OpenELEC 4.2 Beta 2 released

23 Jul 2014

The OpenELEC team is proud to announce OpenELEC 4.1.2.

The OpenELEC 4.1 release series are test releases (beta) for OpenELEC-4.2.
OpenELEC-4.2 will be the next stable release, which is a feature release and the successor of OpenELEC-4.0.

This release includes some bugfixes, security fixes and improvements since OpenELEC-4.1.1. Besides the usual bugfixes and package updates we updated XBMC to XBMC Gotham 13.2 beta 2, FFmpeg to ffmpeg-2.3, kernel to linux-3.15.6, Mesa to Mesa 10.2.4 and Xorg to the final version of xorg-server-1.16.0. We updated the RaspberryPi firmware to include the last fixes and features and fixed some issues with not starting XBMC/Xorg on some AMD hardware.

Since OpenELEC 4.0 we have some parts of the underlying OS reworked. OpenELEC 4.1/4.2 is now based on Kernel linux-3.15, Mesa-10.2 and Xorg-1.16. We updated the Nvidia Graphic drivers in the 64-bit image to 340.x (32-bit remains on 304.123), Systemd to systemd-215, our Connectionmanager to connman-1.24 and XBMC to XBMC Gotham 13.2. We switched our libc from eglibc to glibc. We added support for nss-mdns, support to perform filesystem checks on every boot for our both default system partitions and ffmpeg-2.3 to our x86 builds. With switching to ffmpeg-2.3 on our x86 builds we now support h265(HEVC)

You should only upgrade from OpenELEC-4.0 to OpenELEC 4.1.1 for testing purposes. If you are going to update to one of our beta releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data.

Bitcoin Adress:

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 4.1 Release

Updated core Components (summary)

• update to libXfont-1.5.0
  • update to xbmc-pvr-addons-be12a8d
  • update to bcm2835-bootloader-09c0f5f
  • update to bcm2835-driver-09c0f5f
  • update to xbmc-13-6d3bb09 (XBMC Gotham 13.2 beta2)
  • update to linux-3.15.6
  • update to Mesa-10.2.4
  • update to libXi-1.7.4
  • update to curl-7.37.1
  • update to libnl-3.2.25
  • update to gettext-0.19.2
  • update to dvb-firmware-0.0.42
  • update to xorg-server-1.6.0
  • update to ffmpeg-2.3
  • update to gcc-4.9.1
  • create_installstick_osx: enable debug shell in installer
  • projects/RPi/patches/linux: update RPi support patch
  • libepoxy: build as shared library to avoid "(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so: undefined symbol: epoxy_eglCreateImageKHR"
  • libcec: add PR29
  • projects/RPi/linux: enable CONFIG_UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY
  • projects/Generic: dont build XHCI driver as module, and dont unload on suspend
  • lcdproc: tune lcdd.service

For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:

There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this releases, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or XBMC.

Please report any issues you encounter to our issue tracker on github and/or forum. Please follow our guidelines for submitting issues outlined here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Supported Platform Changes

The number of builds supported has simplified. As of OpenELEC 4.x, images will be provided for AppleTV, Generic (i386 and x86_64) and Raspberry Pi’s.
We have also recently added support for Solid-Run Cubox-I devices to OpenELEC. However, this support is still under active development. Given the fact that this code base is not yet stable, we will not be providing an image for Cubox-i devices with OpenELEC-4.x. Hopefully this will change in the future as support for the platform matures.

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 4.1.2 on the downloads page

Posted: 4 months 1 week ago by nickr #114311
nickr's Avatar
Is anyone else having problems with mythtv pvr on this beta? It doesn't seem to play anything from my recordings. Just sits there and hangs when you play a recording or livetv. Gets back to menu if you press stop.
Posted: 4 months 2 weeks ago by andPS2 #114092
andPS2's Avatar
corb06 wrote:
Total crash after copying target files to the update folder on my raspberry pi.

Dont even boot, so now I have to redo everythinggggggg!!

When booting all I get is a marker _ at top left for a while then this:

exact same error happened to me to on pi

p.s. the Unofficial Repo still cant be installed
see old posts in 4.0 threads
openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements...ased?start=45#105336

openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements...ased?start=60#105591
Posted: 4 months 2 weeks ago by dominic7il #114081
dominic7il's Avatar
Sym wrote:
Will development continue with xbmc since the xbmc project has been taken over and renamed?

Edit: Never mind, I see that "Kodi" is going to be the official name for xbmc 14, and development is going to continue. It does seem like xbmc 14 will be the last version under the development of the original xbmc team though.

That's rubbish - all they are doing is changing the name.
Posted: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Sym #114067
Sym's Avatar

Posted: 4 months 2 weeks ago by kobrawerde #114022
kobrawerde's Avatar
My USB tuner DVB-T (WandTV - ITE - IT9135 - 048d: 9005) is detected in the Tvheadend as: Afatech AF9033 (DVB-T) ?
but after re-configuration works OK
Posted: 4 months 2 weeks ago by piotrasd #113833
piotrasd's Avatar
Tinlad wrote:
menn0 wrote:
Installed it on my Asus Chromebox, same problem as beta1, as soon as I touch a button on my PS3 BD (bluetooth) remote, the whole thing hangs instantly!
I also have this issue. I'm using a self-built Haswell i3 based machine with a USB Bluetooth adapter. Control through a USB keyboard is fine, but attempting to use the PS3 remote results in an immediate freeze.

I've rolled back to 4.0.7 in the meantime, but I'm happy to provide more detailed hardware information if that would be of use.

This same problem i have on ZOTAC ID42 and PS3 Remote with bluetooth on miniPCIE with WIFI
If i only touch my remote then system immediate freeze complety. Just reboot help :(

I remeber im always use snaphot build (nightly) and after 20 may this start happens :( i dont know if that happens changes of kernel or something else.

If some one tell me how to deeply debug then i can delivery logs (because normal logs from dmesg or xbmc.log nothing show, system just freez )

UPDATE: for openelec TEAM
- im compiled latest version of openelec from git (master) and just donwgrade kernel to 3.14.4 and remote working !!!!!!!! :) no freez system anymore !
so this must be kernel issue or something in config of kernel
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Tommix #113633
Tommix's Avatar
Few problems:

With this version NTFS partitions is not mounted. USB flash is ok but i have internal sata disk and only FAT32 partition is shown. I formated NTFS to EXT4 and it now shown. This wasnt happening in stable version. Stable version sometimes reboots itself. This one so far good, but tested only 5 hours.

ALSO: why CPU temp is in F ? not in C ? Im not american and i dont use Fahrenheit. Would be nice to have temp in Celsius :)

Other than thats, seems to be all good. THANKS>
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Hans Gruber #113480
Hans Gruber's Avatar
Tinlad wrote:
menn0 wrote:

I just tried pairing my PS3 BD remote to my Celeron NUC and it froze as soon as it connected too.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Tinlad #113469
Tinlad's Avatar
menn0 wrote:

Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by gluesniffined #113417
gluesniffined's Avatar
dr88dr88 wrote:
After update my wired network connection stop working.
After a downgrade to beta 1 it was working again.
I have the latest a Intel NUC.

If your OpenELEC is set to DHCP, try setting the IP as manual. My Zotac will not connect to the network set to DHCP unless I manually go into the OpenELEC settings app and click on connect as of beta 1. If I set my IP manually, all is well.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Hans Gruber #113409
Hans Gruber's Avatar
I'm still getting incorrect temperature readings on my NUC with this build. Other than that it's all fine.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by polo_joe #113394
polo_joe's Avatar
Latest 4.2 beta build is running smooth on my zbox ad02 (fusion e350). Perfect playback of 1080i livetv content with temporal deinterlacing.

Thanks much!!
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by LastMile #113386
LastMile's Avatar
How do I remove the built-in support for the Xbox One remote that was added in 4.0.3?

My Xbox One remote already controls my Xbox and using it for its intended purpose makes my OpenELEC box do all sorts of random things.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by patseguin #113373
patseguin's Avatar
I asked in the beta 1 release thread and also here and got no answer. Is ALSA fixed? It was fixed in 4.0.7 then broken in 4.2 beta 1 so I went back to 4.0.7. It would be nice to know before I go messing around upgrading then downgrading.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by popcornmix #113370
popcornmix's Avatar
corb06 wrote:
Total crash after copying target files to the update folder on my raspberry pi.

If you have access to a linux machine you may be able to repair the sdcard with fsck.

It's pretty easy to backup a working sdcard, with dd on linux, or win32diskimager on windows.
Then if something does go wrong you can be back up and running in minutes.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by menn0 #113368
menn0's Avatar
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by dr88dr88 #113361
dr88dr88's Avatar
After update my wired network connection stop working.
After a downgrade to beta 1 it was working again.
I have the latest a Intel NUC.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by corb06 #113352
corb06's Avatar
Total crash after copying target files to the update folder on my raspberry pi.

Dont even boot, so now I have to redo everythinggggggg!!

When booting all I get is a marker _ at top left for a while then this:
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Sym #113347
Sym's Avatar
Thanks for new release of OpenElec 4.1.2. The high cpu usage problem that I had with the previous beta is now fixed for my RPi.

Best regards.
Posted: 4 months 3 weeks ago by patseguin #113334
patseguin's Avatar
Is ALSA fixed in this build?