[Beta] OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 5 released

08 Apr 2014

The OpenELEC team is proud to announce its 5th Beta of OpenELEC 4.0.
Internally this will be known by the less-catchy name OpenELEC 3.95.5.

This release includes some bugfixes and improvements since 3.95.4 (beta4). Besides the usual bugfixes and package updates we updated XBMC with the last fixes (its shown as XBMC 13 beta4, but its not the final beta 4 of XBMC 13!), fixed issues with Youtube- and other streams, AMD Audio/Video issues introduced with the kernel 3.14 update and some more suspend/wakeup fixes.

The team has made a huge effort to make this one of our best releases yet. Since the OpenELEC 3.0 and 3.2.x releases, we have worked hard to improve OpenELEC in a number of areas. Some of these are visible changes, others are backend changes that aren’t as visible to every user but are certainly worth mentioning.

The OpenELEC 3.95 release series are test releases (beta) for OpenELEC-4.0.
OpenELEC-4.0 will be the next stable release, which is a feature release and the successor of OpenELEC-3.2.

You should only upgrade from OpenELEC-3.2 to OpenELEC 3.95.5 for testing purposes. If you are going to update to one of our beta releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data.

Since OpenELEC 3.2 the underlying OS and the build system have been completely reworked. One aspect of the builds that isn’t visible to most users is the buildsystem; it is one of the most fundamental building blocks for OpenELEC. It provides us the flexibility to support many different build platforms, to be responsive in updating specific packages and to add new features easily.

Updated and changed Components since OpenELEC-3.95.4 (summary)

• update to bcm2835-bootloader-3ade415
  • update to bcm2835-driver-3ade415
  • update to openssl-1.0.1g
  • update to kmod-17
  • update to pcre-8.35
  • update to make-4.0
  • update to simplejson-3.4.0
  • update to sqlite-autoconf-3080403
  • update to xbmc-13-ca6c289
  • update to curl-7.36.0
  • update to gmp-6.0.0a
  • update to libass-0.11.1
  • linux: pm: disable async suspend/resume by default
  • linux: add patch to fix audio on AMD APUs, thanks to 'Anssi' and 'anykey_'
  • linux: Take care that post and ref divider don't grow too large
  • eventlircd: Add Igorplug USB support, this fixes #2716
  • projects/RPi/options: add RTL8723AU driver support
  • gcc: add patch to workaround aginst bug GCC-49423
  • busybox: add applet 'pgrep'

For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:

There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this beta release, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or XBMC.

Please report any issues you encounter to our issue tracker on github and/or forum. Please follow our guidelines for submitting issues outlined here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Supported Platform Changes

The number of builds supported has simplified. As of OpenELEC 4.0, images will be provided for AppleTV, Generic (i386 and x86_64) and Raspberry Pi’s.
We have also recently added support for Solid-Run Cubox-I devices to OpenELEC. However, this support is still under active development. Given the fact that this code base is not yet stable, we will not be providing an image for Cubox-i devices with OpenELEC-4.0. Hopefully this will change in the future as support for the platform matures.

New and dropped builds in OpenELEC 4.0

We will no longer be supplying specific builds for Arctic MC, Fusion, Intel and Ion devices – support for all of these devices has been rolled into the Generic builds. If you are using one of these builds, you will need to migrate to the Generic builds. If you need to migrate from an older unsupported build, please follow these instructions:

from Version Old System/Build Architecture to Version
OpenELEC =< 3.0 ION i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 ION x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Intel i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Intel x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Xtreamer Ultra 1/2 x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2  AMD Fusion x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Arctic_MC x86_64 Generic x86_64

For more information, please visit:

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 4.0 Beta5 Release

If you are going to update to one of our beta releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data. If you are using OpenELEC 3.2, you can use our OpenELEC Settings addon to backup your data and then reset it. If you are on an older build, you will need to do this manually:

mv /storage/.xbmc /storage/.xbmc-backup

You must manually update to this beta release. For more details, please visit http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC.

Help Support OpenELEC

If you have any questions about OpenELEC, sponsoring the project, or think you might be able to offer another service that will be useful to us, then please drop me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . There is always someone that is able to answer your questions in the #openelec irc on freenode.

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 3.95.5 on the downloads page

OpenELEC 3.95.x is not recommended for production builds. Please use OpenELEC 3.2 instead.

Posted: 3 months 5 hours ago by yahaira #104266
yahaira's Avatar
Was the Realtek driver chnaged from BETA2 to BETA3?
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by SPo #103744
SPo's Avatar
popcornmix wrote:
SPo wrote:

since Beta 3.95.2 i've got a problem on my raspberry with audio over hdmi and a panasonic receiver. It worked quiet well in 3.95.1.

After startup you can hear a whirring. After playing a music file or tv livestream or a movie, the sound works ok. After playbadk stops, the whirring returns.

Can you try copying the firmware (start.elf and fixup.dat) from the latest image to the 3.95.1 image, and confirm if that still works?
That may identify if it's a firmware issue, or xbmc issue.

Thx for the tip - i didn`t copy the newest start.elf and fixup.dat while upgrading from 3.95.1 to newer beta releases. Copying all new files helped :whistle:
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by DDD #103629
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by murzik #103584
murzik's Avatar
Since OpenELEC 4 cannot get irtrans LCD and remote to work.
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by bryceb #103512
bryceb's Avatar
Hi All,

First time poster.

I have the DN2820FYKH NUC with 4G RAM and 128G ssd, running Openelec Gotham Beta. Up to and including Beta3, this has been a great build, and very fast, however since Beta 4, I have been experiencing consistent system lockups when using Openelec.
The general experience has been within around 3-4 mins (typically, but not always), of a startup, the system will no longer respond to network or input, (Display still working). When the lockup occurs, the box needs to be forced down, and rebooted.

Note if it helps, typically I would be sending input commands via IR remote or bluetooth keyboard when the lockups occur, although in the latest lockup, it occured while watching live TV.

I have attached logs (captured after a lockup, and restart), hopefully someone can give some indication of what might be going on?
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by MDummy #103406
MDummy's Avatar

I'm running an ATV with 3.95.5 currently.
I have the following problem:
It takes up to 1-3 minutes until playback of HD content streamed from a Windows PC starts.
With version 3.2.4 it also was slower than before 3.2.4, but now it's extremly sluggish. Additionaly jerks while playback occour. I've a CrystalHD card and it's activated - according to settings.

I've the same problem with all other beta's.

Are there any other ATV users that have similar problems?

Thanks, MDummy
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by PKOneTwo #103405
PKOneTwo's Avatar
Hi folks,

before starting a big duscussion or posting non sense logs, just a quick poll in the round:
does someone lese have the problem with one core (Celeron 1037U = Dual Core) almost all the time @ 100%?
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by petek #103288
petek's Avatar

Great job guys !
I run this on an apple tv1, but unfortunately i have only 1 channel (left) sound. Any known bug ?

cheers
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by forkless #103280
forkless's Avatar
First of all, great job on the Gotham build! Have been looking forward to if for quite some time now.

I noticed that I have a problem with the wireless range on 3.95.5 compared to 3.2.4 (It's a multi boot laptop, including Ubuntu 13.04) 3.2.4 and Ubuntu can connect to the AP fine. However the driver in 3.95.5 seems to refuse. When I get close enough to the AP it will connect fine. (so no apparent WPA passphrase failures)

lspci giving me the following output for the WiFi interface
04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Running on the Intel 64 bit build (on an Acer Aspire 6530)
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Sym #103262
Sym's Avatar
When I try to view a YouTube trailer on my RPi with the latest beta and nightly build, the system restarts.

I've also noticed that ever since curl was updated, the subtitle searches started to take longer. Although, completely starting over the setup by removing the "/Storage/.xbmc/" directory might also help speed up the subtitle searches also. The problem is that there could also be other connectivity factors involved thus making it slow as well.
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by johnnyslogan #103253
johnnyslogan's Avatar
Hola. Great program, but now Subtitle service takes like a thousand Years to search subs, and another thousand to download sub. No matter where from. Maybe just my , system, but didn't use to be like that
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by popcornmix #103236
popcornmix's Avatar
SPo wrote:

That may identify if it's a firmware issue, or xbmc issue.
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Hollol #103234
Hollol's Avatar
sraue wrote:
Hollol wrote:
Hollol wrote:
Hello sraue,

here are the logfiles ...
[File Attachment: log-2014-04-10-08.49.04.zip]

It seems, that the drivers were loaded, but the interface is not activated. When I try to activate wireless network in the OpenElec settings, the wireless check box becomes activated first, but after some seconds it is deactivated again.

I hope this helps ...

Did this logfiles help to find the reason for my not working wlan adapter or do I have to post other logs?
please test with this:
snapshots.openelec.tv/test/OpenELEC-RPi....-r18151-g2295d9f.tar

and provide the logfiles

Thanky sraue, this fixed the problem :-) Hope it will be working with the next beta release too. And here are the logfiles of the working system. Only for my interest: what was the problem?
[File Attachment: log-2014-04-14-12.15.49.zip]
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by slekkas #103232
slekkas's Avatar
Since I've updated to beta 5 both my E-350 media players are missing the suspend option. Is this going to be fixed?
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by stourwalk #103228
stourwalk's Avatar

I've also got this on my RPi too - 3.95.5 was the first beta I'd tried.

Separately whilst I can add sources, and use File Mode to move around the directories, as soon as I try to play something or Scan to Library, then the RPi just hangs and refuses to do anything (using SAMBA to a Unraid 5.x server if that's relavant)
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by karel1 #103213
karel1's Avatar
popcornmix wrote:
karel1 wrote:
On a RPI with activated Airplay: when the AirPlay server is stopped, a running video playback stops and the main menu is shown. When the video is resumed, playback stops again when the AirPlay server is switched on. This happens consistently. Sometimes playback stops and RPi reboots.
The log file needs to have debug enabled in settings.
Can you check if this behaviour also occurs on another xbmc platform (e.g. windows running gotham beta).

I am sorry, can not check on another platform. But I have a better (I hope) log file
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Emriq #103187
Emriq's Avatar
Sraue, Any fix for the issue i related in post #45?

Thanks!
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Curly060 #103185
Curly060's Avatar
sraue wrote:
add please "r8169.debug=1" (without quotes) to /flash/extlinux.conf and paste the logs again after a reboot

I guess you mean, that I should add it to the kernel command line? Just to be clear, my extlinux.conf looks like this now:
DEFAULT linux
PROMPT 0

LABEL linux
 KERNEL /KERNEL
 APPEND boot=LABEL=System disk=LABEL=Storage  ssh quiet r8169.debug=1

With the above kernel parameter, here are the logfiles:
- dmesg: sprunge.us/YiJb
- journal: sprunge.us/VHGV

Do you see any significant difference in the logs?

Cheers, Curly060 =;->
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by SPo #103184
SPo's Avatar

It may be he default paplayer, because if i play mp3 it is also distorted. After chosing omx as default at least the playback works - but only until the end of that playback. In the gap between those music files the whirring retuens. Any ideas what happened ?
I guess the audio Format handshake may be faulty....
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Frogtime #103182
Frogtime's Avatar
since I updated from 3.95.3 to 3.95.4/5 (I tried both) I can't reboot my RPi.
Are there any solutions known yet?

I attached my Log file.
[File Attachment: log.zip]

Cheers
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by dimangi #103165
dimangi's Avatar
sakos wrote:
The result is the same as it was before. I have a strange striped screen with moving mouse cursor but nothing else.
Any hint?
[/attachment]

I've tried clean install of all of the five betas, all give exactly the same result. 3.2.4 works fine. So you're not the only one. From what I've seen, It isn't your methods which are failing.

I filed an issue in git now, since I'm not the only one having troubles. github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/3096
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by sraue #103148
Hollol wrote:
Hollol wrote:
Hello sraue,

here are the logfiles ...
[File Attachment: log-2014-04-10-08.49.04.zip]

I hope this helps ...

please test with this:
snapshots.openelec.tv/test/OpenELEC-RPi....-r18151-g2295d9f.tar

and provide the logfiles
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Hollol #103145
Hollol's Avatar
Hollol wrote:
Hello sraue,

here are the logfiles ...
[File Attachment: log-2014-04-10-08.49.04.zip]

I hope this helps ...

Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by sakos #103139
sakos's Avatar

I did the followings:
- perform a soft reset on 3.2.4. Everything went back to factory default settings
- copied the content of target folder of OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-3.95.5.tar file to Update folder.
- reboot the system.

Any hint?

[File Attachment: log-2014-04-13-11.24.41.zip]

[File Attachment: IMG_20140413_1323431241.jpg]
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by popcornmix #103135
popcornmix's Avatar
karel1 wrote:

When the AirPlay service is not activated, this behaviour does not happen, i.e. video playback is uninterrupted.
[File Attachment: log-2014-04-12-17.21.16.zip]

The log file needs to have debug enabled in settings.