The OpenELEC team is proud to announce the fourth beta of OpenELEC 6.0 (v5.95.4)
The most visible change is Kodi 15.1 (Isengard). Beginning with Kodi 15.0 most audio encoder, audio decoder, PVR and visualisation addons are no longer pre-bundled into OpenELEC but can be downloaded from the Kodi addon repo if required. PVR backends such as VDR and TVHeadend will install needed dependencies automatically. For further information on Kodi 15.1 please read http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-1-isengard-maintenance-release/.
We now officially support WeTek's WeTek_Play device with a build that installs to internal NAND and dual-boots with Android on an SD Card. The iMX6 build extends support to all Solidrun CuBox-i/TV, Solidrun Hummingboard devices and the OSMC Vero. We recommend CuBox-i2eX / Hummingboard-i2eX or better devices.
Under the hood there are updates to ffmpeg 2.6, mesa 10.6, Xorg-1.17, libva 1.6, systemd v219, binutils 2.25, Glibc 2.21, libressl 2.1.7, LLVM-3.6 and Kernel 4.1 (except for iMX6 and WeTek_Play). We also added support for the new Xorg input driver system based on libinput.
IMPORTANT: The remote bug which affects some users has not been solved. We are in the process of sourcing an affected system to replicate the problem and hopefully figure out a solution. Many thanks to Stefano from Italy for helping us with this!
OpenELEC 6.0 (and v5.95.x beta) release contain a Kodi major version bump. If you are updating from OpenELEC 5.0 or earlier we strongly recommend you perform a full backup before performing a manual update. If you experience issues please perform a soft-reset to clear OpenELEC and Kodi settings.
NB: Many addons and skins still need porting to Isengard by their developers. This is out of our control, and until updates are published many addons may be marked as broken by Kodi. If an addon or skin is essential to you, please confirm it is compatible with Kodi Isengard before updating.
WeTek OpenELEC Box - LIMITED EDITION
Designed from the inside to the outside
Thinking about all OpenELEC community, we have been working with our sponsor partner WeTek on a TV box dedicated to Kodi. Let us present you the WeTek OpenELEC model, a special edition, with pre-installed OpenELEC that combines DVB and multimedia contents.
Receiving IPTV channels is good, but broadcasting DVB channels with only one box, is great. WeTek OpenELEC is available with 3 different tuners, depending on your location and signal type (satellite, cable, terrestrial) you may opt for different tuners (DVB-S2, DVB-C/T/T2 and ATSC).
You may use a HDMI or an AV cable to connect the box, this guarantee that it can be used not only with modern TV but also with older one. This is the easiest way to enjoy Kodi environment on your TV.
This new device is already available on our website and includes 24 months guarantee and free express delivery. This is a limited edition reserved for OpenELEC fans, so access our Openelec webshop and don't wait to get your own.
- [DROPPED] Generic 32bit (i386) builds
We dropped our Generic 32bit (i386) build. The number of 32bit devices are declining and our stats system shows most 32bit Generic users have 64bit capable hardware that can be updated to the Nvidia_legacy build. Please refer to the Wiki for 32bit > 64bit migration instructions or use the forum to get support. Users with 32bit hardware can continue to use our 5.0 releases, or if they want to buy new hardware, we recommend switching to a RaspberryPi 2 or WeTek-Play.
- [CHANGED] Generic 64bit (x86_64) builds
The Generic x86_64 build contains now the latest nVidia GPU drivers which drops support for some older nVidia GPU hardware. Supported GPUs can be found in the following list: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/83686.
- [INFO] AppleTV 32bit (i386) builds
Official OpenELEC builds for AppleTV hardware ceased at v4.2.1 but an unofficial 'community' v5.95.4 build with Kodi Isengard and CrystalHD support has been published by project staff member 'chewitt'. This build is noteworthy for solving CrystalHD playback performance problems that troubled historic AppleTV builds. For more information please read here: http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv.
- [NEW] NVidia_Legacy 64bit (x86_64) build
This 64bit build continues to use the 304.125 legacy driver to continue support for older nVidia GPUs including popular ION devices. This build contains only nVidia drivers (no Intel/AMD). Supported GPUs can be found at http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/80134. Please be aware that at some point in the mid-term future a driver bump will be required that drops support for ION devices.
- [NEW] WeTek_Play ARM build
WeTek offers a new dimension of technology, innovative products and solutions with the best support. Wetek is a company dedicated to designing and manufacturing products, which will satisfy all customer needs (in the sector of Home entertainment) and contribute to a better quality life for clients.
Starting with OpenELEC-6.0 we officially support Wetek's WeTek Play and OpenELEC's Box ARM devices. WeTek Play is a unique TV box. With Android and/or OpenELEC, WeTek gives your TV the full potential of Internet. Certified by Google, WeTek gives you access to thousands of Android applications through Google Play. WeTek Play includes Plug and Play DVB Tuners for Satellite (Twin Tuner), Cable, Terrestrial and ATSC (depending on the model) and you have a unique experience of DVB and Multimedia in one small device.
|Processor (CPU)||AMLogic AML-8726 MX (1.5 GHz Dual Core)|
|GPU||Mali MP400 (Dual Core)|
|RAM||Memory 1GB DDR III|
|Flash memory||4GB NAND|
Plug & Play:
*can be purchased separately
|Wireless LAN||802.11 B/G/N|
|USB||5(4*) (3 external, 2(1*) internal) | * = for OpenELEC box|
|Serial Debug||Yes external|
|Power socket||DC In|
|LED||3x (power, LAN, WiFi)|
|RF||With motion RCU|
Help Supporting OpenELEC
If you would like to contribute to the OpenELEC project, there are lots of ways you can help. We are always looking for people to help with documentation, testing and reporting bugs. If you enjoy using OpenELEC and would like to make a donation to support the project, you can do this using PayPal. Donating is easy and takes only a few minutes, and you do not need a PayPal account to make a donation. We can also accept donations by other means (bitcoin, flattr, etc…). You can find out more about donating here.
Note: You do not need a PayPal account to make a PayPal donation.
Updated core Components (summary) since OpenELEC 5.95.3 (6.0 beta 3)
- update to mesa-10.6.5
- update to openssh-7.1p1
- update to bcm2835-bootloader-e1e2823
- update to bcm2835-driver-e1e2823
- update to kodi-15.1-f4dda26
- update to linux-4.1.6
- update to curl-7.44.0
- update to cmake-3.3.1
- update to libepoxy-1.3.1
- update to libjpeg-turbo-1.4.1
- update to xf86-input-libinput-0.13.0
- update to libinput-0.21.0
- update to wireless-regdb-2015.07.20
- update to xf86-video-nvidia-352.30
- update to sqlite-autoconf-3081101
- update to ffmpeg-2.6.4
- update to libtirpc-0.3.2
- update to xf86-input-libinput-0.12.0
- update to gettext-0.19.5.1
- update to binutils-2.25.1
- update to xkeyboard-config-2.15
- update to dvb-firmware-0.0.49
- update to iwlwifi-firmware-0.0.3
- kodi: add Isengard backports
- projects/RPi*/patches/linux: update RPi* support patches
- projects/RPi*/patches/kodi: update RPi* support patches
- linux: enable net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save
- kodi: Use a temporary filename when creating new crashlog
- Revert "Python: dont install distutils"
- remove package 'mt7601u', added as kernel patch
- linux: add backport of mediatek mt7601u driver from kernel 4.2, stolen from https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux , thanks much
- openssh: enable root password login, ssh-dss public key
- connman: Make veth* and bridges (docker*) completely ignored by connman
- projects/Generic/patches/linux: add docker support to kernel
- wetek_play: dvb: less log spam
- brcmfmac_sdio-firmware: fix service type
- cmake: set CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR in toolchain file
- openssh: restart on failure. dont wait for network
- kodi: add some more standard mappings for devinput devices
- kodi: configure record button for some remotes
- eventlircd: big cleanup, remove mappings with source=target, use default mapping for ircore and power mappings, use KEY_ENTER instead KEY_OK
- linux/drivers/input/joystick/xpad: fix operation for xbox 360/one controllers
- projects/imx6/patches/linux: remove enhanced driver for st1232 touchscreen because now everything is handled in userspace by touchscreen access library (tslib)
- linux: fix i2c_reglen in HVR-2205 patch
- linux: add missing I2C functions to the Hauppauge HVR-2205 patch
- projects/RPi*/linux: enable CONFIG_SND_SOC_WM8804_I2C=m
- connman: make sure we have fallback namesrvers in resolv.conf
- kodi: Don't discard buttons when repeat mode is enabled
- kodi: Add settings for libcec repeating key
- libcec: Add repeating key support from popcornmix repo
- linux: move CONFIG_PPP to module
For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:
How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 6.0 Release
If you are going to update from one of our older releases, we STRONGLY advise that you make a backup of your XBMC data and do a manual update . You can use our OpenELEC Settings addon if you are using OpenELEC-3.2 or later to backup your data. For more details, please visit http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC.
OpenELEC.tv is hosted and sponsored by
Testing and Reporting
There has been many months of development and testing in the run-up to this releases, but like any major update there are a lot of changes. Unfortunately, we are unable to test every scenario on all hardware, so it’s possible you might pick up on an issue we may have missed (this is why we do beta tests). We would like anyone brave enough to test this release and report issues that they find either with OpenELEC or Kodi.
We would like to thank our users, team members and partners for testing, reporting and fixing issues, creating how-to documents, developing new features, and their donations of hardware and funds to the project. We appreciate your continued support, without it we would not be able to continue.
Questions & Feedback
You can find the new release of OpenELEC 5.95.4 on the downloads page