OpenELEC 4.0.3 released

28 May 2014

The OpenELEC team is proud to announce OpenELEC 4.0.3.

This release includes some bugfixes, security fixes and improvements since OpenELEC-4.0.2 . Besides the usual bugfixes and package updates we updated XBMC with the last fixes to XBMC 13.1 RC1 which contains a lot of fixes for issues found after the XBMC-13.0 release (some of them we already shipped with OpenELEC-4.0.0).
We fixed some (but not all) suspend/wakeup issues, esp. if you run hardware with Intel e1000e Network chips, improved our soundconfig module to autodetect all installed and supported sounddevices and configure them (instead configuring only the first and second sound devices).
We also added support for the XBOX-One Remote.

OpenELEC-4.0.3 is now the next stable release, which is a bugfix and securityfix release of the OpenELEC-4.0 series.

Bitcoin Adress:

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 4.0 Release

If you are going to update from one of our older releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data and manual update . There was reports regarding new database versions, settings, addons and addon repos, which can cause issues if you are using updating from OpenELEC 3.2 or older. You can use our OpenELEC Settings addon if you are using OpenELEC-3.2 to backup your data and then reset it. If you are on an older build, you will need to do this manually:

mv /storage/.xbmc /storage/.xbmc-backup

For more details, please visit http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC.

Updated and changed Components since OpenELEC-4.0.2 (summary)

• update to xf86-video-nvidia-331.79
  • update to wlan-firmware-0.0.21
  • update to xbmc-13-4410736 (XBMC 13.1 RC1)
  • update to wireless-regdb-2014.05.19
  • update to bcm2835-driver-b163259
  • update to bcm2835-bootloader-b163259
  • update to service.openelec.settings-0.3.17
  • update to Mesa-10.1.4
  • xbmc: update RPi support patch
  • ethtool: add support to disable WOL for broken drivers, add 'e1000e' as broken driver
  • projects/*/linux: disable CONFIG_MOVABLE_NODE
  • projects/*/linux: disable CONFIG_AMD_NUMA
  • projects/*/linux: enable CONFIG_STRIP_ASM_SYMS
  • projects/*/linux: disable CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY
  • e2fsprogs: remove unneeded applets from image
  • alsa-utils: improve soundconfig to handle more then 2(1) cards
  • v4l-utils: add default mapping for XBOX-One remote support
  • Revert "xbmc: wait on udev-trigger service"
  • busybox: enable locale support
  • busybox: make unicode characters printable
  • installer: careful when trying to handle emmc devices

For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:

There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this releases, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or XBMC.

Please report any issues you encounter to our issue tracker on github and/or forum. Please follow our guidelines for submitting issues outlined here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Supported Platform Changes

The number of builds supported has simplified. As of OpenELEC 4.0, images will be provided for AppleTV, Generic (i386 and x86_64) and Raspberry Pi’s.
We have also recently added support for Solid-Run Cubox-I devices to OpenELEC. However, this support is still under active development. Given the fact that this code base is not yet stable, we will not be providing an image for Cubox-i devices with OpenELEC-4.0. Hopefully this will change in the future as support for the platform matures.

New and dropped builds in OpenELEC 4.0

We will no longer be supplying specific builds for Arctic MC, Fusion, Intel and Ion devices – support for all of these devices has been rolled into the Generic builds. If you are using one of these builds, you will need to migrate to the Generic builds. If you need to migrate from an older unsupported build, please follow these instructions:

from Version Old System/Build Architecture to Version
OpenELEC =< 3.0 ION i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 ION x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Intel i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Intel x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Xtreamer Ultra 1/2 x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2  AMD Fusion x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Arctic_MC x86_64 Generic x86_64

For more information, please visit:

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 4.0.3 on the downloads page

Posted: 5 months 2 weeks ago by DDD #109752
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by TotalReality #109484
TotalReality's Avatar
TotalReality wrote:
Even when I disable VDPAU, XBMC still crashes/freezes when I stop playing videos.
My motherboard is MSI Z87I, and processor is Intel i5-4570S. So, it could be Intel Z87 chipset with Intel Linux drivers.
Details of my reported problem is here
I will try to install XBMCbuntu on a USB and I will check if I also have the same issue on XBMCbuntu.

XBMC on windows "on the same PC" is working perfectly.

I tried XbmcUbuntu and it is working fine.
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by jjslegacy #109414
jjslegacy's Avatar
Was just wondering why my WOL stopped working after going to 4.0.3. Not working on ASUS Chromebook
thanks
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by WaVe_99 #109403
WaVe_99's Avatar
Thx jamesw4, it helps and it works again :-)
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by allanf #109311
allanf's Avatar
jst01 wrote:
Folks,

In case no one has mentioned it, this release has broken WOL support for the Intel Haswell NUC boxes. By coincidence, Intel just released a fix to the BIOS as well to ensure that WOL works correctly as does shutdown.

Is there a config setting we can change to re-enable WOL support?

Cheers,
Jamie

Same issue here on my revo RL80 - WOL no longer works.
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by jamesw4 #109288
jamesw4's Avatar
Same issue on my 847 celeron nuc regarding WOL. Running "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" turns WOL back on, I have added this to autostart.sh.
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by invisable #109286
invisable's Avatar
sraue wrote:

please test this build:

snapshots.openelec.tv/test/OpenELEC-RPi....-r18405-ga7094bf.tar

thanks

Stephan

I''ve been testing this version for a few days now and so far I have had no issues to report so far it plays all the files in my libary. Thanks !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by gaki #109263
gaki's Avatar

Can someone tell me why i can't find the item below in OE 4.0.3 or even in the latest nightly build ?
It was merged on xbmc master branch on May 17th.

It's an important subtitles feature we lost with Gotham and it would be nice to have it back in OE asap :)

Thank you !
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by jst01 #109206
jst01's Avatar
Folks,

Is there a config setting we can change to re-enable WOL support?

Cheers,
Jamie
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Jabadakkas #109168
Jabadakkas's Avatar
Hi all,

I'm experiencing lockups / crashes with this release on my raspberry pi. I tested with both CIFS and NFS as a network source.
The crashes occur when using mkv files on a clean OpenElec install with just the trakt.tv addon enabled.

Any thoughts on how to fix or troubleshoot this issue?
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by SavellM #109153
SavellM's Avatar
TotalReality wrote:
Details of my reported problem is here

XBMC on windows "on the same PC" is working perfectly.

I'm having the exact same issue.
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by BrokenKnee #109016
BrokenKnee's Avatar
@sraue Tested your build and it worked for me...

But then again, your build included the latest firmware (start.elf / fixup.dat) that popcornmix mentioned/linked to above, which solved the problem even with the official 4.0.3 build - at least for me.

Not sure, if there are changes in the build beside the updated start.elf/fixup.dat that resolved the issue, but I took your build and replaced start.elf and fixup.dat with the ones from the official 4.0.3 release and the problem reappeared.
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by theoneofgod #108994
theoneofgod's Avatar
sraue wrote:
popcornmix wrote:
BrokenKnee wrote:
The Problem did occur on a fresh installation on a RPi connteced to a 4:3 monitor (1600x1200px) with no screen calibration, default skin, default skin zoom set (1.0).

Thanks. My TV doesn't report 1600x1200 support, but I forced it in config.txt and I get a black screen playing Big Buck Bunny.
I'll investigate...

Should be fixed with latest firmware.

at All with the problem from above

please test this build:

snapshots.openelec.tv/test/OpenELEC-RPi....-r18405-ga7094bf.tar

please update your OpenELEC4.0.x (3.95.x) installations manually like explained here:
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_Open...ly_Updating_OpenELEC
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_Open...pdating_OpenELEC_4.0

<strong><em>please report back if this fixes your issues. Without any reports and testing this builds (or the ones popcornmix provides) we cant solve the problems and the next stable will still contain any issues.</em></strong>

thanks

Stephan

Tested snapshot here 1920x1200 same issue as with 4.0.3

openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/71350...-1080p-movies#108993
Posted: 5 months 3 weeks ago by sraue #108979
popcornmix wrote:
BrokenKnee wrote:

I'll investigate...

Should be fixed with latest firmware.

at All with the problem from above

please test this build:

snapshots.openelec.tv/test/OpenELEC-RPi....-r18405-ga7094bf.tar

wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_Open...ly_Updating_OpenELEC
wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_Open...pdating_OpenELEC_4.0

thanks

Stephan
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by popcornmix #108948
popcornmix's Avatar
BrokenKnee wrote:

I'll investigate...

Should be fixed with latest firmware.
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by BrokenKnee #108942
BrokenKnee's Avatar
popcornmix wrote:
I've not been able to reproduce this so far.
Can you descibe the video file resolution (and aspect ratio if non-square pixels), the display resolution (and aspect ratio if non-square pixels) and the zoom mode in xbmc that causes the problem (a debug enabled xbmc.log when playing a file would also do).
Also do you non-default calibration or skin zoom set?

As stated on GitHub, the problem was solved by your above supplied firmware. Thanks for that!

While the screen was black with audio playing, the playing controls were visible, once activated. As said before, when zooming out to 0.92, the picture became visible.
Hope the following table of both working and nonworking video files helps...
Workingyesyesyesyesyesyesyesnonononono
FormatAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVCAVC
Format/InfoAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video CodecAdvanced Video Codec
Format profileHigh-L4.1High-L4.1High-L4.1High-L5.1High-L4.1High-L4.1High-L4.1High-L4.1High-L4.1High-L4.1High-L5.1High-L4.1
Format settings, CABACYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Format settings, ReFrames5 frames8 frames5 frames8 frames5 frames5 frames12 frames4 frames5 frames5 frames5 frames5 frames
Codec IDV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration1h 47mn1h 31mn1h 38mn2h 5mn1h 36mn1h 36mn1h 34mn1h 19mn1h 33mn2h 20mn1h 56mn1h 47mn
Bit rate4 328 Kbps4 520 Kbps4 480 Kbps4 355 Kbps3 420 Kbps3 420 Kbps4 500 Kbps2 845 Kbps2 964 Kbps3 780 Kbps6 540 Kbps3 824 Kbps
Width1 280 pixels1 280 pixels1 280 pixels1 280 pixels1 280 pixels1 280 pixels1 280 pixels1 920 pixels1 920 pixels1 920 pixels1 920 pixels1 920 pixels
Height544 pixels720 pixels720 pixels688 pixels720 pixels720 pixels536 pixels1 040 pixels816 pixels800 pixels800 pixels800 pixels
Display aspect ratio2.35:116:916:91.85:116:916:92.40:11.85:12.35:12.40:12.40:12.40:1
Frame rate modeConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstantConstant
Frame rate24.000 fps23.976 fps25.000 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps23.976 fps
Color spaceYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUVYUV
Chroma subsampling4:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:04:2:0
Bit depth8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits8 bits
Scan typeProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressiveProgressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)0,2590,2050,1940,2060,1550,1550,2740,0590,0790,1030,1780,104
Stream size3.16 GiB (72%)2.81 GiB (68%)3.07 GiB (90%)3.72 GiB (85%)2.22 GiB (51%)2.22 GiB (51%)2.89 GiB (79%)1.58 GiB (54%)1.93 GiB (49%)3.70 GiB (73%)5.20 GiB (79%)2.86 GiB (55%)
Writing libraryx264 core 114 r1913 5fd3dcex264 core 102 r1666 d058f37x264 core 140 r2377 1ca7bb9x264 core 57 svn-709Cx264 core 67 r1145M d2e1e1cx264 core 67 r1145M d2e1e1cx264 core 128 r2216+688+33 06dac27 tMod+MixAQ [8-bit@4:2:0 X86_64]x264 core 94 r1570 d9db8b3x264 core 100 r1659 57b2e56x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6x264 core 59 r808M ff5059ax264 core 119 r2106 07efeb4
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by kobrawerde #108919
kobrawerde's Avatar
The other problem what I've got is that when I stop playing videos XBMS crashes.
I have a similar problem (OE 4.0.3)
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by greeny7 #108903
greeny7's Avatar

I'm experiencing the same things. Using 4.0.3., and the XBMC shows the GUI, but sometimes it doesnt react (tv remote, keyboar) Is this can be an USB3 issue? (I've got an adapter to use anynet on my tv, the adapter is attached in a USB3 port)

Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by Bouten #108882
Bouten's Avatar
I've installed the 4.0.3 version today and watched tv for several hours via the "cmyth" plugin on a raspberry pi (type "B"), standard cpu speed. When watching HD I've noticed several times that the screen turned black and the image reappeared again within 1 second. This happened at irregular intervals. When I switched back to the 4.0.2. release this stopped happening. I'm using a Medion MD20888 display via HDMI.
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by ZeroCruel #108880
ZeroCruel's Avatar

you can ignore my question i had downgraded to the Generic 3.95.7 Version and update to the newest and all is ok now.

cu, ZeroCruel
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by popcornmix #108838
popcornmix's Avatar
BrokenKnee wrote:
Further inspecting many, many working and nonworking video files, it seems that files above a certain width/height stay black until zoomed out.
Files with 360p, 480p, 720p play fine without adjustment. Files with 1080p stay black until zoomed out.

I've not been able to reproduce this so far.

Also do you non-default calibration or skin zoom set?
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by ZeroCruel #108827
ZeroCruel's Avatar
Hello all together,

after I have updated to the 4.0.3 Version my system is total broken and I dont know what to do.

The problem is that xbmc shows the GUI but it doesnt react on any input from me (tv card remote, keyboard, mouse) but as if by an invisible hand the GUI switch randomly from time to and some wite areas apears and the letters looks strange, like when the get telescoped, similar to barcodes but you see that it should be letters.

So i switchted back to the 4.0.1 Version beacause I get a checksum error with the 4.0.2 Version from achive, but the problem still appears.

After this i renamed my userdata folder with putty (this still works), so that xbmc start as a standard Version but it doesnt helped even than this happens.

The only think I found out that there are a lot of processes with the name migration/# and koworker/#:# and a migration process sometimes takes something arround 10% of the cpu for a short period.

With this i found this topic with a similar problem: openelec.tv/forum/110-update-openelec/67...2-2-killed-my-system but without a solution, and with other linux distributions some people have similar problem.

Can someone helps me ?

Thanks a lot.
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by popcornmix #108821
popcornmix's Avatar
BrokenKnee wrote:

I think this may be caused by a firmware update that picked up a bug fix for dispmanx. Can you download these files:
github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/raw/74c1d...c9f21944/start_x.elf
github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/raw/74c1d...c9f21944/fixup_x.dat

and replace start.elf and fixup.dat from the FAT partition or sdcard.
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by TotalReality #108814
TotalReality's Avatar
Details of my reported problem is here

XBMC on windows "on the same PC" is working perfectly.
Posted: 5 months 4 weeks ago by BrokenKnee #108811
BrokenKnee's Avatar
mastawilli wrote:
Switching toi 4:3 output shows picture, all the other aspect modes don't.
Testing with my RPi on an 4:3 screen, this obviously didn't do the trick for me, but zooming out below 0.92 instantly gives me a working picture every time, with any video file.

Seeing that for mastawili, the change of aspect mode worked, while for me it was zooming out, this problem might be isolated to screens with certain aspect ratios (mine is 4:3).

Pitmans advice with inactivating deinterlace does not work for me.
Neither did it work with me.