OpenELEC 3.0.0 released

24 Mar 2013

The OpenELEC team is proud to release OpenELEC 3.0.0

OpenELEC 3.0 is built to support XBMC Frodo 12.1 and almost every part of the core OS has been updated and improved since the 2.0 release. The project now supports a broader range of mediacentre hardware than ever before, including dedicated OS images for the budget friendly Arctic MC001 and ultra-low-cost Raspberry Pi systems.

Raspberry Pi deserves a special mention as it’s been a labour of love for the OpenELEC team. OpenELEC was the very first XBMC distro to be demonstrated on development Pi hardware back in February 2012 while other distros were still talking about future plans and hoping for news on shipping dates. OpenELEC’s leading position was made possible by our close working relationship with the XBMC team; helped by our many users, testers and unaffiliated developers who collaborated to create the Raspberry Pi mediacentre experience. There are too many names to mention you all, but thank you for your hard work!

OpenELEC is also the only platform to support XVBA on AMD GPUs, a little fact that means we support more hardware accelerators than any other XBMC distro :)

We would like to thank our users, team members and partners for testing, reporting and fixing issues, creating how-to documents, developing new features, and their donations of hardware and funds to the project. We appreciate your continued support!

Thank Us!

If you want to contribute to the OpenELEC project, you can make a donation using PayPal. Donating is easy, takes only a few minutes and you do not need a PayPal account to make a donation. We have not set up our PayPal donation page to suggest a donation amount; please just donate what you feel comfortable with.

Be social, join our community now!

We invite everyone to actively participate in the OpenELEC community. In a short time we have become a bustling project with many keen users of all skill levels helping out daily. OpenELEC is for everyone and following us on social media not only keeps you up to date but helps the project by letting more people know about us.

OpenELEC 3.0 highlights and changes

• XBMC-12.1 (Frodo) - features include:
    • DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD via XBMC’s new AudioEngine (requires hardware support, and not possible on AMD and RPi/ATV)
    • Greatly improved Live TV and PVR support
    • Improved image support, allowing the database to use additional image types.
    • Support for the Raspberry Pi
    • Better Airplay support across all platforms
    • Advanced Filtering in the library
    • Advanced UPnP sharing

• AudioEngine brings improved detection of audio hardware, but may change the naming of audio devices and the way audio is handled on your system. If anything stops working after updating, please visit XBMC settings and update your configuration. You should also remove /storage/.config/asound.conf from your system.

• Path substitution should not be used to sync thumbnails and other art between XBMC devices in Frodo. For more information about this change see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries/Upgrading_XBMC_to_v12

• PVR support has been extended to a wide range of DVB devices and 4TheRecord, DVB Viewer, Mediaportal, MythTV, NextPVR, TVHeadend, VDR, Njoy N7 and VU+ support has been built-into the OS.

• With XBMC Frodo version stable, OpenELEC provides a solution for Raspberry Pi users wanting to use XBMC. Raspberry PI is the first ARM device that is officially supported by OpenELEC. We would like to thank "Gimli", "Popcornmix" and "FernetMenta" for helping us port OpenELEC to the RaspberryPi and accepting our patches and improvements so that other projects can benefit from our work.

• The dedicated ARCTIC_MC image has been created for our new partner Arctic to use on MC001 devices (all, including any barebones). For more information see: "Arctic announces passive cooled Systems with OpenELEC installed".

• The size of our active AppleTV user-base has been steadily increasing; in part due to the gradual decline in development among older homebrew linux distros. OpenELEC 3.0 has a number of improvements for Apple TV users; up-to-date CrystalHD and nVidia drivers, a host of patches to XBMC that improve HD playback, and new recruit to the ATV cause ‘Dag Wieers’ has been poking the kernel in ways that Kronenbourg would never dream of to understand behaviours, reduce size and improve performance. There are further great changes lined up for the OpenELEC 3.1 ATV release so stay tuned!

• AMD XVBA support has been stabilised, with code introduced to correct issues with H264 videos so you can enjoy them without artifacts. Our original plan was also to implement the new xvba-sdk 0.75 specification. This would add support for mpeg2 which is essential for LiveTV, and mpeg4 to give a nice improvement to codec support while helping to keep CPU usage low. However, we are stuck with an ageing driver from October 2012 due to severe problems with Vertical Blank Sync in every AMD driver released since then. Lots of feedback has been given on these problems but there are no signs of improvement from AMD. This puts the project in a tricky position where the list of issues slowly increases and we are powereless to do anything that helps our users. Our hope that AMD can rise to the challenge and fulfill their potential on Linux is slowly fading, and if nothing improves we may be forced into formally abandoning support for AMD devices to prevent a growing support problem.

For a full changelog on what's new, follow the link below:

You can find the new release of OpenELEC 3.0.0 on the downloads page

OpenELEC 3.0 is recommended for new installations, and as an upgrade to existing OpenELEC 2.0 installs. However, please note that OpenELEC 2.0 will not automatically update to 3.0. This is a deliberate move as we have observed a small number of issues with Frodo updating Eden databases; we want the timing of an upgrade to be something you choose (i.e. after you made a backup of your Eden configuration). Please ugrade to OpenELEC 3.0 using the manual update process:

BOOTNOTE:

OpenELEC 3.0 will be the penultimate release for ION 32-bit and Intel 32-bit users. Support for these images will cease with the OpenELEC 3.2 or 4.0 release. If you are currently using one of these builds the correct migration path is:

• ION i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) => Generic i386
  • ION i386 (with 64-bit capable hardware) => ION x86_64
  • Intel i386 (with 32-bit capable hardware) => Generic i386
  • Intel i386 (with 64-bit capable hardware) => Intel x86_64

Further reminders will be issued with the 3.1 release. If you have any questions, please ask in the forums.

Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by gtoons #69974
gtoons's Avatar
HWTest wrote:
gtoons wrote:
Greets from New Zealand,

I did fresh installs of this release to both my Zotac Zbox AD12 & Arctic MC001 over the Easter break. Everything is working fine bar TVheadend, where the 'Map DVB services to channels' button remains greyed out. Typically, I would get at least 33 services with the 3 muxes supplied by "dvb-t_nz_AucklandWaiatarua" DVB location. This shows as zero in the DVB Inputs/General/Info & Capabilities column.

I checked the TVheadend repository for issues and noticed this revision, "dvb: demux setup code went missing":
tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/reposit...b155e57fda282063c008

Could this be the problem? Is anyone else having the same issue?

You are not alone, I have the same problem.
Xtreamer Ultra2, Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T).
My workaround is copying the service files from/to /userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.tvheadend/dvbtransports

Thank god I had backups as this worked a treat with a little fiddling. Thanks for the tip!
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by HWTest #69884
HWTest's Avatar
gtoons wrote:
Greets from New Zealand,

tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/reposit...b155e57fda282063c008

Could this be the problem? Is anyone else having the same issue?

You are not alone, I have the same problem.
Xtreamer Ultra2, Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T).
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by RogerS #69341
RogerS's Avatar
Good news but for OpenElec (Fusion) users the biggest advantage would be support of HD audio bitstreaming. I hope somebody can confirm if the Open Source version will support this...
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by b4nd0ler0 #69320
b4nd0ler0's Avatar
Will this help to improve future support for AMD Fusion platform?
www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&i...opensource_uvd&num=1
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by ultraman #69171
ultraman's Avatar
Glacier88, if you can't download this files then it's something wrong with you computer, browser or your internet connection:
OpenELEC-Ultra.x86_64-3.0.0.tar.bz2
OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.0.0.tar.bz2
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by gtoons #69167
gtoons's Avatar
Greets from New Zealand,

tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/reposit...b155e57fda282063c008

Could this be the problem? Is anyone else having the same issue?

I tried restoring my settings using the XBMC Backup add-on to no avail. Thinking of doing a fresh install of the previous version (2.99.5) if no solution is offered. Note, I use two HDHomerun dual tuners which were working fine before this install.

Pastebin logs from Zotac mini pc:
pastebin.com/W4F2aQja
pastebin.com/u2e5vLdN
pastebin.com/juFVR4Ac
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by Glacier88 #68836
Glacier88's Avatar
@Chewitt: Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it. I did not know that the downloads were being hosted by a shared hosting box, and that as a consequence had no control over the box and it's configuration. You advice worked perfectly, and I was able to, for the first time, download the latest version of OpenELEC v3.0.

My "complaint" stemmed from my frustration of not being able to download a single copy of any of the images for my Xtreamer Ultra2 or RaspberryPI. I use my Xtreamer Ultra2 on a daily basis and as a consequence I'm always on the site, following the progress of the OpenELEC team so that I take advantage of all the latest cool features.

Thanks again for the help.
g
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by PerfectBlue #68802
PerfectBlue's Avatar
chewitt wrote:
@Glacier88: It's not something that we (as tenants on a shared hosting box) can control so you can stop complaining about it.
releases.openelec.tv/latest will give you the exact filenames on the webserver, prefix with releases.openelec.tv/ to download "direct"

What would be the position if somebody were to offer to mirror the download?
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by chewitt #68774
chewitt's Avatar
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by Glacier88 #68742
Glacier88's Avatar
I'm also looking for an alternate download site.

I've found that the Official Download site does NOT support resuming of downloads.

Unfortunately due to this my dodgy internet connection does not allow me to fully download this new version.

It's a pity, because as I understand it, setting the server to allow resumption of downloads is not hard to do. It should also reduce the number of downloads overall due to the fact that broken downloads can be resumed.

Thx
g
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by PerfectBlue #68529
PerfectBlue's Avatar
My Zotac zBox AD02 is an AMD box, and has never experienced any Vertical Blank Sync issues at all.

I had to Google it to find out what it actually was.

Please don't end development for it AMD.

Doing so will significantly reduce the choice of systems that we can use Openelec on. Narrowing your user base will make you dependent on a few large companies hardware.
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by Hyper #68435
Hyper's Avatar
Thanks OpenELEC and XBMC teams for the new release. :)
all1media wrote:

Am I alone in seeing the irony that the release notes make explicit mention of the new custom build for the Arctic MC001 box (which rely heavily on accelerated AMD video decode), but then go on to talk about possibly dropping support for accelerated AMD graphics!?

Even if the MC001-XBMC becomes available again (not sure it will by the looks of things), unless Arctic are about to come out with a new box with NVidia graphics, I wonder if the OE/Arctic association is going to be shortlived?
Posted: 1 year 7 months ago by vanman #68366
vanman's Avatar
Does anybody know of an alternate download location?
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by Sjonnie #68189
Sjonnie's Avatar
Kudos for this great new release :woohoo:

Been using OE since 1.99.5 (or something) and upgraded to every beta and rc. No probs ever.

Upgrade was a breeze as allways.

Donation on it's way to keep up this great piece of software

Greetz,

Sjonnie
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by geeuz #68151
geeuz's Avatar
Great work, thanks guys! Hopefully AMD improves the problems, my Fusion runs really great, please don´t abandon support for it!
Second Device (Raspberry) for Openelec arrives in a few days, can´t wait to install ;)
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by teeedubb #68108
teeedubb's Avatar
Congrats and thanks for the awesome release!
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by zuzuzu #68075
zuzuzu's Avatar
Sorry if this is a noob question but I can't "get more" skins after this update. Do you know what's wrong? I updated to OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-3.0.0.

Thanks.
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by stasik #68050
stasik's Avatar
first of all, well done!! really happy with the soft.

now a noob question: is it any difference between 3rc5 update to 3, and a fresh install of 3? i had in the past bad experience with upgrading (a few linux distros), but if its the case of just replacing a few files, then update is not that bad...
thanks
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by all1media #68031
all1media's Avatar
Thanks, can't wait to try this upgrade. It would be a shame to abandon support for AMD devices, generally systems based on AMD are much lower cost for similar performance compared to Intel. My systems are based on the A75 motherboard chipset and AMD A4 processor at 2.5GHz. Performance is excellent with dual cores idle at around/under 10%, bootup time
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by Kujo2020 #67997
Kujo2020's Avatar
Awesome. I've been holding out installing a new SSD until this release came out. I can't wait to upgrade.
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by grondinm #67983
grondinm's Avatar
Just want to say a big thank you. OpenELEC is the best experience on my RaspberryPi. Can't wait to get home and update.
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by kozzie #67982
kozzie's Avatar
Thank you guys, it works fantastic!! :D
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by JaiBo #67972
JaiBo's Avatar
Excellent I've been checking the news daily for this, thanks!
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by vanman #67967
vanman's Avatar
Would be nice if I can actually download it. Can you please enable "resume download support"?

I have a slow 'iffy' connection and it usually bombs after 10 minutes or so. About 14 to 20MB being downloaded 16 times.

I don't have much bandwidth left!
Posted: 1 year 8 months ago by sraue #67943
Hint: to comment simply login with your user :-)