OpenELEC 8.0.1 release has been published. Users running OpenELEC 8.0.0 or later with auto-update enabled will be prompted on-screen to reboot and apply the update once it has been downloaded and enabled in some hours. Users running older OpenELEC releases or with auto-update disabled will need to manually update. If you would like to update from an older OpenELEC release please read update instructions/advice on the Wiki before updating. Manual update files can be obtained from the downloads page.

OpenELEC 8.0.1 is a maintenance release for OpenELEC-8.0.0. The main fixes are:

• Fix broken automount for (external) USB storage devices.
  • Fix always blinking LED on SolidRun's Cubox.
  • Fix broken Filesystem resize on new install.
  • Rename Kodis old database files when updating, to try to fix updating issues when Kodi updates the own databases.
  • Readd SFTP support on user requests.
  • Always load TUN driver for VPN users on user request.
  • Updated WeTek DVB driver to prevent issues when running TV.
  • Rename users samba configfile to force the user to include own changes in a new config then using the old one.

OpenELEC 8.0 series is a feature release. The main changes are:

• Platform changes:
    • New Platform WeTek Play 2Play 2 supported with a own Build.
      WeTek Play 2 brings endless entertainment to your living room. Enjoy the latest movies and series in 4K UHD, play games, browse the internet, keep up with the news, or use the DVB modular tuner to watch thousands of TV channels via satellite, terrestrial and cable connections.
    • New Platform WeTek Hub supported by a own Build.
      Taking advantage of the latest hardware advances, we’ve maximized performance and optimized design. Introducing, WeTek Hub, the smallest WeTek device yet, and one of the most powerful Android streaming devices on the market.
    • Raspberry Pi Zero W supported by Raspberry Pi (1) builds.
  • Core OS updates and changes (old version in brackets):
    • Pulseaudio updated to 10.0 (9.0)
    • Binutils updated to 2.28 (2.26)
    • GCC updated to 6.3 (5.4)
    • glibc updated to 2.25 (2.23)
    • LLVM updated to 4.0 (3.8)
    • Linux kernel updated to 4.9 (4.4)
    • Mesa updated to 17.0 (11.2)
    • ffmpeg updated to 3.2 (2.8)
    • libva updated to 1.8 (1.7)
    • connman updated to 1.33 (1.31)
    • libressl updated to 2.4 (2.2)
    • systemd updated to 233 (229)
    • xorg-server updated to 1.19 (1.18)
    • samba updated to 4.6 (3.6)
    • MySQL replaced with MariaDB-10.1
    • HFS and HFS+ Filesystem support removed.
    • iSCSI support removed.
    • NFS, NBD, iSCSI Network boot support removed.
    • LIRC support removed, LIRC was always installed as a enhancenment to the Kernel RC drivers, and was only used for very old IR Hardware like classic XBox remote and others - which support is now dropped.
    • Apple TV 1 IR remote driver driver removed.
    • X11 AMDGPU, ATI (Radeon) and Intel GPU driver driver replaced by X11 Modesettings GPU driver.
  • Driver and firmware updates and changes:
    • updated WLAN and DVB drivers and firmwares.
    • updated Nvidia Legacy driver to xf86-video-nvidia-340, which removes support for legacy Nvidia GPUs not supporting VDPAU.
  • Kodi updates and changes (old version in brackets)
    • Kodi updated to 17.1 final (16)

Kodi 17 (Krypton) support

OpenELEC 8.0 release contain a Kodi major version bump. If you are updating from OpenELEC 7.0 or earlier we strongly recommend you perform a full backup before performing a manual update. If you experience issues please perform a soft-reset to clear OpenELEC and Kodi settings.

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 8.0 (8.0.1) Release

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 8.0 (8.0.1) on the downloads page

Posted: 4 months 16 hours ago by vanbeer #168964
vanbeer's Avatar
Thnx for the help. its working again!
Posted: 4 months 17 hours ago by sraue #168962
vanbeer wrote:
Looked in all the repos, but cant find it anywhere.

openvpn? is not a addon anymore, if you need the real openvpn client, not any 3rdparty addon to use openvpn
Posted: 4 months 17 hours ago by vanbeer #168958
vanbeer's Avatar
Looked in all the repos, but cant find it anywhere.
Posted: 4 months 18 hours ago by sraue #168957
vanbeer wrote:
Thanks for releasing 8.0.2. Can confirm that i haven't experienced any bugs yet on my RPI 2b. When you have time, could you add openvpn and rtorrent to the unofficial rep? Those are the only things i'm missing to have my system fully up and running. thnx

OpenVPN should be installed by default, please test. the other i will try to add the next days
Posted: 4 months 18 hours ago by vanbeer #168956
vanbeer's Avatar
Posted: 4 months 1 day ago by sraue #168948
OpenELEC 8.0.2 released openelec.tv/news/22-releases/186-stable-openelec-8-0-2-released . Users with non working (PVR) addons, mount issues with NTFS and exFAT drives and Installer issues should benefit from the fixes there. All other users should update as well.
Posted: 4 months 1 day ago by liveatul #168936
liveatul's Avatar
Upgrade from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 but still automount doesn't work so I manually create autostart.sh now it automount but still not auto share on the network and smbd restart not working. It only works from the setting interface to re-enable drive sharing. I need a solution so it can automount and auto share on the network.

Pl. tell me how I can re-enable drive sharing from ssh for time being.

My drive file system is extented fat.

I am looking for permanent solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted: 4 months 2 days ago by Spekdrum #168930
Spekdrum's Avatar
Hi, I updated from OpenElec 6.0.3 (I think) to 8.1 (cubox-i pro) and several movies that previosly were OK now are freezing (while sound is ok) at the same point every time. These movies are 720p while others at 1080p are playing well. I'm playing over network (NFS) like with openelec 6.x and I thing this problem is not related with network but with playback.
I did a tail -f on kodi.log while playing these movies and when the freeze happens it writes several times the same line:
WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

I tried a fresh install and the problem is still there. It happend on many videos that I could play without problems before, with same network configuration. The wierd thing is that those freezes are not random, they happens at the same point every time. CPU is not going specially high on those freezes.

Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT1: I tried with a fresh openelec 7.0.1 install and it works, no freezes. It seems a problem with 8.0.1 on certain videos on playback.
EDIT2: Tried Libreelec 8 and problem is there again. Its mostly Kodi 17 the problem. Cubox-i 4pro playback is broken in Kodi 17. Look here: www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/5tov7r/updated_to_krypton_videos_freeze_disablin/?st=j1t13yu7&sh=5ec9d145
Thanks!!
Posted: 4 months 2 days ago by yoyoma2 #168929
yoyoma2's Avatar
blueribb wrote:
[Manually upgrading from 7.01 to 8.0 caused the loss of my SMB (Samba) shares and also caused my system to freeze at one point...
Have you upgraded to 8.0.1? The transition to samba4.conf in 8.0.1 should ignore the old incompatible samba.conf and return openelec's samba shares to their default working order. If you want to customize samba (change workgroup or add shares) then you need to copy the (new to 8.0.1) file samba4.conf.sample to samba4.conf and edit it with your changes.

If you are stuck with 8.0.0 and don't know how to upgrade without the "Update" share being accessible. Install "putty" on Windows. With putty, ssh login to your openelec system with username "root" and with password "openelec" (without quotes). At the prompt issue this command:
mv /storage/.config/samba.conf /storage/.config/samba3.c
onf
Now reboot with the kodi menu or issue the "reboot" command at the prompt.

After rebooting, your openelec 8.0.0 samba shares should be back to their defaults since the old incompatible samba.conf is gone (saved as samba3.conf). Now update to 8.0.1 as usual using the now working "Update" samba share.
Posted: 4 months 2 days ago by scull #168928
scull's Avatar
scull wrote:
I hope this is the right log.
Thanks!

Is there any chance that clean 8.01 installation will resolve my USB flash drive mount problem? As much I hate to go through all setting process again, I will do so if it will solve the problem.
Thanks!
Posted: 4 months 2 days ago by elguavas #168918
elguavas's Avatar
Wuerzel wrote:
elguavas wrote:
hi, i have a cubox and after 8.01 upgrade i still have constantly flashing led after boot. thanks.
I've had the same issue after the upgrade to 8.0.0. The problem remained unchanged even after the upgrade from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1.

I've done a fresh install and the problem is gone...

Cheers.
W.

thanks for the reply. ;) i'd really like to resolve it without losing all my database contents with a fresh install though.

everything else is working fine since the 8.0.1 update (automount fix thanks!), but how can i resolve this annoying flashing led problem on 8.0.1 without a full reinstall? anyone got any suggestions? how was this actually fixed in the 8.0.1 update?

cheers,
e.
Posted: 4 months 3 days ago by Ottanta #168914
Ottanta's Avatar
Here is the log, thank you very much.

File Attachment:

File Name: log-2017-0...9.24.zip
File Size:32 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
Posted: 4 months 3 days ago by scull #168912
scull's Avatar
I hope this is the right log.
Thanks!
Posted: 4 months 3 days ago by theGuruWithin #168907
theGuruWithin's Avatar
Since upgrading to 8.0.1 I am having a problems with my RPI2 and the 150Mbit Edimax Mini Wlan USB Stick, OpenElec doesn't show any wireless connections (Wifi is active in the options). It looks like Edimax isn't recognized by system anymore... Also when i switch skins to confluence OpenElec tab is now missing too.

Posted: 4 months 3 days ago by sraue #168906
Ottanta wrote:
Hello.

First of all, thank you for your hard work.

I installed a fresh copy of OE 8.0.1 for my Raspberry Pi2, but USB drives don't automount. What can I do? Where do I found a log to send?

Thank you.

in the "logfiles" samba share
Posted: 4 months 3 days ago by sraue #168905
scull wrote:
Ottanta wrote:
Hello.

First of all, thank you for your hard work.
Thank you.

I was very satisfied with older version of OE, but nevertheless I upgraded my Raspberry Pi2 from OE 7.0.1. to OE 8.0.1 on and I have same problem. My exfat Kingston Hyperx 256 gb USB flash drive wont mount or automount at all? Do you have solution for this, it seams that is very common problem?
Thanks!

please post your log from logfiles samba share
Posted: 4 months 3 days ago by Wuerzel #168898
Wuerzel's Avatar
elguavas wrote:

I've done a fresh install and the problem is gone...

Cheers.
W.
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by elguavas #168895
elguavas's Avatar
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by scull #168894
scull's Avatar
Ottanta wrote:
Hello.

First of all, thank you for your hard work.
Thank you.

Thanks!
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by Ottanta #168890
Ottanta's Avatar
Hello.

First of all, thank you for your hard work.

Thank you.
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by blueribb #168889
blueribb's Avatar
I installed OE 8.0.1 and LE 8.0.1 on 2 flash drives. I ran them both in Live mode - connected to an Intel NUC. LibreELEC worked and connected to my SMB (Samba) network shares. OpenELEC failed to connect to my SMB (Samba) shares and then froze my NUC. I had to press the power button to shut it off.

I would like to stay with OE but can't recommend OE 8.0.1 to anyone unless it runs on my setup.
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by Aucamp #168885
Aucamp's Avatar
sraue wrote:
Aucamp wrote:
The files named original are as it were before the upgrade. The storage-Mede8er.mount is what I changed it to now to see if I can get it to work. Both versions work when I downgrade.

File Attachment:

File Name: storage-Mede8er.zip
File Size:1 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

Thank you for the assistance.

will check this, thanks for the report. can you make a new thread about this issue, so the messages will not be mixed with the other topics

New topic created, hope it is under the correct topic. openelec.tv/forum/76-network-filesystems/83505-system-maped-drives-not-working-in-8-0-0-8-0-1

Thank you very much.
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by blueribb #168878
blueribb's Avatar
yoyoma2 wrote:
In case anyone has samba issues in 8.0.1, make sure you are aware of the change from samba.conf to samba4.conf as sraue explained here.

I am aware of this but no one has taken the time to fully explain what to do to correct it. Not everyone here is technically proficient in editing or coding. I'm a Windows user and only use OE for Kodi. Manually upgrading from 7.01 to 8.0 caused the loss of my SMB (Samba) shares and also caused my system to freeze at one point.

Intel i5 NUC (currently running OE 7.0.1)
60GB mSATA drive
gigabit wired network
Windows 10 desktop media server
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by sraue #168877
fedajkin wrote:
I've spent two days trying to make this working on my Raspberry Pi3 with 16GB SD card - always finished with the same issue = can't install/update addon. Finally I tried the legacy version 7.0.1 and that was working immediately. Just by comparing the SD card partitions, it seems to me that the newest version has an issue with expanding the initial partition therefore it has disk space issues afterwards ... at least on my Pi.

on 8.0.1 ? can you post the logfile from logfiles share?
Posted: 4 months 4 days ago by fedajkin #168876