OpenELEC 4.2 Beta 1 released

16 Jul 2014

The OpenELEC team is proud to announce OpenELEC 4.1.1.

The OpenELEC 4.1 release series are test releases (beta) for OpenELEC-4.2.
OpenELEC-4.2 will be the next stable release, which is a feature release and the successor of OpenELEC-4.0.

Since OpenELEC 4.0 we have some parts of the underlying OS reworked. OpenELEC 4.1/4.2 is now based on Kernel linux-3.15, Mesa-10.2 and Xorg-1.16. We updated the Nvidia Graphic drivers in the 64-bit image to 340.x (32-bit remains on 304.123), Systemd to systemd-215, our Connectionmanager to connman-1.24 and XBMC to XBMC Gotham 13.2 (beta1). We switched our libc from eglibc to glibc. We added support for nss-mdns, support to perform filesystem checks on every boot for our both default system partitions and ffmpeg-2.2 to our x86 builds. With switching to ffmpeg-2.2 on our x86 builds we now support h265(HEVC)

You should only upgrade from OpenELEC-4.0 to OpenELEC 4.1.1 for testing purposes. If you are going to update to one of our beta releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data.

Bitcoin Adress:

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 4.1 Release

Updated core Components (summary)

For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:

There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this releases, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or XBMC.

Please report any issues you encounter to our issue tracker on github and/or forum. Please follow our guidelines for submitting issues outlined here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Supported Platform Changes

The number of builds supported has simplified. As of OpenELEC 4.x, images will be provided for AppleTV, Generic (i386 and x86_64) and Raspberry Pi’s.
We have also recently added support for Solid-Run Cubox-I devices to OpenELEC. However, this support is still under active development. Given the fact that this code base is not yet stable, we will not be providing an image for Cubox-i devices with OpenELEC-4.x. Hopefully this will change in the future as support for the platform matures.

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 4.1.1 on the downloads page

Posted: 2 months 3 days ago by Mettbrot #115856
Mettbrot's Avatar
gluesniffined wrote:
After upgrade from 4.0.7 I had to go into the OpenELEC settings application and manually connect to my wired LAN. The OpenELEC machine is running on a ZOTAC D2700ITXS-A-E motherboard. Reserverd IP set via DHCP for the OpenELEC box, thumbnails are on an NFS share and the database is running off MariaDB. Once I manually select "connect" in the OpenELEC settings application all is well, but I do have to killall -9 xbmc.bin in order to get XBMC to read my central database and thumbnails. Everything ran perfectly in 4.0.7.
[File Attachment: log-2014-07-17-12.44.47.zip]
EDIT AND UPDATE:

It appears as though this is only an issue when my OpenELEC box is set to DHCP. Setting the IP as a static resolves the issue, if that helps you guys out in narrowing things down a bit.

Thanks for your great work on OpenELEC!

Hey everyone! Exactly the same for me, it does not connect automatically, I have to manually open the addon and select 'connect'. Tell me if you need any more logs...
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by hugepants #113263
hugepants's Avatar
lowridin_guy wrote:
This build is working great on my raspi!! The fastest/snappiest build to date
Joint-fastest, because the Raspberry Pi firmware with the performance improvements was added in OE 4.0.7.
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by scovette #113078
scovette's Avatar
Thanks for this :)

Glad to report the problem with my AMD boxes resuming to a blank screen which began in v4 is resolved with this version.
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by Marcst #113076
Marcst's Avatar
Many thanks! Works fine on my RPi but I get constant crashes when updating / scanning larger video- or music-librariers. Downloading artworks seems to be the problem.

Best,
Marc
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by Sym #113035
Sym's Avatar
Do I need to enable anything to perform filesystem checks on every boot for my RPi? I read this is a new feature.

I would also like to mention that the cpu load is about 80% on my RPi almost the entire time.

Thanks for everything.
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by lowridin_guy #113005
lowridin_guy's Avatar
This build is working great on my raspi!! The fastest/snappiest build to date with no issues so far after testing since release.
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by bluesky #112953
bluesky's Avatar
Hi~ I am R-pi user.
I installed OE 4.2.1 today and I ran quick test.
I have only one problem related to CPU load. It's very high~!
Thank you!
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by 2ami #112947
2ami's Avatar
I wish someday there will be a dvbs box with oe builtin and a remote just like rasbpi.. :whistle:
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by gluesniffined #112945
gluesniffined's Avatar
[File Attachment: log-2014-07-17-12.44.47.zip]
EDIT AND UPDATE:

Thanks for your great work on OpenELEC!
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by BennieBoy #112943
BennieBoy's Avatar
Thanks for this version.
Works wonderful, including HEVC.

The logfiles are attached:
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by sraue #112940
BennieBoy wrote:
Unfortunately , on my network bootable systems, XBMC does not start.

Last thing it says in the log file:
"10:02:18 T:3063376192 NOTICE: Checking resolution 16" and then it does not much anymore, but showing a mouse pointer

So, reverting back to 4.0.7 (which works like a charm)
On 4.0.7, after the above given log line, it says:
DEBUG: Window Manager Name: Fluxbox

But not in 4.2 Beta 1

please try snapshots.openelec.tv/test/OpenELEC-Gene...-r18724-gc40b706.tar report back and provide this logs again (even if the build works).
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by BennieBoy #112934
BennieBoy's Avatar
> sraue
I added the logs to my original post
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by phix #112932
phix's Avatar
Undutchable wrote:
Confusing, but you're absolutely right.
To be honest: my first thought was the same like yours :laugh:
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by sraue #112931
BennieBoy wrote:
Unfortunately , on my network bootable systems, XBMC does not start.

Last thing it says in the log file:

So, reverting back to 4.0.7 (which works like a charm)
On 4.0.7, after the above given log line, it says:
DEBUG: Window Manager Name: Fluxbox

But not in 4.2 Beta 1

please paste the complete logs like dmesg output, xbmc.log, Xorg.log
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by Undutchable #112930
Undutchable's Avatar
Confusing, but you're absolutely right.
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by BennieBoy #112929
BennieBoy's Avatar
Unfortunately , on my network bootable systems, XBMC does not start.

Last thing it says in the log file:

So, reverting back to 4.0.7 (which works like a charm)
On 4.0.7, after the above given log line, it says:
DEBUG: Window Manager Name: Fluxbox

But not in 4.2 Beta 1
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by phix #112928
phix's Avatar
Undutchable wrote:
"The OpenELEC team is proud to announce OpenELEC 4.1.1."

The topicheader says something else. ;)

And if you read one more sentence:
The OpenELEC 4.1 release series are test releases (beta) for OpenELEC-4.2.

scnr :laugh:
Posted: 3 months 1 week ago by Undutchable #112926
Undutchable's Avatar
Hey Stephan,

"The OpenELEC team is proud to announce OpenELEC 4.1.1."

The topicheader says something else. ;)
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Hans Gruber #112920
Hans Gruber's Avatar
Thanks for the update. I've noticed that on my NUC DN2820FYKH the CPU and GPU temperatures both seem to report only 26 degrees C. Something there doesn't seem quite right.
Posted: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Frank-NL #112918
Frank-NL's Avatar
Thanks team. I installed it this morning and it was running fine as always. Will report anything out of the ordinary in case I notice that :)

Any plans on switching Tvheadend to the 3.9 branch in the official repository? This might be a good moment to get people migrated. The current 3.9 builds are becoming quite stable.