OpenELEC 8.0 (internal version 8.0.0) release has been published. Users running older OpenELEC releases or with auto-update disabled will need to manually update. If you would like to update from an older OpenELEC release please read update instructions/advice on the Wiki before updating. Manual update files can be obtained from the downloads page.

OpenELEC 8.0.0 is a feature release. The main changes are:

• Platform changes:
    • New Platform WeTek Play 2Play 2 supported with a own Build.
      WeTek Play 2 brings endless entertainment to your living room. Enjoy the latest movies and series in 4K UHD, play games, browse the internet, keep up with the news, or use the DVB modular tuner to watch thousands of TV channels via satellite, terrestrial and cable connections.
    • New Platform WeTek Hub supported by a own Build.
      Taking advantage of the latest hardware advances, we’ve maximized performance and optimized design. Introducing, WeTek Hub, the smallest WeTek device yet, and one of the most powerful Android streaming devices on the market.
    • Raspberry Pi Zero W supported by Raspberry Pi (1) builds.
  • Core OS updates and changes (old version in brackets):
    • Pulseaudio updated to 10.0 (9.0)
    • Binutils updated to 2.28 (2.26)
    • GCC updated to 6.3 (5.4)
    • glibc updated to 2.25 (2.23)
    • LLVM updated to 4.0 (3.8)
    • Linux kernel updated to 4.9 (4.4)
    • Mesa updated to 17.0 (11.2)
    • ffmpeg updated to 3.2 (2.8)
    • libva updated to 1.8 (1.7)
    • connman updated to 1.33 (1.31)
    • libressl updated to 2.4 (2.2)
    • systemd updated to 233 (229)
    • xorg-server updated to 1.19 (1.18)
    • samba updated to 4.6 (3.6)
    • MySQL replaced with MariaDB-10.1
    • HFS and HFS+ Filesystem support removed.
    • iSCSI support removed.
    • NFS, NBD, iSCSI Network boot support removed.
    • LIRC support removed, LIRC was always installed as a enhancenment to the Kernel RC drivers, and was only used for very old IR Hardware like classic XBox remote and others - which support is now dropped.
    • Apple TV 1 IR remote driver driver removed.
    • X11 AMDGPU, ATI (Radeon) and Intel GPU driver driver replaced by X11 Modesettings GPU driver.
  • Driver and firmware updates and changes:
    • updated WLAN and DVB drivers and firmwares.
    • updated Nvidia Legacy driver to xf86-video-nvidia-340, which removes support for legacy Nvidia GPUs not supporting VDPAU.
  • Kodi updates and changes (old version in brackets)
    • Kodi updated to 17.1 final (16)

Kodi 17 (Krypton) support

OpenELEC 8.0 release contain a Kodi major version bump. If you are updating from OpenELEC 7.0 or earlier we strongly recommend you perform a full backup before performing a manual update. If you experience issues please perform a soft-reset to clear OpenELEC and Kodi settings.

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 8.0 (8.0.0) Release

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 8.0 (8.0.0) on the downloads page

Posted: 5 months 5 days ago by sraue #168811
8.0.1 is released, please test and use this thread openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements/83478-stable-openelec-8-0-1-released
Posted: 5 months 5 days ago by sraue #168810
usul27 wrote:
Any news on this? It seems that the Raspberry Pi version is missing some drivers.
rpi3 with hifiberry-digi-pro, fresh install (8.0.0) and no sound. hifiberry not detected at all.
in dmesg I found:
[ 1.503867] ALSA device list:
[ 1.503870] No soundcards found.
....
[ 4.598548] snd-hifiberry-digi soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered - will retry
[ 4.629168] snd-hifiberry-digi soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered - will retry

Does it work for someone at all? How should I configure it?

will try to fix in 8.0.2 i a few days, thanks for the report and log snipped
Posted: 5 months 5 days ago by usul27 #168808
usul27's Avatar
in dmesg I found:
[ 1.503867] ALSA device list:
[ 1.503870] No soundcards found.
....

Does it work for someone at all? How should I configure it?
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by Juno #168736
Juno's Avatar
Thank You for new version of OE.
For a while i have just problem. I cant find any CEC settings, and my TV remote is not working with OE.
Any hope? :)

Regards.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by blueribb #168727
blueribb's Avatar
yoyoma2 wrote:
blueribb wrote:
vulkanus wrote:
Please check post #68
Before the update I have also working samba, I have to do the same in post #68

post #68

Are you sure ?
The samba issue explanation/solution by sraue is now in post #64 no longer #68 (some earlier posts were deleted?). Essentially openelec had a major samba upgrade and unless you made a fresh openelec 8.0.0 install, you're still using an older incompatible samba configuration file.

Thank you for the very clear explanation. I'm no coder but why wouldn't an upgrade take care of the Samba issue ?
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by yoyoma2 #168726
yoyoma2's Avatar
blueribb wrote:
vulkanus wrote:
Please check post #68
Before the update I have also working samba, I have to do the same in post #68

post #68

Are you sure ?
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by JimmySmith #168720
JimmySmith's Avatar
sraue wrote:
JimmySmith wrote:
Ou,

Lirc removed? I use Lirc + TSOP4038 on all Rpi's, connected to the Non-CEC TV (or where CEC doesnt work 100%). Thats bad news for me :(

Related to MariaDB, I thought that Kodi developers say that MariaDB isnt mature enough and has some troubles with MySQL querries (act differently on some versions, ie. not the same behauviour on all versions of MariaDB) - forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=260568 etc. Was this resolved already?

I also use the TSOP4038, on all of my Rpis'.

and its not working? you dont need lirc using RPi's GPIO IR.:
use
dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=18,gpio_pull=1,rc-map-name=rc-rc6-mce
(be sure setting the right pin)

I think I need it, or atleast I thought that I use it for mapping buttons (dtoverlay=lirc-rpi, irrecord -f /storage/.config/lircd.conf, as stated on wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Guide_To_lirc_rpi_GPIO_Receiver).

I using all kind of remotes (usually from old VHS recorders etc.), for different setups :)

I make some digging, and found in github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/overlays/README :
Name:   gpio-ir
Info:   Use GPIO pin as rc-core style infrared receiver input. The rc-core-
        based gpio_ir_recv driver maps received keys directly to a
        /dev/input/event* device, all decoding is done by the kernel - LIRC is
        not required! The key mapping and other decoding parameters can be
        configured by "ir-keytable" tool.
Load:   dtoverlay=gpio-ir,<param>=<val>
Params: gpio_pin                Input pin number. Default is 18.

gpio_pull               Desired pull-up/down state (off, down, up)
                                Default is "down".

rc-map-name             Default rc keymap (can also be changed by
                                ir-keytable), defaults to "rc-rc6-mce"

Google didnt throw much tutorials according this, as you sure know this things, could you little bit explain lirc/gpio-ir differences, pros/cons? I dont have experience with ir-keytable tool at all, I am used to lirc(?) - irrecord interface, it automatically detect and setup itself to specific IR remote which I use..

Thank you in advance!
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by blueribb #168716
blueribb's Avatar
vulkanus wrote:
Please check post #68
Before the update I have also working samba, I have to do the same in post #68

post #68

Are you sure ?

OE version 7.01 and earlier required no editing that I remember to access your samba shares. Why does this version require it and am I the only one that is lost when it comes to this editing stuff ?
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by vulkanus #168713
vulkanus's Avatar
Please check post #68
Before the update I have also working samba, I have to do the same in post #68
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by blueribb #168712
blueribb's Avatar
vulkanus wrote:
Just do:
cp samba.conf.sample samba.conf
edit samba: nano samba.conf
... (edit your file) ...
save with: ctrl+X
ENTER

I feel really stupid. I have no idea what you mean. In previous versions all I did was install the latest update file. A detailed step-by-step might be helpful in my case. Why is this even necessary ? Samba shares were always accessible before without any editing.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by sraue #168711
nearly, now there should be a samba4.conf.sample, rename to samba4.conf and edit. samba.conf is not more used
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by vulkanus #168710
vulkanus's Avatar
Just do:
cp samba.conf.sample samba.conf
edit samba: nano samba.conf
... (edit your file) ...
save with: ctrl+X
ENTER
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by blueribb #168707
blueribb's Avatar
Could someone please explain exactly what this means:

Rename users samba configfile to force the user to include own changes in a new config then using the old one.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by Darkedge #168705
Darkedge's Avatar
oop 8.0.1 looking good - did fresh build to fix partition and plenty of space and zipping along :)
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by yoyoma2 #168683
yoyoma2's Avatar
shedrock wrote:
...windows keeps asking me for my network login credentials. I do not have this issue with any other version of OpenELEC.
User/developer sraue already answered this in post #68.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by listok #168682
listok's Avatar
Управление моих устройств Raspberry Pi 3 c помощью lirc ( который в новой версии отключен) невозможно. Новый интерфейс неудобный, проводное соединение работает плохо и при обновлении новой версии убил карту памяти. :( :( :(

LibreELEC в новой версии не отключил LIRC, adieu OpenElec :)
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by leek #168681
leek's Avatar
Does anyone know how to change the partition sizes of the openelec sd card for a raspberry pi? Ive seen a few tuts but none of them seem to work. Im thinking this may fix the installing issues a few of us are currently having.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by leek #168680
leek's Avatar
-error please delete
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by serialne #168675
serialne's Avatar
is "openelec configuration" gone?
Same here, also pass through on HDMI doesn't seem to be working properly, my AVR (Pioneer) not showing DTS or Dolby Digital notification, worked fine with 7.01. It Isn't a problem with the AVR as the BD Player player works as before.
Apart from that all looks good after manual upgrade.
UPDATE - Openelec config seems to be a problem with the Confluence skin, It's all present and correct in the Estuary skin.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by shedrock #168674
shedrock's Avatar
I've noticed with this version I can't access OpenELEC from my Windows PC. I usually just create a shortcut "\\ip-address\" and I can see all the folders but windows keeps asking me for my network login credentials. I do not have this issue with any other version of OpenELEC.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by vulkanus #168672
vulkanus's Avatar

I have upgrade the OpenElec 8 without any biggest issue.
But the only issue I found, is mounting my internal hdd, I have to do it manualy.

There is any way to do on boot? the file etc/fstab is only as reading ;)

Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by lukas.bulwahn #168658
lukas.bulwahn's Avatar
I can confirm that the /storage/ partition is tiny (26mb) and unmounting /storage/ is not possible as connmand is keeping the device busy.
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by Darkedge #168657
Darkedge's Avatar
Tried an upgrade to 8.0 from 7.0.1 after taking a backup and no luck, wouldn't boot.

Reinstalled from scratch and discovered would not restore backup as no space. Think the stable 8.0.0 build for rpi 2 has a few issues, the main cause of some of the problems I've seen here is the storage partition is TINY, its about 26mb in my img based install currently. So the IMG build is not auto resizing the storage partition like it used to. With no storage free addons crash or can't be installed and various other issues appear to occur.

I've tried resizing the storage via ssh commands but connmand is holding onto the /storage partition as that is where it stores it's cache for the network connection so if you terminate that the connection goes (obviously..). The old Resize script is no longer in the build so you can't use that, so basically if you want to add anything to your install you have to drop back to 7.0.1. I have no linux build currently at home so I can't resize the storage ext4 partition that way and can't find a windows prog that will allow me to do this.

As there are several problems with the 8.0.0 will there be an update soon or is there a resize script someone can point me to to resolve this?
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by mbeerli #168646
mbeerli's Avatar
RPi V2: I upgraded manually from V7 to V8 copying the tar file in the update folder.
Upgrade went fine, add-ons are working but when I connect my external USB HD it is not being automounted any longer.
I am not sure how to mount the drive
Posted: 5 months 1 week ago by leek #168645
leek's Avatar
I wish i could still use the 7.01 version. That actually functioned properly.