[Beta] OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 1 released

06 Mar 2014

The OpenELEC team is proud to announce its first Beta of OpenELEC 4.0.
Internally this will be known by the less-catchy name OpenELEC 3.95.1.

The team has made a huge effort to make this one of our best releases yet. Since the OpenELEC 3.0 and 3.2.x releases, we have worked hard to improve OpenELEC in a number of areas. Some of these are visible changes, others are backend changes that aren’t as visible to every user but are certainly worth mentioning.

Since OpenELEC 3.2 the underlying OS and the build system have been completely reworked. One aspect of the builds that isn’t visible to most users is the buildsystem; it is one of the most fundamental building blocks for OpenELEC. It provides us the flexibility to support many different build platforms, to be responsive in updating specific packages and to add new features easily.

Updated core Components (summary)

There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this beta release, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or XBMC.

Please report any issues you encounter to our issue tracker on github and/or forum. Please follow our guidelines for submitting issues outlined here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Supported Platform Changes

The number of builds supported has simplified. As of OpenELEC 4.0, images will be provided for AppleTV, Generic (i386 and x86_64) and Raspberry Pi’s.
We have also recently added support for Solid-Run Cubox-I devices to OpenELEC. However, this support is still under active development. Given the fact that this code base is not yet stable, we will not be providing an image for Cubox-i devices with OpenELEC-4.0. Hopefully this will change in the future as support for the platform matures.

New and dropped builds in OpenELEC 4.0

We will no longer be supplying specific builds for Arctic MC, Fusion, Intel and Ion devices – support for all of these devices has been rolled into the Generic builds. If you are using one of these builds, you will need to migrate to the Generic builds. If you need to migrate from an older unsupported build, please follow these instructions:

from Version Old System/Build Architecture to Version
OpenELEC =< 3.0 ION i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 ION x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Intel i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Intel x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Xtreamer Ultra 1/2 x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2  AMD Fusion x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Arctic_MC x86_64 Generic x86_64

For more information, please visit:

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 4.0 Beta1 Release

If you are going to update to one of our beta releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data. If you are using OpenELEC 3.2, you can use our OpenELEC Settings addon to backup your data and then reset it. If you are on an older build, you will need to do this manually:

mv /storage/.xbmc /storage/.xbmc-backup

You must manually update to this beta release. For more details, please visit http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC.

Help Support OpenELEC

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 3.95.1 on the downloads page

OpenELEC 3.95 is not recommended for production builds. Please use OpenELEC 3.2 instead.

Posted: 7 months 18 hours ago by DDD #102045
DDD's Avatar
You can also try Beta 3 ;)
openelec.tv/news/22-releases/116-beta-op...-4-0-beta-3-released
Mesa: fix crash on exit with amd + vdpau
Posted: 7 months 19 hours ago by dimangi #102040
dimangi's Avatar
Osmononame wrote:
Anyone having display issues with an A6-5400 apu? I remember having issues when the nightlies came out and reverted to stable 3.2.4. Seeing as the beta is out I thought I'd try it but same issue. Graphical corruption on top third of screen with the rest black. Would a reinstall rather than upgrade maybe resolve it?

I have tried a clean install to beta 1&2, and upgrade from frodo to beta 2. I don't even get to homescreen. Display goes gray, soon after the splash image. The build i tried was generic, I don't know if I should try OSS. I heard the community drivers are not even close to proprietary though.

I have FM2A75M-ITX, A6-5400K.

Edt:
Just tried OE Gotham Beta 3 from live USB, same symptoms. In case it's a common problem, here are my logs:
06_varlog.log
02_system.log
Posted: 7 months 1 day ago by dominic7il #101954
dominic7il's Avatar
Just taken the plunge into Beta 2 to get my SQL databases in line with Gotham. Wow I've got to say everything's working brilliantly it all runs so much smoother and even the crumpled splash screen issue has been resolved now.

Two thing's I've noticed:
  • Cron appears to be broken it's just not working even though the process is there and running. My crontab consists of this "1 * * * * sh /storage/.noip/noipupdater.sh" the script itself is fully executable and working when being executed manually. I've looked in the system logs and there's nothing related to cron beyond it starting up.
  • This is probably a Gotham thing rather than an OE thing but when entering passwords you used to be able to see the entered characters momentarily before they changed to asterix's, but now that's no longer the case. This makes it impossible to enter a password via the numeric pad on my remote - I have to go and plug a keyboard in.

Oh and also the mksquashfs addon is broken in this iteration of OE, it's a really useful tool to me. Any chance of someone updating it?
Posted: 7 months 2 days ago by Bergy16 #101933
Bergy16's Avatar
Have installed this on Apple TV 1G (silver edition). After doing some testing, I have found out that there isn't any sound on the right channel (HDMI output selected in system settings). I have tried to solve this without any luck. I have now reinstalled the non beta version, and the problem is solved. Hope this get solved :-)
Posted: 7 months 1 week ago by fatal #101093
fatal's Avatar
hugepants wrote:
fatal wrote:
Tried this, seems like I have to have both to get the correct black levels...removing (renaming) xorg.conf and only using xbmc still gave me crushed blacks...so I have to set xorg.conf to use limited as well as in the GUI to use 16..235 Range.

Thanks for checking and reporting back. It is unfortunate that xorg.conf is still needed.
It seems like the xorg setting operates at the driver/kernel level, and the XBMC setting operates at the application level.

Perhaps OpenELEC should provide GUI options for both or have them tied together in some way.

Just an update on this, Beta2 seems to have fixed it...removed xorg.conf and configured from XBMC gui by setting use 16...235 range and got the correct black levels.

Take Care
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by DDD #100778
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Novus #100760
Novus's Avatar
My Arctic with ATI Videocard crashes everytime when I start Live TV or an recorded MPEG2 File.

Is this an known issue?

_____

sorry wrong thread
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by tafkaz #100582
tafkaz's Avatar
HI,
tried again with the latest beta build. Now vdr-Livetv seems better, but it's not really stable yet.
I still have quite a lot of artifacts (not as many as with the last beta build i tried about a week ago though) watchin live sd-channles, HD-livetv-playback is still barely watchable.
I thought that maybe it could just be a tuning issue with my dvb-s, maybe i need to readjust the dish?
Only strange i don't have any issues with the stable release. What do you think?
Here#S the log while playing live content
pastebin.com/FrBSuxWu
Sascha

Edit:
Post edited and moved to TOPIC: [Beta] OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 2 released
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by mortalsin #100563
mortalsin's Avatar
hey guys,
I ve got one major isseu with the new beta release :

i cant get is shutdown by remote,it ony reboots

i allready changed the shutdown option in the setting,
but it wont change annything

anny aideas ?
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by hugepants #100561
hugepants's Avatar
fatal wrote:

Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by fatal #100543
fatal's Avatar
hugepants wrote:
queeup wrote:
fatal wrote:
So my question is does the video settings take precedence over what I have set in the xorg.conf?
Good point. I want to know that too. Do we need still xorg.conf for limited colors or just XBMC settings is enough.

My recommendation: delete or comment out the line in xorg.conf, reboot, and try to set the correct range using only the GUI. Use a suitable test pattern video/image to test it.

It's always best to have minimal modifications to xorg.conf, giving you easier access and flexibility to settings in the GUI itself.

Take Care
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by chewitt #100536
chewitt's Avatar
@MDummy: Almost correct. Backup 3.2.4, Reinstall 3.2.4 (as there is no direct 3.95.1 installer), then restore from Backup and update to 3.95.1.
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by MDummy #100526
MDummy's Avatar
@chewitt: Thanks for your answer. Do you mean that I should make the backup. Then I should install 3.95.x from scratch. Then I should restore the settings backup and afterwards I should again update to 3.95.x ? Am I right?

Thx, MDummy
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by crystalgipsy #100517
crystalgipsy's Avatar
crystalgipsy wrote:
Ok after some more testing I am getting Issues with DTS-MA audio. Is this supported in the OSS drivers for AMD cards? I know it was working in 3.2.4 under xvba/fglrx. I get no sound but my amp sees its getting the DTS-MA signal as it switches to it. Any ideas?

Ok solved this by turning of set reresh rate to same as source. Seems odd that I can only bitsream when at 60Hz, it worked at 24Hz on xvba in 3.2.5 and all other sources I have such as bluray just not in Gotham.
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by chewitt #100516
chewitt's Avatar
@MDummy: We switched new ATV installs from the older and less reliable two-stage boot process using KERNEL and SYSTEM to a better single-stage boot process that uses MACH_KERNEL and SYSTEM about 14 months ago. With Frodo builds we offered both options. With Gotham builds we dropped support for the older method, so to update to the beta you will need to backup your XBMC configuration using the backup option in the OE Settings addon and then reinstall (use the instructions on the wiki). Once you've reinstalled you can restore the backup using the OE Settings addon; then you can update to 3.95.x using MACH_KERNEL/SYSTEM, or just drop the entire .tar file in the update folder which is quicker. Apologies for the inconvenience, but you should be able to do backup/reinstall/restore in 15 mins as long as you have a decent internet connection.
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by MDummy #100512
MDummy's Avatar

I tried to update my atv to current beta. atv is running 3.24. when I unzip the tar file there is no kernel and kernel.md5 inside the "target" folder, but only mach_kernel and mach_kernel.md5. when I copy the files to the update folder of my atv and restart the atv afterwards nothing happens. I restarted about 5-10 times now.

Do I make anything wrong?

Thanks, MDummy
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by xAyiDe #100509
xAyiDe's Avatar
I have the nc dn2820fykh which displays banding issues. If i set the colorspace to 16-235 in thr gotham settings it displays black as black but it stills looks. Bit odd since i see banding which i do nit on atom ion. Is this known issues?

Any solutions for it using maybe xorg.conf?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by sentania #100506
sentania's Avatar
OK - I guess I'll go break one of my physical ones then tonight and report the same issue again.

I reported this, as I used the same build options (project defaults) for 3.2.4 for Virtual, Fusion, and Intel without any issues.

I attempt my first 3.95.1 build, and it fails - which leads me to the assumption (possibly wrong) - that something is broke on a larger level.

I'll push 3.95.1 to one of my physical systems and report back.
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by seo #100503
seo's Avatar
sentania wrote:
Could be an unpleasant surprise for folks, but it appears that iSCSI support is disabled by default, which is a change from previous releases.

Project: Virtual
Build: devel-20140312211400-r17910

hey, please do not report any issues with virtual builds!
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by sentania #100498
sentania's Avatar

Project: Virtual
Build: devel-20140312211400-r17910
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by xbs #100496
xbs's Avatar
Just got a Bay Trail NUC kit DN2820FYKH :) running OE 20140313 nightly and here's the issues found:
1. System suspends fine but it doesn't reconnect and I have to reboot to get the wired connection back.
2. Also noticed some major slowdowns and realized that this is due to very high fps reported in system info.
Refresh rate set to always ON in settings.

Other than that everything seems to work fine.

Thanks!
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by SainThomas #100483
SainThomas's Avatar

I'm running beta 1 X64 generic on a zotac nd22 (nvidia ion, intel cpu)

Everything works fine but i had to make some modifications before.
I had an issue with hdmi handshake and format autodetect.
This lead me to osd not completly showing and overscanning issues.
After a little tests with system and video options, i went to the conclusion 23,96 and 23,97 fps video sources was handled differently, forcing 23,97 solved my issues when using the sync A/V option witch i never used before.
Then i remembered using a custom xorg.conf with nvidia default file found in the wiki.
This file helped me switch from limited rgb to full range but also had infos about supported resolutions and handshake.

deleting ( or renaming) this file solved everything.
I just had to run paterns to adjust contrast and britness again.

So for all of you using custom xorg, i sugest to remove it and see if it helps (you must of course reboot openelec)
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by pengrus #100471
pengrus's Avatar
So I have discovered that OpenELEC has moved to systemd, which is awesome, but in doing so, has opted for using systemd-journald exclusively for system logging. Unfortunately, I need to forward my logs to a centralized syslog server to diagnose some crashing and instabilty issues with my NUC, and I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to get rsyslogd or syslog-ng or some other utility capable of forwarding logs onto this great system. I have looked into compiling on the box, but can't quite get my head around that. Maybe an addon?

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

P
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by crystalgipsy #100465
crystalgipsy's Avatar
Posted: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Another Mike #100462
Another Mike's Avatar
I have 4.0 Beta 1 running on a test machine and so far almost everything looks very good, after I discovered the "expert" level for settings. the Guide Button on my MCE remote doesn't bring up the EPG as I expected and I'm having difficulty finding the proper files to examine/modify. Are IR remotes handled inside the kernel now?

mike