OpenELEC 8.0.2 release has been published. Users running OpenELEC 8.0.0 or later with auto-update enabled will be prompted on-screen to reboot and apply the update once it has been downloaded and enabled in some hours. Users running older OpenELEC releases or with auto-update disabled will need to manually update. If you would like to update from an older OpenELEC release please read update instructions/advice on the Wiki before updating. Manual update files can be obtained from the downloads page.

Kodi 17 (Krypton) support

OpenELEC 8.0 release contain a Kodi major version bump. If you are updating from OpenELEC 7.0 or earlier we strongly recommend you perform a full backup before performing a manual update. If you experience issues please perform a soft-reset to clear OpenELEC and Kodi settings.

OpenELEC 8.0.2 is a maintenance release for OpenELEC-8.0 series.

OpenELEC 8.0 series is a feature release. The main changes are:

• Platform changes:
    • New Platform WeTek Play 2Play 2 supported with a own Build.
      WeTek Play 2 brings endless entertainment to your living room. Enjoy the latest movies and series in 4K UHD, play games, browse the internet, keep up with the news, or use the DVB modular tuner to watch thousands of TV channels via satellite, terrestrial and cable connections.
    • New Platform WeTek Hub supported by a own Build.
      Taking advantage of the latest hardware advances, we’ve maximized performance and optimized design. Introducing, WeTek Hub, the smallest WeTek device yet, and one of the most powerful Android streaming devices on the market.
    • Raspberry Pi Zero W supported by Raspberry Pi (1) builds.
  • Core OS updates and changes (old version in brackets):
    • Pulseaudio updated to 10.0 (9.0)
    • Binutils updated to 2.28 (2.26)
    • GCC updated to 6.3 (5.4)
    • glibc updated to 2.25 (2.23)
    • LLVM updated to 4.0 (3.8)
    • Linux kernel updated to 4.9 (4.4)
    • Mesa updated to 17.0 (11.2)
    • ffmpeg updated to 3.2 (2.8)
    • libva updated to 1.8 (1.7)
    • connman updated to 1.33 (1.31)
    • libressl updated to 2.4 (2.2)
    • systemd updated to 233 (229)
    • xorg-server updated to 1.19 (1.18)
    • samba updated to 4.6 (3.6)
    • MySQL replaced with MariaDB-10.1
    • HFS and HFS+ Filesystem support removed.
    • iSCSI support removed.
    • NFS, NBD, iSCSI Network boot support removed.
    • LIRC support removed, LIRC was always installed as a enhancenment to the Kernel RC drivers, and was only used for very old IR Hardware like classic XBox remote and others - which support is now dropped.
    • Apple TV 1 IR remote driver driver removed.
    • X11 AMDGPU, ATI (Radeon) and Intel GPU driver driver replaced by X11 Modesettings GPU driver.
  • Driver and firmware updates and changes:
    • updated WLAN and DVB drivers and firmwares.
    • updated Nvidia Legacy driver to xf86-video-nvidia-340, which removes support for legacy Nvidia GPUs not supporting VDPAU.
  • Kodi updates and changes (old version in brackets)
    • Kodi updated to 17.1 final (16)

How To Upgrade To OpenELEC 8.0 (8.0.2) Release

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 8.0 (8.0.2) on the downloads page

Posted: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Phil44 #169190
Phil44's Avatar
i had the same result when i tried to upgrade from 7.0.1 to 8.0.2
Kodi didn't be able to boot.
using ssh, i saw thaht kodi boot and crash again and again

so, i decide t o create an apenelec from scratch.
Posted: 2 months 2 weeks ago by sraue #169175
OpenELEC 8.0.3 is released. See openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements/83562-stable-openelec-8-0-3-released . Please update to 8.0.3 and use the 8.0.3 thread to report issues or provide feedback.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #169143
beholder242's Avatar
EUREKA!

Been Googling around for Samba-related issues and found this post over on the LibreELEC forums:

Specifically, post #9!
The thread has a lot of details in it about how KODI seems to handle Samba connections using an apparently antiquated SMB library, but when I tried the solution in post #9, my problems on my OpenELEC 8.0.2 test box immediately went away and are surviving reboots. I'm able to add sources and consistently browse the file structure of those sources. Searching for sources by browsing the Windows Network is also working now, although my server machine is not showing up for some reason.

Anyway, with this apparently solved (ok, worked around), I may give 8.0.2 another shot with MySQL and see what results I get now!

EDIT: Deleted all my sources and dropped the advancedsettings.xml file onto the box and rebooted. Database got built and appears to be working, but my workaround for my SMB shares has broken on me. Back to the drawing board!

EDIT #2: Figured this out, FINALLY! I tried recreating my sources and instead of referencing the server by name, I referenced it by IP address, and this has solved all of my Samba Share issues. I'm now able to consistently browse the files on my server even between multiple reboots and MySQL is functioning as it should. I guess I never considered this option since I've always been able to reference my server by name in previous versions.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #169141
beholder242's Avatar
Been working on this for a while tonight because I really want to get my HTPC's back up and running!

So I downgraded to 7.0.1. Verified that MySQL connectivity is working, set up one Music source through SMB to my Windows 2012 R2 server. With 8.0.2, if I tried to browse the Windows Network, which should have brought up a WORKGROUP list, it would just sit there and spin, and if I ESC'ed out and tried another SMB operation, the system would lock. Under 7.0.1, I'm able to browse the Windows Network, successfully added a source for Music, was able to browse the files, survived between reboots and successfully scraped into the database.

Decided to grab my other Intel NUC and put 8.0.2 on it again, this time leaving the Estuary skin running. In my previous attempts, I'd changed the skin back to Confluence, so I was trying to eliminate some sort of issue with the skin as the problem. I went in (no MySQL set up on it, using local database) and tried to browse the Windows Network, but after about 30 seconds or so, it gave up and showed me no workgroups to browse. Went back, manually entered my source with same credentials and everything as on 7.0.1, and I was able to get into the share and browse around a little. Rebooted the NUC. When I went right to the Music -> Files section and browsed my Music source, I just got the spinning circles. Waited about a minute and hit ESC which gave me the error "Couldn't connect to network server."

At this point, all I can point to is some sort of fundamental flaw in the samba client in the 8.0.x releases.

I've attached the log files from this stab at 8.0.2. The interesting bits are between 03:08:46.076 and 3:13:11.317.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #169140
beholder242's Avatar
OK, did some more testing with this, turned debug logging on and selected the SAMBA Library for component-level logging. I tried adding my source again and after going through "Add Network Location..." the system locked up again.

Then I saw this thread: which talked about disabling the OpenELEC samba server. I turned off the samba server, rebooted, went back to add my source. I tried to browse the Windows network and got error 2, but I went ahead and entered my source manually and after I clicked OK, the dialog closed and the path was listed in the Browse window. I could select it and it would show my folder structure on my server. I said OK, it added the source, then I was able to browse through the Files dialog. Then I rebooted, went right back to Music (the submenu under the heading was blank, by the way, nothing listed about Playlists, Files or Add-ons), went to browse my source and got the spinning "Working..." in the corner, but no file list. In the logs I am attaching, I believe this occurred between 20:24:29.198 and 20:26:42.591 which is the point where I hit the escape key and got the error about unable to connect to the remote share. Attempted to change the machine name in the OpenELEC Configuration to "FamilyRoom" and then tried to open the music source again which resulted in the lockup at 20:28:50.123

I've attached some of the log files from these tests. Hopefully they shed more light on what's going on.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #169139
beholder242's Avatar
After messing around with Plex for a few days and finding the embedded client options there disappointing, I've decided to give OpenELEC 8.0.2 another go.
I installed a fresh copy of MySQL on my server, set it up according to instructions. Installed OpenELEC 8.0.2 on one of my Intel NUC's. verified all settings were good, and then created the advancedsettings.xml file. New databases were created upon reboot and appear to be being read correctly on subsequent reboots, so the database issue might now be resolved.

Attempting to add a media source through SMB is still not working. When I went to create a new Music source, I tried to browse the Windows network to start with and all I got in the lower corner was "Working..." and a circle spinning for close to a minute. Hit ESC to go back and manually entered the source information through "Add a Network Location..." After entering the correct information and clicking OK, OpenELEC locked completely up. Required a hard reboot. Went back in to create a source and instead of trying to browse the network first, went straight to "Add a Network Location...", entered the information as before and when I selected OK, the system immediately locked up once more. The SAMBA client on OpenELEC 8.0.2 is broken.

I've attached the last set of logs, but not sure what help they will be.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by fetterbr #169057
fetterbr's Avatar
Hi. I have an issue using both 8.0.1 and 8.0.2. I cant see the Audio hdmi connection in settings so i have no audio at all. I went back to 7.0.1 and sees the hdmi audio connection straight away. I use LG smart tv.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Ottanta #169054
Ottanta's Avatar
Hi! Just to tell you that with 8.0.2 my automount problems went away. Also the new Kodi can play all my ripped DVD (with OE 7.0.1 some of them would not go after the first screen).

Thank you very much for your work!!!
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by shedrock #169041
shedrock's Avatar
I don't have a log to post at the moment, but when I shut down my system, which includes the TV, Amp and Zotac box via a Harmony One remote, the Zotac box does not shut down. This does not happen with Helix, Isengard, Jarvis or Leia. I'll try to post a log at some point tomorrow.

Thanks,
Shedrock
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by liveatul #169038
liveatul's Avatar
Just updated to 8.0.2 from 8.0.1 automount is now working with exfat but incorrect time issue is still there even after manual ntp.

Pl. tell me how to fix it.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by DrFresh #169033
DrFresh's Avatar
Upgraded manually from the previous 7.0 to 8.0 (and now automatically updated to 8.0.2). Efter the first manual upgrade I had to manually add all my libraries and rescrabe them. Every library item was "lost". And every setting as well as far as I could see.

But worser still: video playback now "stutters" on every movie or TV-item no matter the source, quality, compression level etc. Files that played perfectly on the same HW (Intel NUC) in version 7. Not much but skips frames every now and then and it's very anoying to whatch.

Any one else sees this and what to do? Have never been a problem on previous versions; have been using OpenElec for ages...
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Grioni #169027
Grioni's Avatar
Sorry. Gave too little information.
The remotes I use are those HP Notebook Laptop PC Windows Media Center Remote Control 464959-001.
IR module connected is: 38 kHz TSOP4838 DIP-3 IR Receiver Module.
Problem: after upgrade to 8.0.2 remote not working anymore.
Log's: would need to figure out how to get to them.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by sraue #169021
JLan wrote:
I got a black screen after the upgrade from 7.0.1 to 8.0.2.
When I reboot the RPI3 with Hifiberry module I got the initial bootup screen "openelec" and after that the screen is black.
The logflles are attached. The system is reachable via SSH and Samba.

Where is the problem?

can you make a new thread? if you boot without the Hifiberry module kodi loads?
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by sraue #169020
Grioni wrote:
You actually removed LIRC / possibity to use normal IR remote!!!
Now I have useless device... :-(
Will try to search for 8.0.1 version, downgrade and stop upgrading ever again...
Or is there a solution to use XBMC IR remote?

Who said we removed support for IR remotes? LIRC was *only* used for classic XBOX remotes, some serial remotes (included here with a new driver) and RPI gpio remotes (which work with another driver too without LIRC). so the *only* remotes actually which will be dropped are the classic XBOX remote, which are hard to get this days and needs some soldering work to connect to USB. Other then that it was already dropped with 8.0.0. If you have problems with your remote please specify your problem and provide logs, then doing assumptions.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Grioni #169018
Grioni's Avatar
You actually removed LIRC / possibity to use normal IR remote!!!
Now I have useless device... :-(
Or is there a solution to use XBMC IR remote?
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by JLan #169016
JLan's Avatar
I got a black screen after the upgrade from 7.0.1 to 8.0.2.
The logflles are attached. The system is reachable via SSH and Samba.

Where is the problem?
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by sraue #169015
beholder242 wrote:
EDIT: Well, scratch that plan. I found an 8.0.1 disk image elsewhere, since it's not available here, and discovered that the 8.0.1 installer won't even start up on my NUCs. It just gets to the OpenELEC splash screen and shows version 8.0.1, but goes no further no matter how long I let it sit. Looks like my decision has been made for me.
try pressing ctrl+alt+f1 then ctrl+alt+f2 to get in the installer with 8.0.1
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #169009
beholder242's Avatar
As another follow-up to my 8.0.2 issues...
I just did a fresh install of 8.0.2 on one of my Intel NUC's. After getting the basic config done and setting its IP, I copied my sources.xml and passwords.xml back to the machine, which I copied them from prior to the re-install. After rebooting to make sure the new config files took effect, I attempted to browse to one of the shares on my Windows server and all I got was a spinning circle and "Working..." in the lower corner that stayed there for many minutes. Clicking Back on my remote got me an error that it could not contact the remote server. Attempting to browse again resulted in a hard lockup of the system.

Thinking maybe something had changed in the config file format for the sources, I rebooted, removed all my sources, and re-added them one at a time and made sure I could browse them. This seemed to work and I could browse all of my file shares. Then I attempted to get MySQL working again. I copied over the advancedsettings.xml, made sure the 8.0 databases were gone, rebooted... Kodi saw the older 6.0.3 database and migrated it. Everything appeared to be correct, but when I went to play something.....hard lockup. After rebooting again, attempting to browse any of my sources gets me the "Working..." ad nauseum again.

Seems like something is screwed up in the samba client. I am going to attempt downgrading to 8.0.1 and staying there, or taking a look at moving to Plex if my problems continue. I've been using OpenELEC for a long time, and have always loved it, but this upgrade has given me too many headaches.

I'm attaching the last 8.0.2 log file before I downgrade.

Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by ccdmas #168994
ccdmas's Avatar
yoyoma2 wrote:
Upgraded a RPi2 from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 and watching TV on from NextPVR backend is completely broken. If I'm lucky I get the first frame. Logs attached:

So it's not just me, but a more general problem.

openelec.tv/forum/72-xbmc/83529-kodi-crash-watching-live-tv-since-8-0-2
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by yoyoma2 #168991
yoyoma2's Avatar
Upgraded a RPi2 from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 and watching TV on openelec from NextPVR backend is completely broken. If I'm lucky I get the first frame. Logs attached:

File Attachment:

File Name: log-2017-0...4.13.zip
File Size:32 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #168976
beholder242's Avatar
As a follow-up to my previous post, I attempted to upgrade my other Intel NUC running 8.0.1 to 8.0.2. I shut down all other OpenELEC devices, deleted the newer databases from my MySQL and restarted the NUC to upgrade the database. Everything ran fine at this point, Videos, Movies, TV Shows, and Music all showed up on the main screen, except for a few newer items. Those newer items scraped into the database successfully. Upgraded the NUC to 8.0.2

My Music data is completely gone again, but this time I'm not having any issues accessing my Samba shares. No database upgrade was performed between 8.0.1 and 8.0.2, so not sure why this is reoccurring.

I've attached the latest logfiles from NUC #2. I will probably have to reinstall NUC #1 from scratch.
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by tguldener #168972
tguldener's Avatar
Is there a way to use the optical out on the wetek play 2?
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Archie #168971
Archie's Avatar
Hello!
I installed 8.0.1 on Raspberry 3 work's fine.
Many thanks for the effort
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beholder242 #168970
beholder242's Avatar
Upgraded yesterday from 6.0.3 to 8.0.1, with some issues regarding the MySQL database, but was able to correct them. Everything working fine by late afternoon.

A few hours later, I see that 8.0.2 was released, so I upgraded one of my Intel NUC's to it. (I have 4 client machines in total, 2 Intel NUC, 2 Raspberry Pi.) From that point on, the system would completely lock up whenever I tried to play a media file or even browse my media sources that are stored on a Windows server through SMB. Downgrading to 8.0.1 did not restore functionality. MySQL database issues also mainfested themselves again (MyVideos database is accessible and showing information, MyMusic shows no content and rescraping does not put the content back.)

What logfiles do you need for this?
Posted: 2 months 3 weeks ago by sraue #168961
ccdmas wrote:
Hi.

Just updated on RPI2 from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2, and now watching TV using the DVBViewer Addon is outright broken 100%. It plays the TV Stream for somewhere between 2 and 10 seconds (actually depending on the bitrate, HD Streams play max 3 seconds, SD channels for about 10) just fine, and then Kodi just restarts itself (just Kodi, not the whole system).

Let me know if and what further information I can post to debug this if wanted. Otherwise I'll roll back to 8.01.

please post the logfile you find in the logiles samba share, and make a new thread about this problem