OpenELEC 4.0.7 released

09 Jul 2014

The OpenELEC team is proud to announce OpenELEC 4.0.7.

This release includes some bugfixes, security fixes and improvements since OpenELEC-4.0.6 . Besides the usual bugfixes and package updates we fixed some security issues found the last days/weeks, fixed the issue with low volume on some systems after the alsa update in 4.0.6, updated Kernel to 3.14.11 and updated the RaspberryPi firmware to include the last fixes and features.

OpenELEC-4.0.7 is now the next stable release, which is a bugfix and securityfix release of the OpenELEC-4.0 series.

Bitcoin Adress:

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 4.0 Release

If you are going to update from one of our older releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data and manual update . There was reports regarding new database versions, settings, addons and addon repos, which can cause issues if you are using updating from OpenELEC 3.2 or older. You can use our OpenELEC Settings addon if you are using OpenELEC-3.2 to backup your data and then reset it. If you are on an older build, you will need to do this manually:

mv /storage/.xbmc /storage/.xbmc-backup

For more details, please visit http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC.

Updated and changed Components since OpenELEC-4.0.6 (summary)

• update to linux-3.14.11
  • update to libva-intel-driver-1.3.2
  • update to simplejson-3.5.3
  • update to xf86-video-ati-7.4.0
  • update to xorg-server-1.15.2
  • update to lzo-2.08
  • update to libbluray-0.6.0
  • projects/RPi/patches/xbmc: update RPi support patch
  • add package 'libevdev'
  • busybox: add upstream patches
  • propects/Generic/options: lcdproc: enable serialVFD
  • alsa-utils: dont install default ALSA restore rule, to avoid overwriting our own mixer settings with default values. rename our udev rule to start after other default sound config rules. this should fix #3350, this should fix #3346

For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:

There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this releases, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or XBMC.

Please report any issues you encounter to our issue tracker on github and/or forum. Please follow our guidelines for submitting issues outlined here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Supported Platform Changes

The number of builds supported has simplified. As of OpenELEC 4.0, images will be provided for AppleTV, Generic (i386 and x86_64) and Raspberry Pi’s.
We have also recently added support for Solid-Run Cubox-I devices to OpenELEC. However, this support is still under active development. Given the fact that this code base is not yet stable, we will not be providing an image for Cubox-i devices with OpenELEC-4.0. Hopefully this will change in the future as support for the platform matures.

New and dropped builds in OpenELEC 4.0

We will no longer be supplying specific builds for Arctic MC, Fusion, Intel and Ion devices – support for all of these devices has been rolled into the Generic builds. If you are using one of these builds, you will need to migrate to the Generic builds. If you need to migrate from an older unsupported build, please follow these instructions:

from Version Old System/Build Architecture to Version
OpenELEC =< 3.0 ION i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 ION x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Intel i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Intel x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) Generic i386
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Generic_OSS x86_64 (with 64-bit capable hardware) Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.0 Xtreamer Ultra 1/2 x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2  AMD Fusion x86_64 Generic x86_64
OpenELEC=< 3.2 Arctic_MC x86_64 Generic x86_64

For more information, please visit:

If you have any questions about OpenELEC, sponsoring the project, or think you might be able to offer another service that will be useful to us, then please drop me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . There is always someone that is able to answer your questions in the #openelec irc on freenode.

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 4.0.7 on the downloads page

Posted: 1 week 1 day ago by chercheur #112836
chercheur's Avatar
I tried both NFS and SMB....
Posted: 1 week 1 day ago by jjslegacy #112812
jjslegacy's Avatar
chercheur wrote:

Since the upgrade from 4.0.6 to 4.0.7 the network browsing takes ages.
I can't go from 1 movie subdirectory to another without waiting 30 seconds....or more.

Anyone with the same behaviour ?

I have not noticed anything different I am using NFS - how are you accessing files?
Posted: 1 week 2 days ago by chercheur #112779
chercheur's Avatar

Since the upgrade from 4.0.6 to 4.0.7 the network browsing takes ages.

Anyone with the same behaviour ?
Posted: 1 week 2 days ago by frarev #112775
frarev's Avatar
djfenixchile wrote:
I have windows system in a HDD and the movies in another hdd with NTFS format. can i mount this file system in openelec?

You should use the normal way to access library movies and "mount" it in XBMC via a share : SMB, etc....
Posted: 1 week 2 days ago by djfenixchile #112762
djfenixchile's Avatar
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by Ulli #112620
Ulli's Avatar
It was my fault. Nothing to do with 4.0.7. My media Source was using FTP and this was the root cause. I did Change to SMB and now everthing works fine, also with 4.0.7. Best regards
Ulli
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by frarev #112617
frarev's Avatar
DDD wrote:
Intel GPU? Do you tried to unchecked VC1 in Video Settings to decode it via Software?

Is this encoding VC1 ? Don't think so : it seems AVC, but not specialist...
Vidéo
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Profil du format : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Paramètres du format, CABAC : Oui
Images par seconde : 23,976 Im/s
Espace de couleurs : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance : 4:2:0
Profondeur des couleurs : 8 bits
Type de balayage : Progressif
Bits/(Pixel*Image) : 0.159
Taille du flux : 3,25 Gio (93%)
Langue : Anglais
Default : Oui
Forced : Non

I didn't change my settings from 4.0.6 to 4.0.7 and never had problem before....
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by frarev #112616
frarev's Avatar
ix400 wrote:
frarev wrote:
I have few mosaic artefacts on my intel NUC Haswell i5 D54250WYK when i was viewing Game of Throne S04E03 and S04E04. I never had this before.

I searched for Openelec 4.0.6 on archive.openelec.tv/ but I couldn't find it, neither 4.0.5.

So i went back to openelec 4.0.4 : i will check if I still have this problem.....

... I also observed strange mosaic artefacts while watching 'Operation Kingdom' last night. The movie is encoded in VC1.

Is GOT also VC1 encoded?

I'm using 4.0.7 since yesterday and I've not observed these artefacts in any other 4.0.x version before.

THis is the video information :
Vidéo
Images par seconde : 23,976 Im/s
Espace de couleurs : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance : 4:2:0
Profondeur des couleurs : 8 bits
Type de balayage : Progressif
Bits/(Pixel*Image) : 0.159
Taille du flux : 3,25 Gio (93%)
Langue : Anglais
Default : Oui
Forced : Non

Do you have an intel NUC ? or an intel GPU ?

It seems that OpenElec 4.0.7 includes new intel driver if I correctly read the change log :
"update to libva-intel-driver-1.3.2"
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by Hakem #112611
Hakem's Avatar
I Trier every build on my ripi . i found out that Version: 3.95.7 is the most stable for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by DDD #112607
DDD's Avatar
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by ix400 #112605
ix400's Avatar
frarev wrote:

Is GOT also VC1 encoded?

Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by dipswitch #112595
dipswitch's Avatar
A little update: i reverted back to 4.0.6 and now my dvblink client is working as before, no problems at all. So there is definitely someting wrong in 4.0.7. Hope anyone from the development team picks this up.
Posted: 1 week 4 days ago by Ulli #112594
Ulli's Avatar
Hi Folks,
I just reverted back on my RPi to 4.0.6. because files (on my synology NAS) with german special charactes (Umlaut üaöß) were not shown at all, neither in the files section, not in the titles section of movies. Now with 4.0.6. it works again perfectly.
Maybe something to consider for 4.0.8. Best regards from Munich
Ulrich
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by Marski69 #112565
Marski69's Avatar
Bug 2 lightpacks not solved in Version 4.05 and 4.06 + 4.06 :huh:

I have a problem with version 4.07 that 1 of my 2 lightpacks stay on when i shut down Openelec.
Back to 4.04 problem is not there.
Anyone can confirm this problem?
Something changed with lsusb in the versions after 4.04.... :sick:
Pls help or fix because i cannot upgrade to newer version then 4.04

p.s. The lightpack that stays on uses a USB splitter shared with CEC adapter
Problem solved

- 2 lightpacks on the same splitter
- CEC adapter in single USB port

Changed with lsusb -d 1d50:6022 the bus en device id's for my boblight.config
Lights where fck*p after that (some off, some on with different colors)
but powersupply off for few minuts and startup openelec everything is ok:)

Happy now ;)
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by frarev #112564
frarev's Avatar

Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by kobrawerde #112537
kobrawerde's Avatar
Version 4.0.6 / 4.0.7 work for me perfectly
thanks for the work
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by dipswitch #112535
dipswitch's Avatar
Here it is. Hope someone can help.
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by DDD #112534
DDD's Avatar
I would Upload the full Log.Zip from the Samba-Share "Logfiles" here, then maybe others would see an Error/Issue there.
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by dipswitch #112526
dipswitch's Avatar
I'm not sure were to look at, but journal-cur.log says:

/home/stephan/projects/openelec-4.0/build.OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-4.0.7/avahi-0.6.31/avahi-core/server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading probe record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Could this be the problem? (no idea what it means :blush: ). If not, could you point out where i should look?
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by DDD #112524
DDD's Avatar
What does the Logs say?
Posted: 1 week 5 days ago by dipswitch #112520
dipswitch's Avatar
My DVBLink client stopped working after updating to 4.0.7 from 4.0.6, When selecting a channel it says "buffering" and nothing happens. On the server side (raspberry with raspbian and dvblink server) nothing has changed. I'm running openelec on intel x64 with atom d525+ion2.
Posted: 1 week 6 days ago by Jack10 #112482
Jack10's Avatar
bollaert: Mine's not a pi - it's an Intel NUC, and I tried rebooting, and reinstalling 4.0.7. Only reverting to 4.0.6 fixes the problem

Reverting to 4.0.6 hasn't fixed my problem when I tried going to 4.0.7 and back to 4.0.6 again.
Something else is going on here. Guess it's not a regression after all

Edit: unloading and reloading the nuvoton_cir module with modprobe:
modprobe -r nuvoton_cir
modprobe nuvoton_cir

makes the remote work on a fresh install of 4.0.7. Hopefully, this is useful information to somebody (developers, or other users with an MCE remote)
Posted: 1 week 6 days ago by noppes123 #112476
noppes123's Avatar
I lost all network connectivity on my ION2 device after auto update to 4.0.7.
The system status shows only 127.0.0.1 loopback device... :(
Posted: 1 week 6 days ago by bollaert #112475
bollaert's Avatar
yesterday evening I wasn't able to get it to work. Yatse could not find my XBMC installation, not matter what I did. I gave it a rest and this afternoon I tried again. Everything seems to be working again now. Dunno what was wrong, but it's fixed now!
Jack10: i doubt if our problems are related. Mine must have been a glitch in the communication between Yatse and XBMC.
have you tried rebooting your Pi?
Posted: 1 week 6 days ago by Jack10 #112472
Jack10's Avatar
My MCE remote has stopped working after doing a clean install of 4.0.7. Worked perfectly in 4.0.6. Might be related to bollaert's problem.