is there an solution?
Cause I really need it working again (like it did before), cause now im just unprotected.

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 3 weeks 11 hours ago #963

• Mepsipax
  • Fresh Boarder
It appears that the support for NordVPN has been dropped intentionally. Apparently, they're changing their servers frequently and every update requires VPN Manager to update as well.

Here's the commit: github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/commit/e54a7c8ab5dcca2a71d9721d71e213a65fa6db7d

So it seems we'll have to take care of this ourselves using the UserDefined option. But I don't know how to get this to work.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 11 hours ago by Mepsipax.

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 3 weeks 11 hours ago #964

• Arathonk
  • Fresh Boarder
I also have no idea how to do this..

And even if it works, will it work the same like before? When choosing servers?(I understand that you have to manually put the servers you want in a file or something)

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 2 weeks 4 days ago #965

• Mepsipax
  • Fresh Boarder
Alright, I got it to work with the following steps:

1. In VPN Manager go to Settings -> Utilities and select 'Reset all VPN provider files to default', then select 'Remove all downloaded VPN provider files'
2. Open a shell to your kodi, then download the server files from nordvpn from this source 'downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/servers/ovpn.zip' using 'wget'
3. Unzip the file: 'unzip ovpn.zip'
4. download the nordvpn App on any pc.
5. Use it to connect to a server.
6. Wait for it to resolve your new IP. Write that down or leave it open.
7. Back in your downloaded server files go into the folder ovpn_udp.
8. Find the config file containing that IP you found via the command "grep -rn . -e 'ip-address'"
9. you should only find one file beginning with a country code and a number. remember that.
10. inside the folder ovpn_tcp, there should also be a file with the same country code and number
11. copy both files to /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.vpn.manager/UserDefined/
(you may have to create the folder 'UserDefined')
12. go to vpn manager settings and VPN configuration.
13. Select 'User Defined' as VPN Provider
14. Enter your username and password. (I already had that entered from before)
15. Further down in section 'advanced settings', go to Protocol filter and select 'UDP and TCP'
16. Now go to VPN Connections and click the first entry. It should now prompt you for your password and connect to the server.

Let me know if this works for you.

VPN Manager for OpenVPN - VanishIP setup on Odroid 2 weeks 1 day ago #966

Tried to setup IPVanish on Odroid C1+ plus box. I get error that "The OpenVPN executable is not working." Also, how to I acess the log and which log is it?

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 1 week 6 days ago #967

Dear Zomboided,

Firstly thank you for giving this add-on to the community. The efforts of Developers like yourself are really appreciated.

I wonder if you or someone else here can help me solve a problem please.

I have installed your VPN Manager service on my box (running OpenElec and Kodi 15.2 Isengard), entering my PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN user name and password. But when I try to set up the first VPN connection I receive an error message stating that the OpenVPN executable isn't working.

I have checked your trouble shooting section, even trying the fix for Linux listed (SSH in), but get the message that sudo doesn't apply to my hardware.
I then type in 'OpenVPN' and got a long list of parameters, so this seems OK. I can also access VPN setup from the OpenElec settings menu.
Is VPN manager looking for OpenVPN in the wrong place?

I did note the line 'sudo apt-get install psmisc' in yout trouble shooting guide. What is psmisc? How do i check I have this installed (can't see anything in my addons) and install if necessary?

Also asked Google, with no luck. Please help!

Thank you
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by Teleportist.

VPN Manager for OpenVPN 5 days 9 hours ago #968

• Chocka
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm new to VPN and start with NordVPN, and finally got it worked:

Downloaded VPN manager installation file by using the following link: github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/archive/master.zip
Also, download required NordVPN server configuration files from here: downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/servers/ovpn.zip

In Kodi, I created a new folder OVPN in Downloads and created a link to the folder. On my PC, unzipped the ovpn.zip and copied an ovpn file to the folder in Kodi. And moved the master.zip to Kodi.

In Kodi, install from zip the master.zip

After installing VPN manager navigate to Add-Ons>Program add-ons and open VPN Manager.

Select Add-on Settings. In settings window select 'VPN configuration' tab, scroll down and click 'User Defined import wizard'.

Import wizard will give you an option between choosing specific server files or choosing the whole directory to import. If you have moved all configurations file(s) I would recommend choosing Directory option if you wish only to use several servers then select Files.

Regardless of the option that you've selected, you will have to navigate to the configuration file(s) location on your Kodi.

After importing configuration your VPN provider will be automatically set to User Defined. You will have to enter NordVPN credentials in Username and Password fields.

Then select 'VPN Connections' tab and start First VPN connection.
In order to disconnect or choose different server select 'Change or disconnect VPN connection' option in main VPN Manager window.